Hafens barrier to entry

General discussion and socializing.

Re: Hafens barrier to entry

Postby Aerona » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:26 am

This again... No, it's not a core part of the game, it's just an option in the mid-to-late game. Fighting other hearthlings is no more central than exploring every biome, leaving the continent, baking or steel-making. What are core parts of the game are eating, crafting, harvesting, and exploring at least your hearthling's local area. Most players will never have their hearthling fight another player's and are fine with that.
Aerona

Postby TheServant » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:42 am

Aerona wrote:This again... No, it's not a core part of the game, it's just an option in the mid-to-late game. Fighting other hearthlings is no more central than exploring every biome, leaving the continent, baking or steel-making. What are core parts of the game are eating, crafting, harvesting, and exploring at least your hearthling's local area. Most players will never have their hearthling fight another player's and are fine with that.

i think you should play a bunch before shitposting in forums...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E ... ger_effect
Aristotle wrote:Therefore it is fitting for the women to be married at about the age of eighteen and the men at thirty-seven or a little before — for that will give long enough for the union to take place with their bodily vigor at its prime, and for it to arrive with a convenient coincidence of dates at the time when procreation ceases.
TheServant

Postby noindyfikator » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:46 am

Aerona wrote:This again... No, it's not a core part of the game, it's just an option in the mid-to-late game. Fighting other hearthlings is no more central than exploring every biome, leaving the continent, baking or steel-making. What are core parts of the game are eating, crafting, harvesting, and exploring at least your hearthling's local area. Most players will never have their hearthling fight another player's and are fine with that.

When I read your posts I want to write really bad things about your thinking and how you understand the game but I don't want to get banned.

During last 3 words devs went mainly into PvP content. Thingwalls, Realms, Siege changes etc. They spent more time on it than on farming or other things. It's obvious that players want to have at least BASIC PVP PLAYABLE client made by developers to enjoy that parts of the game.
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby Aerona » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:56 am

Playing a bunch doesn't protect you from being full of shit. What I said is true regardless of your hopes and dreams to the contrary. Siege weapons and warriors aren't made from blood and bones, they're made from crafted and harvested resources. This is not, actually, a battle royale, and reflecting the ancient world cultures the game is based on, there's only a small warrior elite terrorizing and/or lording over a majority pastoral/agrarian population. The game just wouldn't be H&H if everyone had swords, mail, and battering rams, there's no NPCs to build the walls and halls here.

About the fighting in mountains example: The maximum irony would be if the player using the flattening client loses a fight because they have no idea what's happening in an indirect ranged weapon engagement, or when a melee fight is going up or down a slope. I'm sure the "PvP clients" could adapt, but there's no reason that terrain shouldn't have an effect on combat, and the reason why it's so easy to do away with the visuals is because height advantage and line of sight don't have much impact right now.

Obligatorially pointing out it's impossible to LARP in a video game.
Aerona

Postby noindyfikator » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:07 am

Aerona wrote:indirect ranged weapon engagement

Stop writing please
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

Postby Aerona » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:15 am

Why, was that too vague for you? Do you need it spelled out like "a fight where one hearthling makes rocks and sticks go fall down on another"?
Aerona

Postby Kaios » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:21 am

Your points are well thought and logical Aerona, these dummies don’t know what they are talking about.
Kaios

Postby Hasta » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:22 am

Aerona wrote:What I said is true

I wholeheartedly agree with the points you've made. My years of forum fighting are ways behind, still I can't help but smile warmly seeing that there is still unwavering eloquency present to diversify the opinions.
Hasta

Postby overtyped » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:24 am

Aerona wrote:The maximum irony would be if the player using the flattening client loses a fight because they have no idea what's happening in an indirect ranged weapon engagement, or when a melee fight is going up or down a slope.

Did you hit your head?
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby maxeusz » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:25 am

Can't we just fix that by the simple rule that the custom clients are either public (accessible for everyone) or prohibited and bannable?
maxeusz

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar