getting started for dummies, etc...

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

getting started for dummies, etc...

Postby Midnight_Carnival » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:07 pm

:cry: Hello.
I'm sure I'm just duplicating something which was covered a thousand times already. If so, please post a link and lock the thread if you need to.

You have this very nice "play" button and I love open source/free games so I thought I would give this one a shot. But clicking on the "play" button downloads a file which I can't do anything with. I also followed the link and installed Java, but I haven't seen any difference.

Could someone pretend I'm a 75 year old trying to learn to use his grandson's computer - I know less than nothing - and explain in painfully simple terms how I play H&H please.
Midnight_Carnival

Re: getting started for dummies, etc...

Postby sMartins » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi there, nice to see you.
Yes, you need java to run this game. Java is a software that will allow you to open that file you downloaded from here.
So, there are 2 types of Java, Java 32 bit and java 64bit, according with your Operating System on your PC. You need to discover if your OS is 32 or 64bit.
Sometimes running the game with java 32bit on a PC that use a 64bit OS can cause some issues.
If your PC is not too old, Java 64 bit is usually recommended.
So:
1) Check wich version of windows you have (operating system OS): go in control panel, then system, then check for operating system.
2) go in control panel, then programs and features (hope it's the right name in English), and unistall(delete) the previous version of Java you installed
3) go here: https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp , click and download:
Windows Online if your OS is 32 bit
Windows Offline (64bit), if your OS is 64bit
4) Install this program following the instructions
5) once complete, if still you are not able to open the file (should not be the case) you can right click the game file and choose "open with" now you need to locate the Java software you have just installed and tell him to open that file with Java....this is a bit hard, maybe ask your grandson for help :D.

This is a very beautiful game, very in depth and nice, but could be a bit hard to start.
So here a beginners guide, even if outadated in some regards is very helpfull:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40714
And here the Wiki of the game (it's like a dictionary of the game, you can search almost everything about the game, items, tools, and so on):
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Haven_and_Hearth_Wiki

Hope to have helped, sorry my English, but I'm Italian .... enjoy the game and have fun :D
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Granger » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:08 pm

Midnight_Carnival wrote::cry: Hello.
I'm sure I'm just duplicating something which was covered a thousand times already. If so, please post a link and lock the thread if you need to.

You have this very nice "play" button and I love open source/free games so I thought I would give this one a shot. But clicking on the "play" button downloads a file which I can't do anything with. I also followed the link and installed Java, but I haven't seen any difference.

Could someone pretend I'm a 75 year old trying to learn to use his grandson's computer - I know less than nothing - and explain in painfully simple terms how I play H&H please.

Regarding your problem with Java: Did you reboot your machine after installing Java?
As you use the grandson's computer (hopefully with his permission): a simple way to get the game going would be to ask him for help ;)
In case that didn't help: Please provide specifics (as listed in the Bug Creation Howto) so we can help you better: type of OS, browser, ...

Links to guides and stuff in my signature, in the bug reporting howto is a link to the java 64bit offline installer (which you might need in case of problems with the 32bit version that you most likely will have pulled when using the normal installer from a browser, remove all other java installations prior installing the 64 bit one).
In case you use Windows reboot the machine after installing new software (a sad but needed ritual as it's a microsoft OS).

Welcome.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Midnight_Carnival » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:16 am

:D
Granger wrote:As you use the grandson's computer (hopefully with his permission): a simple way to get the game going would be to ask him for help ;)

... hAHAHAHAH
Yes, um my grandson is kind of helping me.
No, I'm not 75 years old, it's just that I spent 6 years studying Daemonology and not I don't interface well with technology.
Anyway thanks.

Also, sMartins thanks, your English was flawless and you advice good, I'll try and get into it.
Midnight_Carnival

Postby Gregroy » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:41 pm

ok is it possible that you can use a no download java program i got a password blocking me from downloading stuff
Gregroy

Postby loskierek » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:40 pm

Gregroy wrote:ok is it possible that you can use a no download java program i got a password blocking me from downloading stuff

you can download a custom client on another machine, put it on a pendrive and voila.
loskierek

Return to How do I?