Wild plants -- solid idea ruined by the implementation

General discussion and socializing.

Wild plants -- solid idea ruined by the implementation

Postby AlexNT » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:59 pm

Straw is stupidly OP on day one. Any patches of wild corn were vacuumed on sight by whoever found them first, leaving their groups with 1-2 weeks advantage over everyone else (given how wwws either didn't spawn outright initially, or had their detection requirements raised substantially) .

String grass is close second. Although I guess since its benefit wasn't as obvious, it did last for much longer --- certainly not going to be the case next world, if the mechanic remains unchanged.

Did this game really need another mechanic to give massive advantage to veteran groups (favoring larger groups) from the very start? Also seems like a lot of wasted effort for something that effectively didn't outlive the first week since start.
Last edited by AlexNT on Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlexNT

Re: Wild plants -- solid idea, silly implementation

Postby HarryDresden » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:06 pm

My main issue with the new crops is their sparse appearance. There's one small patch of a single type in a biome, rather than a few interspersed throughout the various biomes. They need to be far more widely spread and variant.
Yes, I am a Wizard.
loftar wrote: bear fruit is not something I can predict,.

Beborn Beton wrote: "Don't Worry, They Won't Find My Body, I Want You To Know I Found Peace In Another World."
HarryDresden

Postby Audiosmurf » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:08 pm

I'm curious if they'll respawn yearly or if we just transition into full WWW-mode after the first week
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby AlexNT » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:16 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:I'm curious if they'll respawn yearly or if we just transition into full WWW-mode after the first week

If they don't respawn each spring -- that'd be beyond stupid: a "feature" that exists for the first 3 days in a year+ period.

Still, randomly handing some groups 1 week of progress on day one feels like the mechanic was not very well though out.

I mean, what did they expect would happen, given how straw is normally timegated harder than coal? (And this world, ironically, it is even worse for those who didn't luck out -- or just missed the launch by as little as a couple hours.)

HarryDresden wrote:My main issue with the new crops is their sparse appearance. There's one small patch of a single type in a biome, rather than a few interspersed throughout the various biomes. They need to be far more widely spread and variant.

I'm not entirely sure about that. See, string grass is as valuable as straw, but it didn't get cleaned out nearly as fast (it could be my limited sample size, though). My theory is fiber is not useful in small quantities like straw is. If the fields were bigger, you'd have people wiping them out on sight, to make day one sneks / village flags
AlexNT

Re: Wild plants -- solid idea ruined by the implementation

Postby Joe69 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:03 pm

hay there calm down an incentive to be there at the start. I was still finding patches on day two
I fully look forward to jorb and loftar fixing several mechanics and bringing back updates, because at that time you chuckleheads are going to be more marginalized than lawn furniture in winter.
Joe69

Postby HarryDresden » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:23 pm

AlexNT wrote:
Audiosmurf wrote:
I'm not entirely sure about that. See, string grass is as valuable as straw, but it didn't get cleaned out nearly as fast (it could be my limited sample size, though). My theory is fiber is not useful in small quantities like straw is. If the fields were bigger, you'd have people wiping them out on sight, to make day one sneks / village flags

There are multiple time gates in the way of Day 1 Snekks and Idols. Idols take 3 days to be ready to light, Snekks and Knarrs require hard metal which is gated to Level 3 and the initial pyre per level is 1 week, then there is also tar. While you can go around hitting every tarpit possible there's going to be some people hit before you just as a matter of being closer and not having to scout as far.
Yes, I am a Wizard.
loftar wrote: bear fruit is not something I can predict,.

Beborn Beton wrote: "Don't Worry, They Won't Find My Body, I Want You To Know I Found Peace In Another World."
HarryDresden

Postby Fostik » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:26 pm

I don't see them bad or ruining/benefiting anyone more than others.
As world progression were slowed by other mechanics - molds and mine pyres, slowing progression with straw and cloth made no sense anymore, so this change brought crops to the early game along with materials required for early game.

I'm so happy I don't need another 3 weeks to months to multiply everything to the needed quantity until I will be able use fibre for crafts and not foraging for it like a hobo.
this 1 is a good shit.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby maze » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:27 pm

I'm still finding patches of crops~ they are everywhere; but I am bias as I am the dude who mapped the world.

The crops bring about a early game world that does not look bare of resources; we've been asking for more things to be just there to populate the game world, exploration should be gates to other things rather then gating farming. its confusing on a new player prospective.

I've seen patches of crops regrow, but that might be a trick to the mind...
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby AlexNT » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:33 pm

maze wrote:I've seen patches of crops regrow, but that might be a trick to the mind...

If they regrow then that makes me largely wrong (very much happy to be wrong in this case -- this is otherwise a cool mechanic).

If they don't -- then they give a major advantage to whoever finds them (and is not stupid) vs whoever doesn't.
AlexNT

Postby Reiber » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:19 pm

in general the only wildcrop that is collected to extinction is corngrass, as you get the straw from them right away,
stringrass only drop fibres after you have planted it yourself, so people just took 1-2 fields of it and planted the rest, wich allows you to expand your vclaim considerably faster than previous,
the other crops have been next to useless, aside from eventually domesticating itself, wild tubers make your stake and tubers worse than just eating the meat grilled,

now that real crops have been domesticated, and www spawns abundantly the wild crops are basically obsolete, even if you are behind now, or just started, you can just skip the wildcrop stage
Reiber

Next

Return to The Inn of Brodgar