Changing the terrain

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Changing the terrain

Postby Greybeard187 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:05 pm

I was wondering, if I do something like plant a mass amount of grass in a random place, if it will qualify as and eventually spawn grassland foragables naturally? Sort of new to H&H, and since they mentioned the goal is to allow players to make permanent impacts on the world, that perhaps this is possible.
Greybeard187

Re: Changing the terrain

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:06 pm

Yes, if you plant grass, it will count as a grassland biome.
It also does not matter if the terrain is claimed, it will still spawn forageables.

Keep in mind that in order to spawn forageables, you need to load the tiles in after they have been unloaded. It takes around 17 minutes for tiles to be unloaded after a player has seen them and nobody else kept them loaded.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Greybeard187 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:54 pm

Thank you. does this work with other things? if i plant enough trees do i get forest terrain, etc
Greybeard187

Postby vatas » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:44 pm

Greybeard187 wrote:Thank you. does this work with other things? if i plant enough trees do i get forest terrain, etc

Planting trees in an existing forest terrain = that specific forest terrain spreads. No forest terrain? Forest terrain called "wald" spreads.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SiO2 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:25 pm

How about natural spreading from initial tree? Does it replace grass biomes? How far can it spread? it takes insane amount of trees to spawn a proper wald patch, I wander if there are ways to optimize things.
Bronies for life /)
SiO2

Postby vatas » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:52 am

SiO2 wrote:How about natural spreading from initial tree? Does it replace grass biomes? How far can it spread? it takes insane amount of trees to spawn a proper wald patch, I wander if there are ways to optimize things.

Trees planted on grassland tile possibly do not spread Wald.

w11 I remember planting Mulberry Trees on freshly terraformed Dirt and got one or two Wald conversions almost immediately, or within the hour or two that it took for another batch of saplings to sprout on Herbalist's Table.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SiO2 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:15 pm

vatas wrote:Trees planted on grassland tile possibly do not spread Wald.

On red plains they do in this world. However I am not sure if natural (no forced by growing tree) spread of wald can overcome red plains.
Bronies for life /)
SiO2

Return to How do I?