Why is steel/animal husbandry/cheese the way it is?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Why is steel/animal husbandry/cheese the way it is?

Postby Einlanser » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:31 pm

wonder-ass wrote:ive complained about these mechanics for years, its one of their artistic vision on the game so they refuse to change it.

Their artistic vision is dependent on disrespecting the player's time? Surely not. That would cause everyone with any self respect to stop paying for it immediately.
Einlanser

Postby Audiosmurf » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:14 pm

How hard is it to have a singular friend to cover for you? The hermit experience kind of sucks, I'm 99% that's by design, and I think it's part of the identity of the game. It's to encourage you to band together with people and share the load. Hermiting is a choice.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Sevenless » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:51 pm

Audiosmurf wrote:How hard is it to have a singular friend to cover for you? The hermit experience kind of sucks, I'm 99% that's by design, and I think it's part of the identity of the game. It's to encourage you to band together with people and share the load. Hermiting is a choice.

I think any mechanic that requires/encourages people to have friends from different timezones is pushing it. Needing friends is fine, but needing specific friends... not so fine. I'm also ok with mechanics that need to be tended daily, but I'm not fine with needing to orient my schedule around a task in game. Daily sure, but I should get to pick when in the day I do it.

And I say this as someone who does warp his schedule to games, and has been doing it for a decade. Just because we're used to it doesn't mean it's a healthy thing.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby WowGain » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:02 pm

Guys stop being so mean to Audiosmurf when you know he doesn't understand stuff like "having a life" >:(
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Clemins » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:16 pm

Game good
Clemins

Postby Audiosmurf » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:38 pm

WowGain wrote:Guys stop being so mean to Audiosmurf when you know he doesn't understand stuff like "having a life" >:(

I know reading comprehension mustn't be your strong suit, but I'm very clearly pro having-a-life. Having friends to play the game with allows for things like this.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Einlanser » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:28 am

Purely for my own edification here, is it the consensus that botting these oddly fiddly mechanics is in line with the artistic vision of the game, but a slightly larger coal hopper would be ridiculous?

Edit: I ask because botting *feels* like cheating, even though I know most folks do it. Know what wouldn't feel like cheating and is something people can actually do in real life when solving problems? Bigger coal hopper.
Einlanser

Postby MtPillow » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:30 am

Einlanser wrote:Purely for my own edification here, is it the consensus that botting these oddly fiddly mechanics is in line with the artistic vision of the game, but a slightly larger coal hopper would be ridiculous?

Edit: I ask because botting *feels* like cheating, even though I know most folks do it. Know what wouldn't feel like cheating and is something people can actually do in real life when solving problems? Bigger coal hopper.

Most folks don't actually bot. It's just that most long time players here have accepted the reality that
1) bots do exist
2) you won't get in trouble for using them
3) there are some features of HnH that incentivize botting

Heck, almost all the clients have some sort of scripting functionality built in...

Also, HnH is an unique game with very contradictory pulls. Unfortunately its charm also lies in it being such.
MtPillow

Postby Karede » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:40 am

Timers shouldn't end in failure: steel progress resetting, silkworms dying, sapling dying on the table, generic gouda if you forget your cheese, and taking any break from the game resulting in permanent starvations damage/death of animals are all bad things
Karede

Postby Zampfeo » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:11 pm

Haven's mechanics weren't made with gameplay in mind. Any semblance of good gameplay is either a happy accident or the result of one of Snail's forum rants.
Zampfeo

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?