My friend and I locked our boat and didnt get a key

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

My friend and I locked our boat and didnt get a key

Postby Acefirebird » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:54 am

My friend and I joined the game after many years being absent and we made it our goal to build a snekkja.

We worked consistently for a month to get enough materials to build the snekkja. The tar sticks were extremely hard to get but we found ways to make the kiln work faster from the wiki.

At one point I found a wooden lock inside a bin in an abandoned town and I decided to use that to lock the boat. I was very careful with the lock and made sure to have room in my inventory for it.

Today we finally built the boat and had a celebratory feast. After the feast we were putting the cargo in the boat and I decided to lock it with the wooden lock that I found. When I finally locked it, I did not get a key!!!

Am I missing something, where is the key? I did everything right. Is there any way to get the boat back?

I swear to fucking god if we are permanently locked out from this boat I am going to end everything. Not really but I'll be seriously disappointed.

Please tell me there is a way to get the boat back.
Spooky.
Acefirebird

Re: My friend and I locked our boat and didnt get a key

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:54 am

Locks that have been set to a master key before they were installed will not spawn a new master key once you install them.

Why would you install a lock you have found, instead of crafting a new one? If you didn't get a key, someone must've set that lock to another master key, and you need the master key to remove a lock. Your ship is doomed.
Wooden locks require one single wooden block to craft.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby WESKERBOY » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:47 am

Nightdawg wrote:Locks that have been set to a master key before they were installed will not spawn a new master key once you install them.

Why would you install a lock you have found, instead of crafting a new one? If you didn't get a key, someone must've set that lock to another master key, and you need the master key to remove a lock. Your ship is doomed.
Wooden locks require one single wooden block to craft.

Ye I was thinking the same, Is like locking your house with a lock u found on the street and then wonder y u dont have the key XD
W5 hermit
W6 hermit
Dropout
1/2 w11 hermit other 1/2 citizen of Arkona
WESKERBOY

Postby vatas » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:33 am

I added a specific warning about this to wiki after the first one or two threads like this. After the third, I made it [b]old. What should I do now?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby mvgulik » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:48 am

vatas wrote:I added a specific warning about this to wiki after the first one or two threads like this. After the third, I made it [b]old. What should I do now?

There is probably not much more you can do (on RoB) to prevent new user from making this mistake.
Dev's should probably look into making it more clearer if a lock is set to a key or not. (including its tooltip content)
mvgulik

Postby Acefirebird » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:56 am

vatas wrote:I added a specific warning about this to wiki after the first one or two threads like this. After the third, I made it [b]old. What should I do now?

OP here. Yeah I read the warning BEFORE making the mistake and it honestly didnt register. I'm honestly such an idiot for not just making my own lock.

Time to start from scratch I guess :lol:
Spooky.
Acefirebird

Postby WESKERBOY » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:21 am

Acefirebird wrote:

OP here. Yeah I read the warning BEFORE making the mistake and it honestly didnt register. I'm honestly such an idiot for not just making my own lock.

Time to start from scratch I guess :lol:

Thats the beauty of hnh, toda i killed a chasm with some friends and forgot not to attack after 19k I ruined q u.u
W5 hermit
W6 hermit
Dropout
1/2 w11 hermit other 1/2 citizen of Arkona
WESKERBOY

Return to How do I?