low 3rd party support

General discussion and socializing.

Re: low 3rd party support

Postby Audiosmurf » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:45 pm

ItsFunToLose wrote:
jorb wrote:None that you would agree with, but I'm not excluding adding it. We talked about it just last week, in fact.

The best developers ignore their playerbase and never interact with them. Taking community suggestions and trying to preferentially implement some of them based on the input of your most efficient newb slayers is a recipe for absolute chaos.

Have a vision and stick to it.

If the autists who want to kill newbs all day are mad because they're too good at killing newbs all day and the playerbase dwindles because they've cultivated a culture of killing newbs all day and then complain about why no one wants to play with them, I really don't see how that's your fault for providing a sandbox. There's a very vocal minority that yell really loud and really often to create the illusion that their opinions carry more weight and are reasonable and justified.

Giving players a space to offer suggestions and discuss game mechanics can often lead to productive insight, but giving them the impression that they have some parasitic influence over the direction of the game is something I have never seen result in positive changes over the long term. Players will often make suggestions that subconsciously or consciously result in benefits to their playstyle. They use wordchoice, diction, inflection, tone, and all manner of linguistic persuasion to memetically infect the game designers with the idea that their playstyle is the preferred playstyle and anything that caters to their playstyle is good and anything that restricts or inhibits their playstyle is evil and wrong and dumb. The narrative is constantly and relentlessly framed, again, subconsciously or consciously, in a way that attempts to steer control of the direction of the game to their beneift.

It's like rock paper scissors, except players who throw rock first make fun of players who throw paper. Endlessly. Until players throw paper less often. So that rock wins more.

TLDR; your players, whether conscious of it, or not, are using language to steer the direction of the game to their benefit. Often to the detriment of others.

You've built something beautiful. Don't interact with us.

PS: A drink button for vanilla would be rad.

Honestly listen to this guy instead of the usual pack of jaded retards.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby bumfrog » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:47 pm

jorb wrote:So... what's the actionable development suggestion?

game sux lol
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:55 pm

DDD and Nightdawg have a lot of good points!!!!!!!!! This world the hunger system was so bad that many people I know killed their characters for hunger resets which is the dumbest thing ever. You shouldn't be GAINING from death. Also with making sip 0.01 instead of 0.05 would be very poggers. You should also decrease the amount of stamina that drains from sprinting as it's cringe to have to press drink every 2 seconds. Legacy drinking was a lot more reasonable iirc
ChildhoodObesity

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:02 am

> PVPers manipulate jorb with biased ideas for years until the game is so broken and terrible that not even PVPers like it
> PVPers complain that the game is now bad

jorb: please offer us actionable solutions

> PVPers manipulate jorb with biased ideas
Zentetsuken

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:15 am

In an alternate reality not having the drinking hotkey is the absurd overkill exaggeration you would use to describe a bad client. I can't think of a single more necessary thing.

I've had a couple instances where due to bad internet the world stops loading for me during PVP, and in those instances it was easier to escape by just clicking the mini-map/drinking than it is to escape on vanilla client without a drinking hotkey.

I could understand if it were a huge resource intensive undertaking, but I've personally written the same thing in under 5 minutes and I'm a fucking retard. You have 10000% spent more time talking about why you haven't/won't/should/shouldn't than it would take to implement it by orders of magnitude.

The problem with the game is whatever attitude that lead to you not hotfixing this day 1 instead of year 8+.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:19 am

o also probably stop breaking stuff that EVERYBODY likes because like 3 retards want to redesign the entire game and expect people to act like NPCs

"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Tomatik » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:34 am

@SnuggleSnail
Btw you did BIG jobe for newbies dat leav game after die from your and your friends hands
+rep
Tomatik

Postby vatas » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:58 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:Rework hunger, the current system is way more tedious than last world. God forbid you have to prevent starving in PVP, your hunger will be fucked. Remember people using hunger reset potions this world, because the system is that trash?

Lower sip amount from 0.05 to 0.01. Makes it so you don't have to carry 10+ waterskins everywhere, and feasting doesn't require as many barrels of drink.

Primer of some key points
  • "Hunger" really should be renamed to "Appetite" to make it more indicative what it actually does.
  • In its current state, Hunger/Appetite is not a catch-up mechanic. If you start a month late, you've wasted month's worth of Hunger ticking down. Take a month-long break, unless you gorged your character so full beforehand that it took month to recover, you've again wasted Hunger ticking down.

vatas wrote:My initial reaction to "you only get hunger when you level up an attribute" was "HELL NO" but the more I think of it the more I agree, also you could adjust the amount of hunger gained for catch-up mechanics.

vatas wrote:I've been thinking that hunger (really should be renamed to appetite, insert Cato copypasta) should be made purely a catch-up mechanic. Something like if you join when someone already has 1k stats, you get something crazy like 99% hunger reduction at 10 highest attribute, decreasing as you start to catch up.

Problems with this are:

1. Alts get the same benefit as brand new characters (this is a crux of issue with most suggestions that try to even out the playing field between "hardcore" and "casual" crowds like stat caps.)

2. Unclear how table/symbel would be useful (to everyone who is NOT the world leader in stats) in this situation. Making symbel is a much needed sink for various high-end materials.

IIRC developers of EVE Online tried to add mechanics/system that would help new players, and while I can't find the exact quote, someone stated that the veterans will get much more use of anything added to help new players. Off-topic EVE Online tangent below, some of it may be applicable to Haven in some sense but if you want to focus on this thread just ignore it.

Stumbled upon this when looking for the quote: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/x ... ity_space/

Some relatively fresh drama about suicide ganking in high sec, with a butthurt streamer trying to leverage his partner status in order to force CCP to remove ganking entirely.

More constructive suggestion is to make low security status (ganking lowers it) more punishing. If it prevented people from docking or boarding a ship (unoccupied ship floating in space) in a high-security systems, it would make reshipping 40 catalyst alts and repairing their security status harder.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:30 am

The upsetting part about the hunger system being so dogshit is that several people listed every single bad thing about them within a few hours of the announcement. The only way Jorbtar didn't see the same problems is if they literally didn't think about it at all. I don't think you even need to play the game to see the problems, they're so blatant just explain the mechanics to a random person and they'll see it's bad.

As well it's REALLY OBVIOUS they have some fetish for making shit complicated and mathy for no reason. They're putting in so much work to make thingA affect thingB, to make thingB affect thingC, etc, when they could just directly change the thing they want to manipulate. "I know, I want to limit stat gain with hunger, so I'll fuck your hunger if you eat anything regardless of what FEPs it gives. This will reduce stat advantage." Actual retard shit
SnuggleSnail

Postby Zentetsuken » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:07 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:The upsetting part about the hunger system being so dogshit is that several people listed every single bad thing about them within a few hours of the announcement. The only way Jorbtar didn't see the same problems is if they literally didn't think about it at all. I don't think you even need to play the game to see the problems, they're so blatant just explain the mechanics to a random person and they'll see it's bad.

As well it's REALLY OBVIOUS they have some fetish for making shit complicated and mathy for no reason. They're putting in so much work to make thingA affect thingB, to make thingB affect thingC, etc, when they could just directly change the thing they want to manipulate. "I know, I want to limit stat gain with hunger, so I'll fuck your hunger if you eat anything regardless of what FEPs it gives. This will reduce stat advantage." Actual retard shit

Hunger was particularly bad this world only because it was yet another bandaid.

I don't think there is any realistic 1 solution that makes eating equally validating for a nolifer and a noob. I don't think the answer is just "eat as much as you want with no limits" as a lot of people have suggested, I think there can be an intelligent way to implement a diminishing returns system. I think that people are offering solutions that are dishonest because they are not thinking broadly enough. PVPers and nolifers want no restrictions on food because they feel burdened by the insane amount of other chores they have to worry about. This is valid, but it's also sad and bad because it's leaning in to the assumption that the ONLY thing that will get fixed is hunger.

The entire food and eating system is just an Olympic sized swimming pool full of fluff and it needs to be reimagined. It would be very cool if there was a way to make way more foods relevant and make cooking and crafting a more engaging and fun experience, even if it was filled with weird quirks like diminishing returns, cravings? some form of hunger/energy that wasn't a bandaid mountain?

In the context of imagining a haven where everything gets made better, I think that having more than 20 out of 100000000000 foods being relevant could be fun. I think we should look at solutions that = maximum fun and then work backwards and consider how they could be implemented and all the stuff that would need to change down the ladder.

Fun eating that has some glimmer of realism in that you can't eat 1000 portions of the exact same thing and just have a bot cooking forever?

Okay, well maybe the act of crafting shouldn't be such shit, how do we do that?
Make the interaction with machines not some "stuck in place" annoyance?
Make a larger variety of bigger storage containers?
Make crafting tools like fire or cauldron have a radius around them of stockpiles/containers they can grab ingredient from?
Make crafting instant, or be able to craft in batches, or maybe even make some neat little minigame that could allow for a little fep bonus if you do it perfect?
Make table upkeep not a retarded chore, make tables replace items from inventories automatically, make symbel use be more forgiving?
Make hunting more fun and interesting?
Fix animal AI?
Make animal nodes shuffle and reset?
Implement tiers of butchering with more interesting rewards like in Salem?
Making butchering faster?
Allow us to stockpile meat, even if in restricted zones?
Make foraging more fun and interesting?
Make the world feel more alive while we are out foraging?
Make forageable nodes reset with seasons?
Making rare variations of foragables, areas where they can spawn in bunches, more variety to the shit we see while we are out and about, like random little events?
Remove hunting and foraging necessities upgrades from credos?
Make farming more interesting and automated?
Allow farm harvests to automatically fill stockpiles in a certain radius?
Remove the finickiness from quality increase in farming?
Make the retarded WWW harvesting lottery pool not be reliant on farming because nobody is foraging with a character that has 100s of farming?
Making all crop stockpiles uniform in size and how much they hold and make that number very high.
Allow for intuitive and easy and automatic ways to store, take and sort seeds by quality and grab/move them in large numbers without accidentally mixing qualities.
Make dealing with livestock not a torture?
Make livestock breeding not one of the most complicated and ridiculous tasks in the game?
Eliminate the uncertainty from livestock breeding so literally anybody can understand how the stats work and which are important?
Make swill variations more uniform and blanket increase them?

Reimagine the energy/fep balance while eating to make it less annoying?
Increase the inventories of all cooking devices like ovens and cauldrons?
Make it so mining and other hard labour is not such a ridiculous drain on stamina?
Make it so stamina management is less of a pain in the dick?

Honestly I am sure there is way more but I got bored.

This is why PVPers give bad suggestions, because nobody thinks that all these many many things are going to get fixed, so they just want the version of the bandaid that is going to help them play the way they want.
This is why I say that we should just 100% remove things that are broken, like PVP, because I also do not believe that the long and exhaustive list of things that ACTUALLY need be addressed are actually going to be, and removing shit until you have time to fix it is a bandaid that I think works for lots of people.

We are literally all just arguing over which bandaid we think is best because nobody thinks it's realistic to take 100 steps back and think about the big picture.

That is sad as fuck.
Zentetsuken

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar