Doomsday Stream

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Doomsday Stream

Postby fallout » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:03 pm

Action cam would be interesting. Following the player with the most /or cycling between players with 4+ combat interactions for a time. Maybe if you recognized the area you could get out to assist one side.

Or a scrying items/objects in game that you could give to a character so they may break it and view your character for a time
fallout

Postby loftar » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:46 pm

I'm a bit on the fence. Initially I also thought that it would impossible for griefing reasons, but along the way I started thinking that due to the lack of minimap and everything, it's not necessarily easy to track people down using streamed footage anyway. Not sure if there are any "dataminers" out there who would be able to present conflicting opinions on that, though.

There are other issues as well though, such as for instance if I were to make something more permanent of it, I'd need a more permanent computer setup than the one I pieced together on a cardboard box in my living room for it, and such things. But the point remaining that it might be something I'd be open to consider, at least. It would also be a bit interesting to just replace the trailer on the front page with the CCTV stream.

I don't think opt-in would work. I feel that it would be almost exclusively opted into for trolling purposes. A delay would probably be a tremendously good idea, though.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby vatas » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:49 pm

loftar wrote:I don't think opt-in would work. I feel that it would be almost exclusively opted into for trolling purposes. A delay would probably be a tremendously good idea, though.

Unfortunately, you're probably right.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby MightySheep » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:12 pm

just do it lol, the melodramatic whiners will whine about anything

it would be fun, stream delay pretty much eliminates any competitive advantage you could possibly get and its easy to do
MightySheep

Postby BoxingRock » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:20 pm

loftar wrote:I'm a bit on the fence. Initially I also thought that it would impossible for griefing reasons, but along the way I started thinking that due to the lack of minimap and everything, it's not necessarily easy to track people down using streamed footage anyway. Not sure if there are any "dataminers" out there who would be able to present conflicting opinions on that, though.

This might be one of your all time hottest takes.
"Not to say that we're in any way perfect, but for the most part, what you call "lack of communication" is simply reflective of how we develop." - loftar
BoxingRock

Postby vatas » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:19 pm

loftar wrote:I'm a bit on the fence. Initially I also thought that it would impossible for griefing reasons, but along the way I started thinking that due to the lack of minimap and everything, it's not necessarily easy to track people down using streamed footage anyway. Not sure if there are any "dataminers" out there who would be able to present conflicting opinions on that, though.

The viewer can't even be sure which direction is north, but this "only" quadruples the amount of pixelmaps you would have to try comparing to a world map. However developing a system that could take an in-game screenshot and rip a pixelmap out of it sounds like a very tall order to me.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Zentetsuken » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:26 pm

People have been found from streams without minimaps probably 100 times. Most streamers of this game are covering their minimaps and still get found EVERY TIME.

Literally any player near water or near a biome that is regional will be instantly giving away their location. No programs are needed no "datamining" or anything special at all, landmarks and biomes are all that is needed. I have watched the discord chat pinpoint people from tiny cropped screenshots easily 100 times and have absolutely been able to do it myself within minutes.

Unless you are in the very center of a very common biome or underground you are 100% not safe from being found and it takes less effort to do this than it does to make a batch of lye.

That being said, do it.

Put the last nail in the coffin. :lol: Make the game that much less enjoyable for the casuals who keep it alive during the last 8 months of the world.
Zentetsuken

Postby MightySheep » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:42 pm

Whiners gonna whine. Literally any suggestion will have the same whiners saying how its the dumbest thing theyve ever heard in their entire life etc etc

This isnt the same as some clueless streamer showing off his location for hours and mapping his whole area for people to come stream snipe him

It would be a very delayed stream that switches between hundreds of different people randomly with no context, if someone actually managed to use that to some useful effect that would just be funny

This is something for casuals to enjoy, its only the ultra sweaty min maxing giga nerds who take some issue with this but why cater to those guys
MightySheep

Postby VDZ » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:20 pm

Thingwalls will likely greatly assist in locating players (if they're 'caught' walking from their base to the nearest Thingwall), as those environments will be very recognizable. Nonetheless...what's the big deal about knowing some random's location? In most cases it won't really matter (as long as no text (chat, parchment, runestones/signs, etc) is shown on stream). And even if it does occasionally reveal that someone has a localized resource inside the cave on his claim...is that necessarily such a bad thing? It will lead to conflict, but some tension isn't necessarily bad.

The only security thing I worry about is the stream exposing claims with security holes (improperly walled off, mine hole without pali around it, etc) which could lead to some sprucecap griefing. Then again, people are going to be griefing sprucecaps anyways. It could at least be tried and then written off as obviously a very bad idea in hindsight.
VDZ

Postby TwentyThree » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:31 pm

Perhaps randomizing the stream camera direction, removing chat bubbles, even making the stream catch a smaller, centered portion of the screen could work. Perhaps half the view?

You *could* take it one step further and make the camera only show one biome type, make it all generic forest, no borders to catch off of. Rivers and lakes would be a problem, obviously, but with half the view it would make it a lot harder.

Edit: Maybe shorten the time per player? 15-20 seconds? A day's delay too, would solve any sniping issues or trolling attempts without a massive time sink involved.
Last edited by TwentyThree on Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwentyThree

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar