Ring of Brodgar Wiki

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Ring of Brodgar Wiki

Postby The_Lich_King » Tue May 25, 2021 10:50 pm

VDZ wrote:
mvgulik wrote:One option I have not explored/added to that is to mark newly growing trees.
- 9 / Spotted spawning.

Tree 'spawning' is unrelated to terrain and simply depends on nearby trees. The region where I live is devoid of Apple Trees, but I planted a bunch myself, and a new Apple Tree grew naturally near my planted Apple Trees.

I believe they are only generated on certain terrain when the world is first generated, thus them having the appearance of biome specificity
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby mvgulik » Wed May 26, 2021 11:42 am

VDZ wrote:
mvgulik wrote:One option I have not explored/added to that is to mark newly growing trees.
- 9 / Spotted spawning.

Tree 'spawning' is unrelated to terrain and simply depends on nearby trees. The region where I live is devoid of Apple Trees, but I planted a bunch myself, and a new Apple Tree grew naturally near my planted Apple Trees.

That is interesting, and the nearby trees part makes sense.
Not to sure about the terrain-type not having any part in this at all. (if it has, it might even be limited to a simple Forest vs Grass terrain effect)
Some trees might not have some natural terrain-type limitations or specificity's, an apple tree being one I would suspect to be such a tree. (apart from the potential 'world generation' angle.)

On the other hand. After the world generation distribution of trees, trees could in effect not have any strong terrain specificity (apart from there forest vs grass related growing speed), as that would make sense from a 'keeping it simple' internal-game point of view.
mvgulik

Postby VDZ » Wed May 26, 2021 4:59 pm

mvgulik wrote:On the other hand. After the world generation distribution of trees, trees could in effect not have any strong terrain specificity (apart from there forest vs grass related growing speed), as that would make sense from a 'keeping it simple' internal-game point of view.

There is at least some hard terrain specificity in that you e.g. cannot plant cave trees/bushes outside, and you can't plant trees on rock and the like. But I imagine the natural tree growth follows the same rules as artifical tree growth, being possible on all the same terrains you could manually plant trees on.
VDZ

Postby mvgulik » Wed May 26, 2021 7:14 pm

Yea, I keep forgetting there are more general-types then forest and grass. Not sure about a good classification for them yet. (Beaches kinda trowing sand in a hard-ground classification ;) )

VDZ wrote:I imagine the natural tree growth follows the same rules as artifical tree growth

Makes sense. If that was not the case I think it probably would have been spotted already.
mvgulik

Postby Zampfeo » Wed May 26, 2021 7:49 pm

The impression I got with trees was that they were separated into generic types (pine, spruce, maple, etc.) and rare types (olive, lemon, mulberry). The generic trees seem to always exist in equal distribution on their specific biomes and the rare trees have their own, wholly separate from biomes, spawning rules.
Zampfeo

Postby mvgulik » Thu May 27, 2021 7:01 am

Zampfeo wrote:...

Kinda matches my general view. But I never followed up on it due to lack of personal sufficient-data/playing-time.

Trying to find some general setup ideas ...
- Terrain (Biome): Forest(wald), Grassland, Water/Marine, Barren, ... (Other).
- Tree (Density/Distribution/Availability): (Dense, Sparse, Random, (None), ...)(High, Medium, Low, Random, (none), ...). - (linked tree-vs-terrain related)
- Tree: (???): (General, Special, ... (Other). (bushes ... ) - (Is kinda linked/related to Density.)

Not getting anywhere fast at the moment. Feel free to add other idea's.

--- --- ---

Potential RoB implementations:
Tree page:
-- Availability(in general): Dense/High, Sparse/Medium, Random/Low. (Random/Low availability would be for special trees/bushes) (terrain linkup would be at terrain page).
-- Terrain_Dense/High/Native = terrains, ...
-- Terrain_Sparse/Low/Random = terrains, ...
Terrain page:
-- Tree = trees, ... (would linkup with Availability at tree pages).
-- Tree_Dense/High/Native = trees, ...
-- Tree_Sparse/Low/Random = trees, ...
The linkup case is troublesome as its spread across tree & terrain pages. (+not to sure if it would cover actual tree data)

Current available data on RoB:
-- Very general tree vs terrain link (set/stored at tree pages).
mvgulik

Postby mvgulik » Mon May 31, 2021 12:41 pm

Canned, due to lack of interest.
Last edited by mvgulik on Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mvgulik

Postby vatas » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:15 am

What's going on?
Attachments
firefox_rKfO8iNrAF.png
firefox_rKfO8iNrAF.png (7.65 KiB) Viewed 468 times
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby mvgulik » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:48 am

vatas wrote:What's going on?

I don't know, yet.
It could be that RoB is being updated, as its showing a "Apache2 Debian Default Page" at its root url.
Messages send to Spiff.

Note: Google has a lot of cached RoB pages available (there a bit mangled and have no images, but ... if in need).
mvgulik

Postby mvgulik » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:57 pm

RoB wiki is back up.

Somehow the http server was reinstalled/updated. But without Spiff knowing about the change.
mvgulik

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?