What foods should I be eating and what should i focus on?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: What foods should I be eating and what should i focus on

Postby pbbllt » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:37 pm

Sevenless wrote:The rest of your suggestions are aimed at power players, which means this comment is dead wrong. If you're eating 1 tap or 2 tap meals, drinks keep you 1 or 2 tapping for extra FEPs. Eating with any sort of resource efficiency means stopping when you drop to needing extra pieces of power food instead of 1 or 2 variety to top you off. The right beverage helps with that quite a lot, especially since they scale with quality.

If you're going to go through all the effort of eating at a faction level, ignoring drinks is leaving free FEPs on the ground.

Nah fam, it's normal progress. Unless one doesn't want to go lower than -4 in mine, study low mental weight curios forever and use specifically tailored set for literally every activity to not cap quality and make crafting alts, you are bound to eat good enough foods on low hunger with good table, and you don't even need beverages for that because all that matters is low hunger on foods.

Not gonna compare mbc to eating grubs, but if one starts eating e.g. non-smoked bear bangers in large quantities, it may prove fatal for the player and may paralyze progress for weeks just to recover from low bonus. Of course nothing's stopping player from just making more food to help remedy the lowered hunger bonus problem but what's the point then, especially if the dish is not farmable in large quantities.

As for taps, yeah, I eat in batches because I'm lazy so I use beverages to offset that. Satiations drop down literally overnight so they don't have as much impact as hunger, table and good recipes do, beverages only buy time really, no free feps here if 1-2 tap eating since overflow feps are lost anyway.
pbbllt

Postby Sevenless » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:28 pm

pbbllt wrote:Nah fam, it's normal progress.

Yeah, faction level in this game just means minmaxing properly for the given and usually very obtuse mechanics. What you described is more or less exactly how factions eat. Only minor difference might be ingredient availability. Pigs/Seals/Whales/Trolls are things factions have that non-factions don't (in quantity anyway).
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby billyborn2023 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:40 pm

pbbllt wrote:
Sevenless wrote:The rest of your suggestions are aimed at power players, which means this comment is dead wrong. If you're eating 1 tap or 2 tap meals, drinks keep you 1 or 2 tapping for extra FEPs. Eating with any sort of resource efficiency means stopping when you drop to needing extra pieces of power food instead of 1 or 2 variety to top you off. The right beverage helps with that quite a lot, especially since they scale with quality.

If you're going to go through all the effort of eating at a faction level, ignoring drinks is leaving free FEPs on the ground.

Nah fam, it's normal progress. Unless one doesn't want to go lower than -4 in mine, study low mental weight curios forever and use specifically tailored set for literally every activity to not cap quality and make crafting alts, you are bound to eat good enough foods on low hunger with good table, and you don't even need beverages for that because all that matters is low hunger on foods.

Not gonna compare mbc to eating grubs, but if one starts eating e.g. non-smoked bear bangers in large quantities, it may prove fatal for the player and may paralyze progress for weeks just to recover from low bonus. Of course nothing's stopping player from just making more food to help remedy the lowered hunger bonus problem but what's the point then, especially if the dish is not farmable in large quantities.

As for taps, yeah, I eat in batches because I'm lazy so I use beverages to offset that. Satiations drop down literally overnight so they don't have as much impact as hunger, table and good recipes do, beverages only buy time really, no free feps here if 1-2 tap eating since overflow feps are lost anyway.
Thanks for your suggestions about food eating, Also I am walking daily early in the morning as well.
billyborn2023

Postby bumfrog » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:12 pm

same tbh
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby gigachad170cm » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:20 pm

pbbllt wrote:If the food can't fill your fepbar at least halfway - it's garbage.
If the food does not give you +2 stat - it's most likely garbage.
If the food does not have at least 50% in the stat you intend to raise by eating it - it's most probably garbage.
If the food has more than 4% hunger and you don't have a way to counter it - it's garbage.

Beverages do not give any bonus apart from decreased satiety on foods while eating - mostly garbage if you don't eat much; and you won't eat much unless you eat garbage that is classified by above rules.

Most important things are:
- good quality symbels and chair,
- not garbage food,
- not overeating (satiety).

99% of foods in haven are distractions for full larpers and sprucecaps, https://irongete.com/haven-food/ is the only way if you want a decent character in a reasonable time (I mean 300 stats in everything apart from str).

Fish is the only exception tho, they have really good +1 feps for int and str which is extremely helpful early-to-mid game. Even later on, pan-seared zander is a way to go as well.

what do you consider "not garbage food"? I'm not new to HnH but stat development was always a struggle for me; while my neighbours had, let's say, 100 stats I had only 50
what should I eat? in this world I managed to get to 80 str/int within first 3 weeks of this world purely on fish, roasted fish, roasted meat and maybe something else. I know I'm eating shit but I simply don't know what I should
I'm always trying to keep good quality symbels, table & chair, keep my hunger and satiety low (hunger 200-250%, satiety below 25%) so I think it always ends up on bad food I place into my mouth huh
I know pies are somewhat good, sausages (you can smoke 'em, right?) is somewhat good too, cheese is amazing yet I couldn't make a single one within 3 worlds I'm playin' HnH
the problem with cook book you gave is that I simply don't know what to look after, I mean yeah I scrolled through it for 30 min but end up finding nothing, maybe it's just me being dumb but still
gigachad170cm

Previous

Return to How do I?