Wild plants -- solid idea ruined by the implementation

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Wild plants -- solid idea ruined by the implementation

Postby Reiber » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:06 pm

RetroWaffles wrote:
AlexNT wrote:Straw is stupidly OP on day one.

What's so good about straw on day 1? Seems like fabric from string grass has way more crafts. Are bee skeps early just that important for speeding up other crops/wax production?

no, having more wax early is nice, but untill you have domesticated normal crops beehives are not that usefull,
it makes you less dependant on having 24 people checking swamps for candleberrys every 10 minutes though,
Reiber

Postby Harunobu » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:43 pm

I am finding a ton of the same seeds from WWW; lot's of hemp, some millet, some turnip.

No grape, no pumpkin, just one flax.

Could it be linked to regions? Can of course always be RnG, but it seems a bot off.
At least, their rarity may not be equal.

I think it is a cool new idea, though. But I'd prefer if every type of crop would need to be created from wild varieties. And that the WWWs only appear based on cultivated forms that players already created in that area.
Harunobu

Postby Reiber » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:32 pm

Harunobu wrote:I am finding a ton of the same seeds from WWW; lot's of hemp, some millet, some turnip.

No grape, no pumpkin, just one flax.

Could it be linked to regions? Can of course always be RnG, but it seems a bot off.
At least, their rarity may not be equal.

its based around the crops growing in your area,
i think hemp just was one of the first plants that domesticated out of the massive stringgrass farms of villages that rushed banners&snek,
grapes might have been one of the first planted crops, but it seems to only take effect if there are fully grown plants in your area, and the insane growthtime of trellis, makes is show up way later in www,

same as with pumpkins, long growth time, of gourds, and pumpkins themself delay them spreading,
Harunobu wrote:I think it is a cool new idea, though. But I'd prefer if every type of crop would need to be created from wild varieties. And that the WWWs only appear based on cultivated forms that players already created in that area.

thats exactly how it works, people planting every crop had to be domesticated, www are just an catchup mechanism, wich plant it becomes,rarity,and quality are entirely dependant on crops being grown around their spawn.
Reiber

Postby Harunobu » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:41 am

Not saying my experience doesn't match this. The latest batch of WWW was also mostly hemp.
I didn't expenreice everything being vacuumed. And even if that's the case, when you miss out on the non-cultivated wild-types, you get the WWW as a benefit from other people doing the world for you.

Can't say I understand the OP. I don't see how straw is OP. I don't remember seeing 'wild corn'. Isn't it 'wild flower', 'string grass', 'gourd' and 'wild tuber'?

My only 'criticism' would be that this is mostly a theme/setting update, and not an update that adds significant game play. The WWW now make sense.
Harunobu

Postby AlexNT » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:01 pm

Harunobu wrote:I didn't expenreice everything being vacuumed.

Harunobu wrote:I don't remember seeing 'wild corn'. Isn't it 'wild flower', 'string grass', 'gourd' and 'wild tuber'?

Rofl, I almost spit my tea at work reading this. Isn't it funny how you didn't even realize "wild corn grass" ever existed? (The one that produces grains and straw.)

I didn't say "everything" was vacuumed. Just corn. Although if the autists picking all corn realized at that point, that string grass produces harvests in 24h and can be used for easy early cloth, you'd probably see that one wiped out as well.

You can probably still find intact fields of "gourds" and the rest, because they are useless trash.
Last edited by AlexNT on Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexNT

Postby AlexNT » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:08 pm

RetroWaffles wrote:

What's so good about straw on day 1? Seems like fabric from string grass has way more crafts. Are bee skeps early just that important for speeding up other crops/wax production?

You make 2 skeps day one = you don't have to farm wax for day 7 mine.

Also chicken coops = eggs = bacon as soon as your hunters can kill boars.

You normally only get straw by day 5-6: 1 day to find (you need 1-2 players dedicated to rushing wwws -- which in this world didn't even spawn day 1, btw), 1 to dry, 4 to grow (assuming you found enough seeds on day 1, otherwise another 4 days until the second harvest). Which means day 7 mine = one week of swamp slavery for candleberries.

In other words, day 1 straw means day 8 bronze is that much easier (swords, armor, anvil, massively upgraded table, ... -- essentially, you graduate into midgame at that point).

Reiber wrote:
RetroWaffles wrote:

no, having more wax early is nice, but untill you have domesticated normal crops beehives are not that usefull,
it makes you less dependant on having 24 people checking swamps for candleberrys every 10 minutes though,

Saying it like it's no big deal, lol.

Reiber wrote:stop whining that people that settled and explored the world day 1 got behives an week before you, allowing them to grow useless wildcrops faster

We started when the server went up, and we had metal within 24h. And our palisade went up on schedule (much sooner than string grass would have had any impact -- string grass is OP for flags, it comes too late for pali). But we had to farm our wax the hard way, because no one in our group happened to spawn next to corn grass (for a while, we kept running into wild flowers exclusively, so assumed they were the only wild crop, until it was too late). And you know perfectly well it's not about "speeding up crops", as your other post proves, so don't play dumb.

1 bee skep = 1 extra person (because now they don't have to be a swap slave).

2+ bee skeps = you can spam mines, if you don't like what you get in the first one.

Tell me again how it's not an advantage.
Last edited by AlexNT on Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexNT

Postby Harunobu » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:25 pm

AlexNT wrote:
Harunobu wrote:I didn't expenreice everything being vacuumed.

Harunobu wrote:I don't remember seeing 'wild corn'. Isn't it 'wild flower', 'string grass', 'gourd' and 'wild tuber'?

Rofl, I almost spit my tea at work reading this. Isn't it funny how you didn't even realize "wild corn grass" ever existed? (The one that produces grains and straw.)

I didn't say "everything" was vacuumed. Just corn. Although if the autists picking all corn realized at that point, that string grass produces harvests in 24h and can be used for easy early cloth, you'd probably see that one wiped out as well.

You can probably still find intact fields of "gourds" and the rest, because they are useless trash.

No, because I live on a continent and there is basically no one else here.

If you are too stupid to drink tea, don't drink tea.
Harunobu

Postby AlexNT » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:32 pm

Harunobu wrote:If you are too stupid to drink tea, don't drink tea.

I'm certainly not quitting tea over your stupidity.

How about instead of being busy looking dumb by trying to look smart, you actually read the thread? Ther's a bunch of useful information there that you clearly don't know.
AlexNT

Postby Reiber » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:17 pm

AlexNT wrote:dumb shit.

my man, you can get enough wax in one day by just harvesting wild beehives for you lvl 2 minehole even as an hermit, having your 2 hives 3 days earlyer than last world dosnt change anything, thats 2 wax maximum in 7 days.

and the people that plant all the stringgrass that will leave you with an pile of near useless q11 primitive cloth just to get the beeskeps running, could have produced more wax by raiding 3 beehives, wich takes way less time, even if you use bought pyres.

stringgrass wont dissapear anyway, because people just harvested 2 fields of it and have had 200000seeds of it laying around in their base before it turned intoo hemp

the main benefit of early beehives is that your stringgrass grew faster, the fibres are near useless , same as the seeds,
it just turned intoo hemp faster, wich you can now just get by gathering www,

also i can 100% confirm, wild crops do respawn, if you still cant find wild corn, its because newspawn hermits still pick it up, even though there is no reason for that anymore,

and who the fuck cares about day 2 eggs and bacon, with the changes to hunger, you can eat anything you want this world for energy, gulp down grasshoppers, heck, if you go cavehermit this world you can litterally just suck the juice out of the walls you mine now,
Reiber

Postby Harunobu » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:22 pm

AlexNT wrote:
Harunobu wrote:If you are too stupid to drink tea, don't drink tea.

I'm certainly not quitting tea over your stupidity.

How about instead of being busy looking dumb by trying to look smart, you actually read the thread? Ther's a bunch of useful information there that you clearly don't know.

No one wants to learn about your 24 hour metal fanfic.
Harunobu

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar