Project: "New Player Guide"

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Project: "New Player Guide"

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:48 am

It might be more of an intermediate thought, but a list of mistakes I commonly see people make:

1) Caring about the quality of crops other than Turnips/Flax
2) Caring about animal quality, without going hyper-autistic on it
3) Putting significant effort into metal quality without access to level 9
4) Hunting anything other than whales/trolls/mammoths(early game, bones)/Moose(bones)/anglers(early game) (unless you're trying to make a sweaty PVP character/miner early world)
5) Making LARP foods(Read as: not streamlining your base around making ~10 of the best effort:FEP foods you can make)
6) Not using barterstands in almost every production line
7) Not knowing what to trade
8) Not knowing basic running techniques / that raw hide exists
9) Not knowing quell the beast exists
10) Not understanding HHP damage & caps
11) Not knowing the bots in public clients (for example Ard's pepper bot, farming bot)
12) Not knowing which credos are important(lots of cave hermits, mystics, and herders about)
13) Not knowing to test local tree growth speeds & how to decide which tree is best for them to plant based on that & their wood production goals

This is very much coming from a min/max perspective, but I feel like every day I see people wasting their time making grub pies, replanting the carrots in their quality patch, (((poorly))) breeding their goats, and studying scarab talismans when the extra 1k LP/h will literally never make a difference.

I don't intend to edit the wiki, but if anybody wants obscure information to put there, I'd be happy to help with details any potential writers are unsure about
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Clemence » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:29 am

You can also have a word for new players on an old world : explore and find abandoned farms, fishing a lot, etc.
Clemence

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:27 am

MagicManICT wrote:A basic instruction manual.

Still not sure im getting it right - you want to make a "how to be a successful player in hnh"? (I personally think that such guides is always limiting the playstyle and mostly destroys the immerse from the game), or you want to show "what does this game have and how to interact with this" letting ppl to decide by themself what to do with this info?
Im asking just because it's hard to make proper feedback on such a project when you don't know what should it look like.
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby TheOriginalFive » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:02 am

Unlike what certain people think, min-maxing gameplay generally seems to lead to a drop in player activity.

If you're going for basics I'd go for simple enough that a completely new player can grasp what to expect in the game, how to proceed to a village estate, AND to maintain the village while not burning out on the ingame chores.

Too commonly most players tell newbies to rush for combat and to get into PvP, which is not always feasible as nowadays some players want to enjoy the life sim part. Unpopular opinion, but it seems that the life sim/cooperative emphasis is what the game is heading for.
TheOriginalFive

Postby vatas » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:49 am

Things you should know but aren't explained in-game/obvious:

*You need to hold CTRL and left-click to exit boats and other vehicles
*You "deliver" items to quest givers by grabbing the item on your mouse cursor, and right-clicking the quest giver (various other interactions like putting seeds into bucket or moving liquids between containers use the same system)

Useful items to use/aim for at the start:

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Bark_Cordage
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Birchbark_Backpack
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Wanderer%27s_Bindle
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby vatas » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:52 am

Curiosities you can gather without any skills or softcap:

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Poppycaps (if winter hasn't stripped them)
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Worm-Eaten_Apple (summer/autumn)
http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Cat_Gold (chipping boulders

(Bit of a trivia I felt like posting.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Apocoreo » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:08 am

I would put Crafting and Building after Hunting and put Fishing after that. Maybe change Hunting into Small Game Hunting and place Big Game Hunting after Farming. perhaps even put Crafting and Building before Hunting and add Terraforming and Construction after Hunting

Let me explain, this is from my experiences starting over during w11 after quitting at the beginning of w8, playing as a casual hermit.

Foraging:
Teaches basic gathering of food and materials for future crafting. Let's the Nab eat enough to not die. Ants should be addressed here as they kill a lot of Nabs. How to run from animals could be mentioned as well.

Crafting and Building:
Teaches the Nab to use readily available materials to create a stone axe, kuksa, fire, leanto, thatch bed, and wicker basket.

Hunting:
This NEEDS to be before building a house because of boards. Teaches the new player about rabbits, squirrels, birds. Teaches the Nab to identify small game by if they are right-clickable, therefore teaches them not to fight foxes (a frustration recently expressed by a new player, I might ad). Warns the Nab about Wood Grouse Hens and Cocks. Explains SOME animals (no small game) can't move through water, THEN explains ants and how to cheese them without fighting. Tanning should be tacked on the end so they are ready for a palisade.

Terraforming and Construction:
I don't have to tell you that security is paramount is Haven. We don't need them building a home only to get fucked by a player, could be frustrating. So here they learn about claims (which could be its own section tbh), then leveling, paving, building a fence, THEN building babies first log cabin, and it should be a cabin so they are encouraged to move later. Boom, they are now slightly secure.

Fishing:
I didn't need to fish at all, totally unnecessary. But when I started paying more and more, I needed more food for energy. Fishing is an excellent source of consistent food for a nab that does not care about stats yet. Unlike farming, you also get that food quickly. This stabilizes the Nab and teaches them about swimming, rivers, oceans, and boats.

After all that, they're still vulnerable. They need a palisade. Maybe that should be before fishing but it would be rough for a nab to build a pali with 1 character on foraged food. Might be tough to build the cabin, even so those last two could be swapped. Big Game hunting could be merged with combat too.

Anyway, just some thoughts, not trying to tell you what to do just thought my experiences last world might help.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:40 pm

That is actually the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Thanks for it. I think the longest thing I've written is about 1000 words, and you certainly couldn't split it up into chapters.

I'm writing a bunch of this up on my computer before posting it. I probably should start posting something soon... (I'm a terrible procrastinator).
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Apocoreo » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:00 pm

I got new people interested next world so I'm invested in this project. I'm no pvper or min/maxer but I can help Nabs get started. Might help with screenshots once you get some of the writings posted. If there's anything that I can add it's link wherever you can. Like; teach them how to craft an axe then just link for every other item saying "make this". Mention adders are venomous but don't go into detail.

6) Not using barterstands in almost every production line

Never heard of this and played since w4. Is that like a capitalist style village where villagers trade their products for one anothers?
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby WowGain » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:48 pm

Apocoreo wrote:snip

I'm similarly unfamiliar with the tech of it but I'm pretty sure the intention is that by using barterstands you can easily teach new characters/alts items without having to make them material accounts for everything
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?