Grand List of Simple Questions

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Grand List of Simple Questions

Postby Turtlesir » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:23 am

PhrozenFox wrote:I've noticed you can aim and shoot literally anywhere...

Does this mean...this game has...physics? Does it hit whatever the arrow intercepts?

I have been zooming in as close as possible and clicking DEAD CENTRE as much as possible, and I miss often, but I have heard this "shadow under the animal" thing a few times.

So I could never even know if I have the proper stats or quality of bow to attempt something, I am simply clicking the wrong point of ground? I really wish this could be confirmed because this is not how an "RPG" works.

it's not really physics, it just shoots where you click instead of auto-focusing on the target. i guess this works because of hitboxes. you can see them on amber with shift + B for ease of hunting (don't know about other clients).
Turtlesir

Postby PhrozenFox » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:54 am

Turtlesir wrote:

Does this mean...this game has...physics? Does it hit whatever the arrow intercepts?

I have been zooming in as close as possible and clicking DEAD CENTRE as much as possible, and I miss often, but I have heard this "shadow under the animal" thing a few times.

So I could never even know if I have the proper stats or quality of bow to attempt something, I am simply clicking the wrong point of ground? I really wish this could be confirmed because this is not how an "RPG" works.

it's not really physics, it just shoots where you click instead of auto-focusing on the target. i guess this works because of hitboxes. you can see them on amber with shift + B for ease of hunting (don't know about other clients).

This doesn't explain the frequency that I miss. Bow accuracy and damage is based on Per and quality of materials is it not? I am definitely clicking the right thing, and I managed to shoot a boar while it was running.
I wish to join a SMALL community or a newish player.

My fave tasks are Hunting, Fishing, Mining, Building, Crafting

I like free stuff so please keep it in the claim or I might claim it myself. Fair warning anybody could do it :P
PhrozenFox

Postby DaniAngione » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:58 am

PhrozenFox wrote:
Turtlesir wrote:

This doesn't explain the frequency that I miss. Bow accuracy and damage is based on Per and quality of materials is it not? I am definitely clicking the right thing, and I managed to shoot a boar while it was running.

One thing I can confirm is that even if you shoot a sling or bow from a very much higher position, it will fall straight down to the maximum range of the weapon as it would do on same level shooting.

So yeah, you could kind of confirm that there is some sort of trajectory/ray-tracing that defines where a projectile will hit - and it can collide with objects on the middle of the way, etc... But it ends there, there are no more complex things in action like gravity. For instance, if a projectile were to hit the ground becase of gravity and not a static value of "range", shooting from a higher position would give me a higher range - which doesn't happen, like I said above.
W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Postby Turtlesir » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:07 am

you just need to learn how the mechanic works. like i said, you don't auto-focus the boar so you don't need to click its center, you need to aim at its feet where the hitbox is. the arrows can get stuck as Dani said. as for cliffs i'm not sure, i can just tell when i'm standing wrong, diagonals work better i think and i only stand a few tiles from it, with nothing inbetween.

perhaps you should try using a sling, they're more accurate and physics based so they work completely different.
Turtlesir

Postby PhrozenFox » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:18 am

Turtlesir wrote:you just need to learn how the mechanic works. like i said, you don't auto-focus the boar so you don't need to click its center, you need to aim at its feet where the hitbox is. the arrows can get stuck as Dani said. as for cliffs i'm not sure, i can just tell when i'm standing wrong, diagonals work better i think and i only stand a few tiles from it, with nothing inbetween.

perhaps you should try using a sling, they're more accurate and physics based so they work completely different.

I don't want to learn how to use a sling, I want to use a bow.

Cliffs I don't understand because an enemy on the bottom of a cliff can hit me on the edge of the top of the cliff, I just assume there is 0 distance between us.

Are you saying the hitbox for everything is the square underneath the animal? I do not use a custom client, but if this is the case, this is the reason I am missing every shot.

I was avoiding clicking too low because I thought if I didn't click the animal itself, it would shoot the grass underneath.

This explains how I am able to shoot a boar every time (don't even have that period where the meter goes away for me to re-aim), because their hitbox is so much bigger.

Edit: Do I aim for the shadow underneath the bat? SHADOW OF THE BAT you know, like Batrider from dota 2?

I just tested this by shooting the very top part of a fox (behind it would be a few tiles away) and I killed it. Shooting at its feet missed.

I am getting mixed messages. Can somebody take a screenshot of the Amber Client with the hitbox of a fox please? I am sick of testing and getting concussed.

I like free stuff so please keep it in the claim or I might claim it myself. Fair warning anybody could do it :P
PhrozenFox

Postby Turtlesir » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:39 am

Turtlesir

Postby PhrozenFox » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:51 am

Turtlesir wrote:Image

Thank you so much! This clears up a hell of a lot.

I still managed to shoot a fox by not clicking its hitbox though.

This also explains why it's "impossible" to shoot rabbits. Look at that box!

Now as for the hitbox of a bat. Is it closer to its body, or on the shadow underneath it? (SHADOW OF THE BAT http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dota2.g ... ove_04.mp3 )

Please note, I don't intend to hit any bats that move. If I miss, I am running the hell as fast as my legs can carry me.

PhrozenFox

Postby VDZ » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:20 pm

Does Shield quality matter in any way?
VDZ

Postby Orcling » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:21 pm

VDZ wrote:Does Shield quality matter in any way?

no
Orcling

Postby The_Lich_King » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:16 am

what animals can give chop from fighting and what animals can give cleave? in w8 ants gave chop but i have been endlessly grinding and can't find chop yet? and i could never figure out what gave cleave in w8.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?