Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread - Now up to 113 Tips!

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread - Now up to 113 Tips!

Postby holdenralp » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:20 pm

If you are attacked and you think you will lose consciousness while in a boat try to do it in shallow water. Drowning is no fun. Lesson learned, thank you my assailants.
holdenralp

Re: Little-Known Pro-Tips Thread - Now up to 113 Tips!

Postby vatas » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:38 pm

Short guide to the in-game map window secrets:

Default keybinds: CTRL+A to open Map window, ??? to toggle between compact and extended mode.
Personal rebind (I kind of recommend): ALT+A to open Map window, CTRL+ALT+A to toggle between compact and extended mode. Problem with it being on CTRL is that if you have the habit of opening/closing the map open and travel on boat or horse, you WILL have unintended dismounts due to missclicks.

(Current keybind is always shown on window button tooltip.)

As an example, I show you how to get your map to only show Thingwall markers.something I've previously asked. Turns out this has (presumably) been possible ever since the current Map window was added to the default client. Hidden/poorly documented feature: you can have a third option to having every marker or zero markers shown.

1) Open Map window
2) Toggle extended mode
3) Select "Natural" from the left drop-down menu.
4) Use "Hide Markers" (default keybind. Ctrl+M, not much need to change this I presume.)
5) Click the first Thingwall ICON you see on your list (the icon is separate clickable thing from the rest of the tab/nameplate.)
6) Toggle back to the compact mode.
7) CTRL+M will now toggle between "all" "nothing" custom" for what markers are shown.

Following this guide, the "custom" will only have Thingwalls on it. (Useful, for example, to quickly share a basic map with a single screenshot.) And you can add/edit what custom will show when its actively selected, using extended mode. Unfortunately, this is not saved between sessions so you need to set this up every time you relog.

Tags: client, technical, cartography
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Previous

Return to How do I?