HnH Needs Adjustment to Wipe Frequency or Progression

General discussion and socializing.

Re: HnH Needs Adjustment to Wipe Frequency or Progression

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:52 am

Ø wrote:What happens if the play style of factions changes to nomadic griefing at the beginning of the world? I doubt that would happen, but I like to ask dumb questions. If a single faction goes out of its way to destroy as many starting villages as they can would they be able to snuff out the efforts of the other factions and have free reign over the world by getting the rest to quit? I don't think the world is small enough for this to happen, though.

To make a secure base, you need 14ish hours to dry 10 molehide, then like another 14ish hours for your molehide to finish tanning (I don't know the exact figure, I just know molehide is in this ballpark.) Then you place a palisade cornerpost, and within another 36 hours your palisade will not be hand bashable by existing characters without a pickaxe.

You will need your base to be unseen by a dedicated attacker within that period, which requires some degree of secrecy if you're worried about someone attacking you.

Snekkjas require hard metal, which you can't get in the first week.
People have limited will, not as many thingwalls discovered, and there is no tobacco or other accessible travel weariness elimination mechanics in the first week.
With the world as large as it is, factions can at best keep people from settling in their immediate vicinity in the early world even if they constantly patrol the area. If they went "full nomad" and gave up all attempts to build their own base and simply troll others... they might effectively stop some people from building, but at the expense of their own infrastructure, and they'd be effectively culled whenever they fall asleep because they don't have their own palisades up to defend their hearthfires where their characters will be logged out.

If you really want to fuck off, you can take a bunch of random whirlpools and end up somewhere likely far away from spawn, then move about 45 minutes away from the whirlpool and get several minimaps off the river system, then even if you're in a world like the one we were in where everyone spawned relatively close, the chances of someone stumbling upon your base and stopping your construction are next to nil.

Also, let's assume again you knew you were going to be targetted and wanted to put up a palisade anyway.
Just do this:
This is how we broke a multi-faction alliance trying to keep our exterior palisade wall down in the lategame... and they had bots, with 600+ strength, and sledgehammers. (Albeit, we also had fighters to make this very difficult for them.) But just imagine trying to break all of these early game.

All you need is 10 leather to get started, which is a little over 2 days of hiding some racks and tanning tubs.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Ø » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:59 am

Nice. Thanks for answering my stupid question. This was fun for me. And informative.

Next stupid question:

If short worlds were ever implemented what is the anniversary date of the first world and would that be a good date to use as the start of the next world?
Ø

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:08 am

No clue.
First posts on the forum appear to be April 4, 2009.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby DonVelD » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:54 pm

nah dont adjust wipe frequency, it'll drown you
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby caiustardius1 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:20 pm

This entire thread is very interesting, clearly devs don't want shorter worlds for one reason or another regardless if it will indeed improve gameplay. I have to say I do have an elegant solution that may lessen long world anxiety and lack of goals, I made a thread on the Critique board, it doesn't have too much traction so allow me to elaborate here.

Essentially make fixed dates for World start and end, that will help players planning long term goals and avoid running out of things to do in the first couple of months. If they burn out or reached everything they wanted to do, they can simply quit and come back on the set date for next world.
caiustardius1

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:35 am

"wipe wen"
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby matheuswm » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:01 pm

my 2 cents as a hermit player who played in a 3-man village last world, got my stats to 500ish in 2 months and collaborated with dewmeadows and norsca (i even dug a troll that some dudes killed) and also pve'd with a bunch of other hermits (ant and bee dungeons) the lategame where factions are so above us that they stop killing us on sight is the best part of haven. I like the singleplayer aspect as well (hence why i started playing last month) because there is no fun to be had competing with people who play this as their main thing in life. I have no time to learn how to bot things right now, nor do i enjoy having no one to play with. It's just that the risk of losing everything outpaces everything else.

I would love to keep PVEing with the boys and not having to fear for my life whenever i want to trade something, because the semicasual community in this game is amazing! But we get really uninvested in the game due to the risk and our demographic being the first to lose interest whenever someone randomly kills you (got randomly killed by a guy on a boat last year and quit playing when the world started myself). This semicasual experience i had was the most fun i had in multiplayer games since WoW days 15 years ago.

A controversial but useful idea i had was to have something like soul level in dark souls, you can only open pvp on people x% below of your stats/LP/whatever. You can set a floor in order to prevent alt spamming as well, adding something like (if you dont have a number of LP/day gained you lose protection as an alt). SInce this protection only works one-side, maybe commiting crimes (or even buying the skills!) could make you lose your protection in order to allow retaliation. THerefore only people with intent to grief or LOTS of time can peddle their business anywhere.
I also think more pvp options like battlegrounds or arenas from wow could work to keep the pvpers busy. I would love to learn PVP if there was a better way to find people to play with without losing all my gear.
Attachments
yeahtheboys2.jpg
fun times 2
yeahtheboys2.jpg (157.46 KiB) Viewed 230 times
yeahtheboys.jpg
fun times
yeahtheboys.jpg (69.44 KiB) Viewed 230 times
matheuswm

Postby Robben_DuMarsch » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:12 am

matheuswm wrote:my 2 cents as a hermit player who played in a 3-man village last world, got my stats to 500ish in 2 months and collaborated with dewmeadows and norsca (i even dug a troll that some dudes killed) and also pve'd with a bunch of other hermits (ant and bee dungeons) the lategame where factions are so above us that they stop killing us on sight is the best part of haven.

This was posted this afternoon. If you have some illusion that the world is safer now, it is only because you haven't encountered faction players because the world is so dead.

This is 3 days ago:

I remember at the end of last world, Ainran posted a newb killing montage that featured them almost exclusively executing sprucecaps with swings of over 1700+ (the part of the world when real faction fights are done, and botted cheese/spiraled iron is the norm).

This, or collecting tokens at the market, is the "endgame" for the big village players who remain.
Robben_DuMarsch

Postby Faravidus » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:54 am

Rumor has it that spilling the blood of Sprucecaps accelerates the end of the world, so Spitsbergen is actually doing God's work here.

Also did you just steal his content just to bump your own thread. Not cool, dude.
Playing since W4 ~ faravid88 on Discord ~ https://steamcommunity.com/id/faravid88
Faravidus

Postby DonVelD » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:00 pm

robben du marsch is lying pvpers are not playing the game
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

PreviousNext

Return to The Inn of Brodgar