How do I install the game?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How do I install the game?

Postby Slaire13 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:47 pm

I am wanting the play the game but everytime I click the big play button at the top it always downloads a file called autohaven and I don't know what to do with it, please help.
Slaire13

Re: How do I install the game?

Postby Dosidicus_gigas » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Run autohaven. That's the game. You may need to update Java first.
Dosidicus_gigas

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:40 am

If you don't have the latest Java installed, you can download it from http://www.java.com.

If you do have Java installed already, you will need to find the program "javaws.exe" to launch the file you downloaded. (Use search to find it or it is located where you installed Java at in the "bin" folder"
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby QuillAndSaber » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:49 am

I'm in a similar situation.

I just updated to the latest version of Java, and I manually set all ".jnlp" files to open with "javaws.exe". However, when I double-click on "autohaven.jnlp", absolutely nothing happens.

I am trying to run this on a computer using Windows 7, if that helps, and I have tried running the program with Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer running (one at a time). Is there something I'm missing?

Edit: I got it to work, but in order to do so I had to completely uninstall Java and then install an old version of Java, at which point clicking "autohaven.jnlp" prompted me to update Java, and it progressed from there.
QuillAndSaber

Postby Malthael6000 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:12 am

Its August 2021, and I am having trouble with this... when i press play it downloads a .jar file that i can open with winrar. there are no .exes inside and none of it runs on javaor javaws or anything. nothing happens and nothing shows. help

I am running free windows 10 and downloaded latest java just then. using chrome as the browser.
Malthael6000

Postby vatas » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:50 am

Winrar has been erroneously associated with .jar -files. Try right clicking and "Open with" and see if Java is an option.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... ociations/
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Purplelight » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:06 am

Slaire13 wrote:I am wanting the play the game but everytime I click the big play button at the top it always downloads a file called autohaven and I don't know what to do with it, please help.

I was very confused about this too. When the .jar file appears in your downloads, if you have WinRAR downloaded on your computer it will try and extract the files. Don't do this. Instead, find the file in your downloads and open with java instead!

HOWEVER! My current version of Java did not want to run the file. It instantly would close the file. I had to download a previous version of java. Finally it works. Hope this helps =)
Purplelight

Postby NeoBasilisk » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:36 am

scowlwhine wrote:
Lia123 wrote:I want to know to know it too, so I even asked...

I'm in a comparable predicament.
If it helps, I'm attempting to run this software on a PC that is running Windows 10, and I've tried running it in Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer (one at a time). Is there anything I'm overlooking?

You don't really "run" it in a browser. When you click the play button, it just downloads the autohaven.jar file, which is the launcher.

You need to install Java before you can run the launcher.
https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

After you have installed Java, you can double-click the autohaven.jar file to launch the game.

If Java is being weird, try uninstalling it and installing it again.
NeoBasilisk

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:55 am

NeoBasilisk wrote:
scowlwhine wrote:
Lia123 wrote:I want to know to know it too, so I even asked...

I'm in a comparable predicament.
If it helps, I'm attempting to run this software on a PC that is running Windows 10, and I've tried running it in Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer (one at a time). Is there anything I'm overlooking?

You don't really "run" it in a browser. When you click the play button, it just downloads the autohaven.jar file, which is the launcher.

You need to install Java before you can run the launcher.
https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

After you have installed Java, you can double-click the autohaven.jar file to launch the game.

If Java is being weird, try uninstalling it and installing it again.

That's a bot.

You're talking to a bot.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Tirehtööri » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:07 pm

an actual real person having issues with the game here. been trying to get it to work but my java seems to freak out no matter what version I'm using (closes the second I open the autohaven file), anyone can try to help?
Tirehtööri

Next

Return to How do I?