Melee Combat and Unarmed Combat

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Melee Combat and Unarmed Combat

Postby Jellabean2 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:17 am

So i don't get it is melee to block melee hits and also do more melee damage and same as ua does it just help block ua/melee or also increase melee/ua damage?

Like the stats ua and melee
Last edited by Jellabean2 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
~If you punch yourself and it hurts, are you weak or are you strong?~
Jellabean2

Re: Melee Combat and Unarmed Combat

Postby Silushun » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:22 am

I believe Unarmed is for your little Axe/fists whilst Melee is for when you can craft a Sword out of Metals and hatchets.

So Unarmed = Tanking/Damage of the Fists

Melee combat = Damage of a Sword/Axe thingy
Silushun

Postby Jellabean2 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:23 am

Silushun wrote:I believe Unarmed is for your little Axe/fists whilst Melee is for when you can craft a Sword out of Metals and hatchets.

ty so much it really complicated me.
~If you punch yourself and it hurts, are you weak or are you strong?~
Jellabean2

Postby VDZ » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:36 am

Silushun's explanation is incorrect.

In your combat moves list, each move has an icon listed for 'weight'. This is either a fist (UA) or a sword (melee). This means that the weight of the attack depends on your UA skill or your Melee skill.

For blocks, the weight determines how effective the block is. I don't know if there's any melee blocks (haven't found any), but most (all?) of the blocks get more powerful as you get more UA.

For attacks, the weight determines how effective it is at breaking blocks (regardless of what type the block you're breaking is). This means that if you, for example, use a Chop, the reduction of your enemy's block is determined by your Melee skill. As your UA is likely higher, it's often more effective to Punch to break the enemy's guard, then Chop to deal damage. UA/Melee skill and weight does not directly affect damage; this is dependent on your Strength and the attack's value (in the case of Chop, said value depends on your weapon). However, part of the damage may be blocked by the enemy's guard; if an attack's weight exceeds the enemy's guard, the guard prevents part of the damage and only the remainder of that is dealt normally. That means that if your Chop is partially blocked, how much damage you deal in practice is still affected by your Melee skill.
VDZ

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:31 am

Stone axe is considered a weapon and as such uses Melee. It's only used if you use melee abilities, otherwise it's ignored while using UA if you have one in your hands.

Haven is a little odd like that.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby VDZ » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:41 am

Sevenless wrote:Stone axe is considered a weapon and as such uses Melee. It's only used if you use melee abilities, otherwise it's ignored while using UA if you have one in your hands.

I think it makes sense that your axe is irrelevant when you Punch your enemy.
VDZ

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:42 am

VDZ wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Stone axe is considered a weapon and as such uses Melee. It's only used if you use melee abilities, otherwise it's ignored while using UA if you have one in your hands.

I think it makes sense that your axe is irrelevant when you Punch your enemy.

Yes, but that's not video game logic. And it's also kinda clunky to use unarmed punches when holding a couple pounds of steel. But I digress: Balanced/fun gameplay > "realism"
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Return to How do I?