[Outdated] Sevenless' beginner guide to Haven and Hearth

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Sevenless' beginner guide to Haven and Hearth

Postby LordRato » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:55 pm

For some reason i cant make the Bonesaw. I have bones from chickens i killed, and branches that i took of trees. Any tips? I also have Foraging/Carpentry.
Last edited by LordRato on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordRato

Postby synaris » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:05 pm

can you make a section of the guide covering all the different terrains their names and what they have to offer?

i miss world 7s simplicity. i cant even find out the NAMES for the majority of the terrains.
Newbie and noob do not mean the same thing.

Neither do figuratively and literally.
synaris

Postby xTrainx » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:21 pm

LordRato wrote:For some reason i cant make the Bonesaw. I have bones from chickens i killed, and branches that i took of trees. Any tips? I also have Foraging/Carpentry.

bone saws now use boughs
xTrainx

Postby LordRato » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:40 pm

xTrainx wrote:
LordRato wrote:For some reason i cant make the Bonesaw. I have bones from chickens i killed, and branches that i took of trees. Any tips? I also have Foraging/Carpentry.

bone saws now use boughs

Oh, i see, thanks!
LordRato

Postby Angolis » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:06 am

This is amazing and has helped me so much. I am a bit confused with the whole food/points/blah dealio, could someone help me with the dummy's version or summat? :? I hope to see more additions! :D
Angolis

Postby basuranephilim » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:23 pm

Angolis wrote:This is amazing and has helped me so much. I am a bit confused with the whole food/points/blah dealio, could someone help me with the dummy's version or summat? :? I hope to see more additions! :D

Basically, food has 3 properties:
FEP (Food event points)
Hunger
Energy

Let's start with energy: You need this to do your daily activities.
If you are wounded, you need 8K energy to heal, and it will drain your energy bar.
If you lose stamina through work or running, it will slowly drain your energy bar to replenish stamina.
If you drink water to replenish stamina your energy will go down quickly.
Basically, food with high energy is good!

Then there is FEP:
You level up by eating food. Every food gives a certain stat, like Intelligence, strength, etc.
Higher quality and different kinds of foods give more and different points! You should forage, and create foods to see what they give.
If you eat enough and gain enough FEP's you level a stat. What stat levels depends on the foods you eat.
For instance, if you need 100 FEP's to raise a stat, and you eat 80 points of strength, and 20 points of agility. You have a 80% chance that strength will level and 20% that agility will level.
Easy enough right? You can follow a specific diet to raise a stat that you want, but if you don't eat 1 stat raise exclusively there is ALWAYS the chance that the other stat might level.
FEP needed to level up a stat depends on your HIGHEST stat. So if you want to level your other stats cheap, don't raise 1 stat massively above the others!

Now comes the tricky part: hunger
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Hunger
Basically: High hunger on food is bad.
You have a hunger bar, which drains over time. The more full your character is, the quicker it drains.
But if your character is full, food isn't as effective in FEP (and energy?). Which means that basically you shouldn't overeat your character if you don't want to waste your food efficiency.
The part what makes this tricky is: If you use a lot of energy, you have to replenish it. But your character will get full if you eat a lot, so your FEP gain will lower.
Hunger gain gets lowered by eating, when you're sitting on chair by a table, with dinner ware on the table. The better the quality of these items, the lower the hunger gain will be. (but better FEP and energy!).

So! in short:
Keep your food hunger gain low. (for making food more effective)
Eat energy high food if you want to do a lot of labour (rat on a stick is very energy high for early game food)
FEP points allow you to level your stats.

If anything is unclear just ask. But this is as well as I understand it, not sure if I explained it well enough, but it's something!
Whitehill village recruiter
"Let me be cruel, not unnatural,
I will speak daggers to thee,
But use none."
basuranephilim

Postby Angolis » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:00 pm

basuranephilim wrote:
Angolis wrote:This is amazing and has helped me so much. I am a bit confused with the whole food/points/blah dealio, could someone help me with the dummy's version or summat? :? I hope to see more additions! :D

Basically, food has 3 properties:
FEP (Food event points)
Hunger
Energy

Let's start with energy: You need this to do your daily activities.
If you are wounded, you need 8K energy to heal, and it will drain your energy bar.
If you lose stamina through work or running, it will slowly drain your energy bar to replenish stamina.
If you drink water to replenish stamina your energy will go down quickly.
Basically, food with high energy is good!

If anything is unclear just ask. But this is as well as I understand it, not sure if I explained it well enough, but it's something!

Thank you so much! This was very helpful!! :D
Angolis

Postby Sevenless » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:36 pm

Nice write up on the FEP system :) I guess when I go for the next revision round I should re-write that section if it's not clear enough. Hunting needs a re-write too apparently.

Energy is always fully effective, it ignores the hunger mechanic.

Terrain: That's a devil to cover. It's constantly evolving and anything I write will be quickly outdated. Some custom clients let you see the biome name with a hotkey and hovering over a tile. I'm probably always going to have to leave that to the wiki, hopefully someone takes the time to write that all up at least.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby The_Common_Cold » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:24 am

Hey Sevenless, great guide. This is helpful even for experienced players :) . One thing I found about the hunting while killing boars: You can use the ridge method as described, if you add one additional step. Animals can now find their way around cliff systems, so once they round the bend on your cliff, you have to jump down to below the cliff. Once the animal's on top, it can't find its way back down and you can shoot it until it runs. Not sure if this works for every animal or cliff, but so far it's done the job. I will update with more info as I kill more animals this way.

EDIT: Seems to work for every animal so long as you don't move while shooting at them. If you move, they come back around.
Last edited by The_Common_Cold on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Common_Cold

Postby dinmaker » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:47 am

https://gyazo.com/00c556f653639b49d0f1efbd43fe057b

So, Mammoths are a thing, not sure if they are aggressive or not, one of my friends aggro'd it from across a river, it decided to lob boulders across the river to murder him with... and it did actually kill him, it continued to throw another four or five rocks after knocking him unconscious eventually killing him proper. He's now resting in peace in our claim but yeah... Mammoths are scary yo, they throw rocks and go for the kill, avoid.

Edit: apparently it was throwing rocks from about half a mini-map away, so yeah, stay away from the things unless there's loads of you and you have armor out the wazoo
dinmaker

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?