Marketing/promotion

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Marketing/promotion

Postby XSurfer » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:20 pm

Shri wrote:Sorry If I'm doing something wrong, again..
Just wanna comment a bit the fact... that even when I was investigating games on this world.. its was like 17k games (browser ones included), I needed to do before starting on my own game..
I kinda, don't remember I did see this one...
It was a pure, slight, chance, I did stumble in some forum.. some guy saying about this game, before I did found out about it and join.

I mean.. wtf? MMO RPG survival game like this should be known. Especially due to complexity in crafting and mining (really rare, to not just see stupid nods who respawn in same place and you farming em over and over).

'Don't starve' and many other survival games are rubbish compared to this game. Children's play. And still... if you google it.. its fraking hard to finde this game in any list of games.

Low promotion on such sites or what? I am wondering.

ps: On my first week of game play I just needed to go on reedit and put some comments + tags about this game, for future players/seekers. Im still ftp, but not for long tho.

HnH is definitely one of my most favorite games. Jorb and Loftar did have commercial success with another unknown game called Salem https://www.salemthegame.com/ when it was released. Currently player traffic is lower than HnH plus Jorb and Loftar are no longer involved with Salem. There was also a time when Salem had more players than HnH. Both games are very similar and also different.
XSurfer

Postby The_Blode » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:49 pm

vatas wrote:
The_Blode wrote:The server being able to handle more than a few thousand people is a big must, too.

(This is based on what I remember, but I'm rather certain I remember correctly. I do end up speculating a fair bit.)

I'd like to clarify that according to Loftar, the issue with scaling server capacity is software, not hardware. Assuming server wasn't rewritten alongside the client when "hafen" launched in 2015, it doesn't have the best multithreading support.

This means that no matter how much processing power you give to the server, the software has bottlenecks that make server increasingly lag out once X number on players are connected and are interacting with the game world.

Well, yeah, I know, it's just easier to say "Once we can carry it in our truck" instead of "Once we can find a way to disassemble the larger whole and divide the load in order to carry it in a truck that can't handle the entire load all at once"
The base method of sending info to the server and back is the bottleneck but my point still stands: the server needs to be able to handle more than a few thousand people.
The_Blode

Postby Necrisha » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:15 pm

The_Blode wrote:
Well, yeah, I know, it's just easier to say "Once we can carry it in our truck" instead of "Once we can find a way to disassemble the larger whole and divide the load in order to carry it in a truck that can't handle the entire load all at once"
The base method of sending info to the server and back is the bottleneck but my point still stands: the server needs to be able to handle more than a few thousand people.

Right now this is the biggest hurdle as far as supporting a larger player base, and one the Dev's probably won't make serious effort to tackle until they've implemented everything they want to implement, because once you chunk up and optimize an information distribution system you run the risk of introducing limiters in what you can further add without a complete overhaul of the optimized system.

This game has been in an early alpha state for years for this reason, when you actually think about it. Most proper MMO's have multiple instances and servers to get around that, but it seems to run strongly against Jorb and Loftar's Developmental style so advertising and seeking a larger player base is a moot point at the moment.
Necrisha

Postby The_Blode » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:04 pm

Necrisha wrote:Right now this is the biggest hurdle as far as supporting a larger player base, and one the Dev's probably won't make serious effort to tackle until they've implemented everything they want to implement, because once you chunk up and optimize an information distribution system you run the risk of introducing limiters in what you can further add without a complete overhaul of the optimized system.

Yeah, Dwarf Fortress was kind of planning on waiting until magic and such was implemented before going broad market, partially for this reason. no point in shoring up a bunch of stuff behind the scenes if you're going to re-break it repeatedly later on down the line
The_Blode

Postby vatas » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:01 pm

The_Blode wrote:
vatas wrote:
The_Blode wrote:The server being able to handle more than a few thousand people is a big must, too.

(This is based on what I remember, but I'm rather certain I remember correctly. I do end up speculating a fair bit.)

I'd like to clarify that according to Loftar, the issue with scaling server capacity is software, not hardware. Assuming server wasn't rewritten alongside the client when "hafen" launched in 2015, it doesn't have the best multithreading support.

This means that no matter how much processing power you give to the server, the software has bottlenecks that make server increasingly lag out once X number on players are connected and are interacting with the game world.

I'm not expert on computers/programming, but with this analogy, implementation of multithreading would be upgrading the road into something that two trucks can drive at the same time without wrecking each other.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Audiosmurf » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:28 am

KamilaPoole wrote:Hey there, guys. Have there been any updates since then? I guess they shouldn’t worry about financing that project. If they try bringing more attention to the game by using local seo service and smm services, they will get enough money and player retention to keep that game financed.

hello ms. poolebot just following up re: your seo proposal please do the needful
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby lordgrunt » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:34 am

bots getting better and better. still ez to spot.
lordgrunt

Postby HarryDresden » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:29 pm

The_Blode wrote:If the next 2 or 3 worlds add as much "tutorial" content as this world did, we're golden when it comes to the new player experience.
The server being able to handle more than a few thousand people is a big must, too.

At that point I'll see no major hurdles keeping the mass market away.

I think the biggest hurdle for newer players in regards to tutorials is going to be recipes and FEP's, at some point it's a system you have to care about and interface with and it's needlessly complicated.
The fact that cookbooks hosted off site are the only real resource to find what goes into what to whatever is an issue in my book.
Yes, I am a Wizard.
loftar wrote: bear fruit is not something I can predict,.

Beborn Beton wrote: "Don't Worry, They Won't Find My Body, I Want You To Know I Found Peace In Another World."
HarryDresden

Postby dagrimreefah » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:18 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:
fysl91650 wrote:It can be tough to get noticed in the crowded gaming world, especially if you're an indie developer with limited resources for marketing and promotion. But I hear you - this game sounds like a hidden gem that deserves more attention.

yah i agree the devs are really indie

That's a bot, the AI infestation is real
dagrimreefah

Postby Kazaanh » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:33 pm

I think making it appear on STEAM, would really benefit the game marketing.

Oh and also make sure to implement Locally hosted servers, cause it will get mixed reviews or below.

This game wastes its potential here, where no one knows about this game besides people who played it years before and occasionally check up on here to see the status of world wipes.

But yeah appealing to casuals, maybe its time or maybe make few types of servers ie Beginners/Vets/Hardcore or sth

Otherwise see ya in next 5 years
Kazaanh

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar