Project: "New Player Guide"

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Project: "New Player Guide"

Postby Tubby_Squirrel » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:40 pm

New players don't need min maxing strats. They don't need bots or scripts or clients.

They need basic fundamentals of the game. What is a discovery? What is the difference between exp and LP? What's the difference between stats and attributes? What do each of the first hand full of skills do? Why does quality matter and when does it matter?

Eating could honestly be an entire episode on its own, there's so much to go over. Stamina, energy, hunger, FEPs, satiations...

And as a last segment or episode or whatever more established guidance. How can I protect myself? When should I start doing combat, and how does it work? How do I start mining?

They don't need exact combat formulas or quality calculations... But on the same note you shouldn't just tell them what to do. You shouldn't tell them "Spam upercut and side swipe" a good guide should make them understand why that strategy works.
Tubby_Squirrel

Re: Project: "New Player Guide"

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:16 am

Tubby_Squirrel wrote:New players don't need min maxing strats. They don't need bots or scripts or clients.

They need basic fundamentals of the game. What is a discovery? What is the difference between exp and LP? What's the difference between stats and attributes? What do each of the first hand full of skills do? Why does quality matter and when does it matter?

Eating could honestly be an entire episode on its own, there's so much to go over. Stamina, energy, hunger, FEPs, satiations...

And as a last segment or episode or whatever more established guidance. How can I protect myself? When should I start doing combat, and how does it work? How do I start mining?

They don't need exact combat formulas or quality calculations... But on the same note you shouldn't just tell them what to do. You shouldn't tell them "Spam upercut and side swipe" a good guide should make them understand why that strategy works.

Previous guides that were well regarded by the community definitely followed these guidelines. They are good points.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Previous

Return to How do I?