Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread - Now up to 113 Tips!

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread - Now up to 113 Tips!

Postby The_Lich_King » Sat May 15, 2021 2:48 am

If you start the world late and need high quality stone for a stone axe, don't look for it by traditional means, instead go fishing. Ever since the global trash pool included decayed items left on the surface as well, like 90% of things i fish up are stone that people just left on the ground in mines. You should be able to boost your quality at the start quite significantly by fishing.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby vatas » Mon May 17, 2021 7:30 pm

1. Have empty through
2. Put 1 fodder into it
3. Grab the fodder into bucket

You now have bucket that you can hold in your hand and dump all the unwanted herbs into to create fodder while foraging.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Re: Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread - Now up to 29 Tips!

Postby Zebukin » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:30 pm

jordancoles wrote:You can spin around in your chair with the rowdy emote

not anymore. Fixed probably
Zebukin

Postby BuildusMaximus » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:09 am

When mining, safe squares are more important than danger squares. You're making a mistake if you mark a dust spot and say "don't mine anything near this." You've undone all the SAFE information you've gathered. Come up with a system of either tiling safe squares and stockpiling dangerous squares or vice versa and think in terms of immunity instead of danger.
tag: mining safety
BuildusMaximus

Postby vatas » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:44 am

Your presentation has lot of room to improve but I think your point is correct.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby mvgulik » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:47 am

Not mentioning anything about the meaning of the amount of fallen dust makes it a true inadequate presentation.
(It kinda suggest the writer is not aware of the meaning of the fallen dust amount.)

mvgulik

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:04 pm

BuildusMaximus wrote:When mining, safe squares are more important than danger squares. You're making a mistake if you mark a dust spot and say "don't mine anything near this." You've undone all the SAFE information you've gathered. Come up with a system of either tiling safe squares and stockpiling dangerous squares or vice versa and think in terms of immunity instead of danger.

Develop a code of tiling using nearby rocks. Fun fact: stockpiles decay and can easily be messed with by passersby. Even another miner in your village can come along and screw up the stockpile without thinking about it. On the other hand, tiling in caves is effectively permanent. Either way, people can get it wrong when marking a space, and it should never be assumed any method is 100% correct. As long as everyone in a village is on the same page for methods is what's important. (it's not like we're arguing tabs or spaces here....)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Archiplex » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:39 am

BuildusMaximus wrote:When mining, safe squares are more important than danger squares. You're making a mistake if you mark a dust spot and say "don't mine anything near this." You've undone all the SAFE information you've gathered. Come up with a system of either tiling safe squares and stockpiling dangerous squares or vice versa and think in terms of immunity instead of danger.
tag: mining safety

This is how minesweeper works btw, or at least, how you should be playing minesweeper. Dust serves as a way of locating collapse tiles, no dust means you can mine a 3x3 centered on the tile.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby BuildusMaximus » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:42 am

mvgulik wrote:Not mentioning anything about the meaning of the amount of fallen dust makes it a true inadequate presentation.
(It kinda suggest the writer is not aware of the meaning of the fallen dust amount.)

You're right, a more complete version would also layer in the dust count mechanic. I was just focused on that everyone I see marks bad squares and then don't do any adjacent to that, which undoes the good square info they have.
BuildusMaximus

Postby mvgulik » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:39 am

BuildusMaximus wrote:I was just focused on that everyone I see marks bad squares and then don't do any adjacent to that, which undoes the good square info they have.

Technically, bad/cave-in-trigger squares are generally never marked, as they are generally not mined-out without some mine-supports in place.

Although marking only the non-dust tiles (vs marking the dust) is more economical from a markings-count point of view. In areas with a general higher density of trigger-squares, its not economical from a 'find a save path trough them' point of view.

One could of course consider non-marked tiles as dust-1 tiles, to save on potential marking spots. (ie: 'save/dust-0', 'dust-2, 'dust-3', ... 'dust>N' marking scheme)
mvgulik

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?