How do I hunt whales and mammoths solo?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: How do I hunt whales and mammoths solo?

Postby Southpaw » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:35 pm

pawnchito wrote:Damn this post is awesome. Usually this info is pretty gatekept.

maybe if the average person is better informed and able to participate in content, we'll have less clueless goobers suggesting bad fixes and changes. that's been my philosophy with the past hand full of HDI posts anyway
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby Pommfritz » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:24 am

success :D

edit:
update xd

Pommfritz

Postby Zebukin » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:20 pm

How to ride in door/cave on the horse?
Yo need to stand like this, so character will be at nearest tile to entrance. Then click to door.
33004815.jpg
33004815.jpg (57.67 KiB) Viewed 512 times

Or just along the wall
33015618.jpg
33015618.jpg (95.48 KiB) Viewed 512 times
Zebukin

Postby Pommfritz » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:41 pm

I was reading a mammoth will dismount you from a horse tho :P
Pommfritz

Postby vatas » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:50 am

Mammoths indeed have some sort of anti-horse ability but luring the mammoth next to the trap on horseback was possible. Presumably it has rather short range.

Also reminder that Trolls HATE horses and instantly aggro them, possibly even skipping the normal delay given to players who spawn one.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Karede » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:32 pm

vatas wrote:Mammoths indeed have some sort of anti-horse ability but luring the mammoth next to the trap on horseback was possible. Presumably it has rather short range.

Also reminder that Trolls HATE horses and instantly aggro them, possibly even skipping the normal delay given to players who spawn one.

It does indeed skip the usual delay if you're mining on horseback
Karede

Postby Southpaw » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:54 pm

vatas wrote:Mammoths indeed have some sort of anti-horse ability but luring the mammoth next to the trap on horseback was possible. Presumably it has rather short range.

its a melee move, like one of the bear moves that i've forgotten already. luring to safe-pali can only be done on a horse, realistically, usually with an alt. sleds are too slow for snowmtns even.
Karede wrote:It does indeed skip the usual delay if you're mining on horseback

yep, skips straight through chestbeat and beats the shit out of you-and-then-your-horse iirc. i utterly hate horses so i've never personally had it happen, but iirc dakkan mined with cave hermit+horse and didn't seem to ever complain about anything. trolls still do seem to go for the horse, though.

Pommfritz wrote:success :D

good job, man!
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby Pommfritz » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:46 pm

Thanks :D I just survival capped myself earlier today with 2mil lp in the bank tho xd
Pommfritz

Postby WowGain » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:08 pm

Pommfritz wrote:I was reading a mammoth will dismount you from a horse tho :P

Keep your Red opening below about 60% and youll never get rawhided by a mamm. Its a move they can only use when your Red opening is rather high.
If you ever do get rawhided though and you're fighting it solo, you're 100% fucked. I got rawhided during a Mamm fight last world because I wasn't watching my Red for a second too long and the only reason I wasn't destroyed was because there was 3 of us, so the other two could just draw its aggro for me while I was stuck in place.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Pommfritz » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:10 pm

I was thinking of doing it on skis but I think it's not a good idea xD they just slightly outrun mammoths on speed 4 and I have to drink too much. I have set up a mammoth trap now tho. The first days the mammoths were destroying the pali but I think that had something to do with the claim or the pali being freshly built idk xd Now it works fine tho.
I'll try the horse thing next to a cave some time when I see a mammoth and I'm not close to my trap. Should go a lot faster since I can stack IP and kill it with cleave
Pommfritz

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?