Star quality

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Star quality

Postby Antvgr » Sun May 05, 2024 12:20 pm

Good day! I am a bit perplexed cause I don't understand mechanic of star quality.

To what does it apply and to what it doesn't? At first i thought that if anything of ingredients (that are applied to item quality) are starred or if the tool is starred the final item will get the star. Exception is building tools, like kiln or smithy.

But a bit earlier I made a wax candle from regular wax, regular string, in regular cauldron filled with regular water. And it turned out starred. The only possible explanations I see are either the fuel was starred(but fuel in cauldron has no quality and applies to no recipe) or there is something I don't understand.

Can anyone clarify?

Edit. After further testing with regular wood for fuel, first option is discarded. Which makes me out of ideas.
Antvgr

Re: Star quality

Postby GaussFM » Mon May 06, 2024 7:59 am

Most likely, your cauldron has been desecrated by a starshard. This is not displayed during quality check (object inspection (I used Ender. Perhaps it is different in other clients)).

You can do an experiment: craft a cauldron with and without a metal bar marked with a starshard. Then check its quality and cook something there. You won't see the starshard mark on the cauldron, but you will see it on the crafted item.

Maybe I don’t know something, in any case, the "old" guys will correct.
GaussFM

Postby Antvgr » Mon May 06, 2024 10:48 am

GaussFM wrote:Most likely, your cauldron has been desecrated by a starshard. This is not displayed during quality check (object inspection (I used Ender. Perhaps it is different in other clients)).

You can do an experiment: craft a cauldron with and without a metal bar marked with a starshard. Then check its quality and cook something there. You won't see the starshard mark on the cauldron, but you will see it on the crafted item.

You are quite correct. After testing it seems like the problem was with cauldron. Is there a way to detect desecrated workbenches? And do all workbenches suffer from this?
Antvgr

Postby Dawidio123 » Mon May 06, 2024 2:19 pm

Antvgr wrote:
GaussFM wrote:Most likely, your cauldron has been desecrated by a starshard. This is not displayed during quality check (object inspection (I used Ender. Perhaps it is different in other clients)).

You are quite correct. After testing it seems like the problem was with cauldron. Is there a way to detect desecrated workbenches? And do all workbenches suffer from this?

Afaik you just need to test. I think anvils can be made with starred bars (maybe just up to 2 of them i'm really not sure) without actually getting a star.
Ingame: Shaki
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
Dawidio123

Postby JohnBender » Mon May 06, 2024 5:52 pm

So having anything with star quality is bad? Do not know much about this, can someone please explain.
JohnBender

Postby Antvgr » Tue May 07, 2024 10:14 am

JohnBender wrote:So having anything with star quality is bad? Do not know much about this, can someone please explain.

Something with a star can't ever be improved with another star. And anything down the production tree will also inherit the star. That's why having non desecrated base productions are better.
Antvgr

Postby JohnBender » Tue May 07, 2024 1:54 pm

I see, so if your anvil is not "pure" you cannot improve anything made with it. Understood, thx.
JohnBender

Postby Chuckims » Thu May 09, 2024 9:33 am

Antvgr wrote:
JohnBender wrote:So having anything with star quality is bad? Do not know much about this, can someone please explain.

Something with a star can't ever be improved with another star. And anything down the production tree will also inherit the star. That's why having non desecrated base productions are better.

Very interesting answer, thank you very much
Chuckims

Return to How do I?