My completely transparent moderator application

General discussion and socializing.

Re: My completely transparent moderator application

Postby telum12 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:34 pm

Ferinex wrote:I respect this reply, Telum, and to be clear, I don't consider that who do not speak Norse or any particular language to be objectively incompetent, but I do consider those who are incapable of using readily available tools to be incompetent, and secondly, incompetence from my determination does not also carry with it always a slanderous connotation. There are those competent in particular fields, and those incompetent. Good and evil is beyond this.

What tools, exactly, translate Old Norse? I somehow doubt you would even be able to realise which letter is which if you don't speak Icelandic:

The amount of correction / modernization I need to do to get google translate to create a passable interpretation is pretty huge.

Obviously, you're not reading a text that's not already translated to modern languages, right? That would be pretty incompetent...

Also I don't rly care you're just a shittard that should be banned for threatening and doxing people how are you still here.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby Ferinex » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:51 pm

telum12 wrote:
Ferinex wrote:I respect this reply, Telum, and to be clear, I don't consider that who do not speak Norse or any particular language to be objectively incompetent, but I do consider those who are incapable of using readily available tools to be incompetent, and secondly, incompetence from my determination does not also carry with it always a slanderous connotation. There are those competent in particular fields, and those incompetent. Good and evil is beyond this.

What tools, exactly, translate Old Norse? I somehow doubt you would even be able to realise which letter is which if you don't speak Icelandic:

*snip image*
The amount of correction / modernization I need to do to get google translate to create a passable interpretation is pretty huge.

Obviously, you're not reading a text that's not already translated to modern languages, right? That would be pretty incompetent...

Also I don't rly care you're just a *snip* that should be banned for threatening and doxing people how are you still here.

for the small price of only 2 subscription tokens, I will gladly offer my translation of this document!

edit, as always: keep in mind, the collapse of the realm, since we are also playing a game here, of the realm with which Jessie aligned herself (don't schlick TOO much at the mention of your name, mom, but stop tho for I don't judge), and the realm with which SS aligned theirself, came at the price of a pittance, 1 subscription token, and some political posturing. The hearthlands are a harsh bitch, open to any oligarch willing. The devs themselves, lacking omnipotence, were shocked at this information!! Consider this also a lesson in capitalist 'democracy'.
i guess they never miss huh
Ferinex

Postby Archiplex » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:10 am

lol
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby strpk0 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:00 pm

lmao
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby ricky » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:31 am

In a couple hundred years a graduate student on Mars is going to discover this forum archived in some digital masoleum and write his dissertation on it, titled:

The Information age in the 21st Century: early indicators of the connection between autism and internet usage

+1 to Zentetsuken for mod. He doesn't like jorb and jorb doesn't like him, which means if Zen hands down a verdict that isn't overruled it's because they both agree, not because jorb likes his mods.

Also, everyone - including me - is a retard for posting in this thread
Have a question? Need help? Tired of people asking questions? Haven and Hearth Wiki.
jorb wrote:Ideally the game should play itself.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
ricky

Postby VDZ » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:50 am

ricky wrote:if Zen hands down a verdict that isn't overruled it's because they both agree, not because jorb likes his mods.

Or it means Jorb isn't checking the logs. The whole point of having mods is that the devs can spend their time developing rather than moderating. A mod that needs to be kept on a leash is pointless.
VDZ

Postby bumfrog » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:21 pm

I have had some experience with this user and feel qualified to provide some nuance to the critiques of his character here.

For one, several of the posters expressing discontent with his petition for mod here could best be described as "social rejects" each for their own distinct and exciting reasons. I won't be naming names but we all know who they are, even if they don't have the self awareness to know that of themselves. They are generally disliked for their own personality flaws ranging from mental illness to social/developmental disorders to just being boring assholes, and several only continue to exist here by the grace of the dev/mod team's lax approach to moderation owing to early-00s internet attitudes a la chans and SA. However these users place the blame for the community's negative perception of them on the community itself and not their own transparent bad intentions or antisocial behavior. While it's true that, due to the community's roots in the aforementioned internet nihilism centers there is a wealth of trolling/griefing/whatever other schadenfreude-focused mal-intentions in Haven, these users, having been cast out for their antisocial behaviors, imagine a monolithic Cabal of Evil Trolls intent on keeping "good, innocent people" like them down.

While it is true that zentetsuken/aleck has power within the game community from which they have been ostracized, and true that he partakes in what could be called trolling at their expense from time to time, they are giving him far too much credit to put him in any kind of leadership role. We all know who the current top dog in the most socially powerful and in-game malicious Hafen trolling community is and it isn't aleck nor is he even remotely part of that player's faction. They are also misreading aleck's strategic toleration/low profile towards this person and his ilk as cooperation, when in fact this is a deliberate choice to avoid "kicking the hornet's nest". I would imagine this is particularly hard to grasp for the chronic hornet's-nest-kickers whose 4 or 5(!) digit post-counts contain overwhelming evidence for a social intelligence in the negative if they are not somehow 'pretending to be retarded' and frankly even if they are. Though I also figure that for such individuals being themselves to be more punishment than crime.

"The Trolls" are not monolithic, and aleck is at best warily complicit in what social power they do have. The ramblings of these social rejects are worthy of no further consideration.

However that is not to say opposition to aleck becoming a mod is without validity. The most compelling critiques come from the user "VDZ" who specifically cites aleck's own words. They paint a picture of aleck as hating the game/moderation/developers, as seeing its players as appropriately miserable for engaging with the game, and as being generally disgusted towards anyone who is an active part of this community. Taking aleck at face value I believe the point to be quite effective: from what he has said, it would seem he views the game and community with complete disdain.

However this is a surface level reading at best, and here is where that nuance I promised is most enlightening. The most succinct way to describe the highlighted statements is "projection"; aleck is correct to state that the game is a directionless mess, a game that the developers refuse to see as a game and so one destined to be both unfinished and without satisfying gameplay systems. The community is plagued with bad actors and autists looking to provide direction where j+l will not, who create systems that are typically obtuse and/or malicious but consistently half-baked. However all his statements calling the playerbase pathetic for sticking around this long apply most potently to himself. For whatever irrational reason aleck continues to be involved and hopeful despite all evidence pointing in the opposite direction. By his own logic none is more sunk-cost fallacied than himself, especially since he is somewhat more mature than the average troll or social reject that has played this game for over a decade.

Aleck's best-kept secret is that he very much loves Haven and Hearth and its community, even with these innumerable flaws. All his frustrations and whining about the developers, or all you morons, are his way of expressing how much he cares about this game even if he sees himself as pathetic for continuing to. He would make an excellent candidate for mod, though I'm not sure if even he understands how miserable it would be for him.

+1 but with a heavy heart.
If aleck wants to become a moderator he is more than committed enough to this community and would be the least, uh, "neurodivergent" person to fill the role in years. In fact he and Coles are probably the only people in the game who are both involved enough in the forums/community at large to do the work consistently and socially/emotionally intelligent enough to address moderation issues with a level head. However as a sworn enemy of the greens and of any kind of voluntary internet janitor it will certainly degrade my opinion of him should he actually be put in the position of 'does it for free' babysitter here, and it would surely alienate him from whatever groups of trolls his opponents here imagine him to be a part of.
Last edited by bumfrog on Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 18 times in total.
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby xTrainx » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:31 pm

Lol +1
xTrainx

Postby Jalpha » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:38 pm

Aleck is a toxic element in every environment he exists in. You don't give people like him any power. He is a sociopathic compulsive liar. Flips off the rails when anyone challenges his views. Produces numerous posts which add no value. He is a literal manbaby with next to null emotional maturity and to top it all off he has a drinking problem.

He should have become a man but instead he has had people to baby him his whole life.

I'm kind of confused how you could have that opinion without being a sock puppet.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby DonVelD » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:41 pm

Jalpha is a toxic element in every environment he exists in. You don't give people like him any power. He is a sociopathic compulsive liar. Flips off the rails when anyone challenges his views. Produces numerous posts which add no value. He is a literal manbaby with next to null emotional maturity and to top it all off he has a drinking problem.

He should have become a man but instead he has had people to baby him his whole life.

I'm kind of confused how you could have that opinion without being a sock puppet.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar