zebratul's Fighting/Taming Guide for new players (18.02.19)

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: zebratul's Fighting/Taming Guide for new players (18.02.

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:38 am

One of the other major changes has been to skill values. If A vs B is less than a 2x difference, they're effectively the same value. To make up for a bit of this, once the value does exceed that balancing range, the difference scales up faster than older worlds.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby vatas » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:43 am

My group was able to tame animals quite early in w12 (we had to forage clovers for fodder since we didn't have abundant crops yet) by using quantity over quality approach. We gathered up everybody who was online, had the guy with highest UA (and maybe with some armor too) start the fight, then everybody else would aggro the animal too and start spamming "swords" to chat so nobody forgot to toggle yield. Everybody not being attacked by the animal would simply spam "Punch" while the one being attacked would just spam Restorations to not get KO'd. If Aurochsen/Mufflon/Wildhorse have armor, it was mostly a non-issue. We only started taming boars once we got higher stats and swords, since they have some genuine armor.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Mortis123 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:31 pm

So the horses don't have any armor ? How many fresh characters +/- you need to succefully do a taming process on a horse ?
Mortis123

Postby vatas » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:48 pm

Try four or more people with 10-20 UA each and as much stray AGI points as possible.

Unequip all nettle gear (they give AGI penalty) and equip at least sprucecap/clogs with "bark reinforcement" gild. (world reset/just starting tip mostly)

Hide Layer can be a good gild if you have access to plenty of hides, it all depends if you have someone with sew*dex to not horribly softcap everything. Early world you can make things like Fur Boots and Hide Cloak to gild.

If you have flax you can make two pairs of Linen Shirts and Pants (have to go with less if you opt for torso/leg armor.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:36 am

vatas wrote: if you have access to plenty of hides

Everyone has access to plenty of hides. It's just a matter of how many squirrels and rabbits you want to catch ;)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Swordfire » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:22 pm

Hello hello
I started playing again after the end of world 11
I wanted to brush up on the Fighting Skill "wonderful Guide BTW" and I came upon this

zebratul wrote:
If you have picked up the «Rage» skill, your knocked out body will still be targetable by animals and evil-doers after knockdown. You can and will be re-aggroed. This is a quick way to die, don’t learn Rage if you’re not into bullying people.

The wiki mentions that it's actually the Murder Skill that lets others kill you
Can you please clarify? I really wish to unlock the Death or Glory Maneuver
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Swordfire

Postby meus » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:15 pm

I think Rage is now not the case. It's Murder, and not just the skill, but the ability it unlocks - Murderous Rage:

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Murder
The ability to enter Murderous Rage, a status buff which lasts 24 real life hours ... nullifying your knockout protection.

So if you try to murder someone, you will as well become "murder-able". This is when you activate the buff to try to kill someone else. In case you haven't activated it for said period, you should still be in knockout protection - this is in case someone else initiates combat with you, or you with them - but without activating Murderous Rage.

They can potentially still kill you out of Murderous Rage, e.g., bringing some Sand Fleas (?) or Bees (?) or similar to your body especially if you are just AFKing, but it will just be more difficult to kill you by attacking you directly.

Otherwise you could just log out at some point if you are knocked out and in knockout protection.
meus

Postby vatas » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:57 pm

Sand fleas were nerfed long time ago, they now lose their ability to bite people after they've been picked up even once.

Leech trick might work, haven't heard any nerfs to it. if you see someone doing that to you, Travel to Hearth Fire while KO'd as you should, enable "auto-drop leeches" if you're using custom client with that option and hope for the best. With default client, hold down CTRL and start doing your best APM to click on every non-bloated leech immediately after your character gets up.

vatas

Postby Swordfire » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:58 pm

meus wrote:I think Rage is now not the case. It's Murder, and not just the skill, but the ability it unlocks - Murderous Rage:

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Murder
The ability to enter Murderous Rage, a status buff which lasts 24 real life hours ... nullifying your knockout protection.

So if you try to murder someone, you will as well become "murder-able". This is when you activate the buff to try to kill someone else. In case you haven't activated it for said period, you should still be in knockout protection - this is in case someone else initiates combat with you, or you with them - but without activating Murderous Rage.

They can potentially still kill you out of Murderous Rage, e.g., bringing some Sand Fleas (?) or Bees (?) or similar to your body especially if you are just AFKing, but it will just be more difficult to kill you by attacking you directly.

Otherwise you could just log out at some point if you are knocked out and in knockout protection.

Thank you!
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Swordfire

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:13 pm

vatas wrote:Leech trick might work, haven't heard any nerfs to it. if you see someone doing that to you, Travel to Hearth Fire while KO'd as you should, enable "auto-drop leeches" if you're using custom client with that option and hope for the best. With default client, hold down CTRL and start doing your best APM to click on every non-bloated leech immediately after your character gets up.

Even without a custom client, leeches are slow enough to start sucking blood that there is plenty of time to hearth back and remove them manually.

Swordfire wrote:The wiki mentions that it's actually the Murder Skill that lets others kill you
Can you please clarify? I really wish to unlock the Death or Glory Maneuver

Just to note: you can die to repeated KOs, too, so if you don't hearth back when you have the chance, there's a good chance you'll just get knocked again and still die.

Also, thanks for pointing this out. Some of the guide writers haven't played in a while or haven't updated their posts, and I try to get to them when folks point out issues. I've updated the first post.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?