Can't run the game from website play button [SOLVED]

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Can't run the game from website play button [SOLVED]

Postby zefirek45 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:34 am

Hello everyone !

Got a problem running the game using play button on top of the website on Windows 10. Clicking play button just downloads java file automatically (no option to open).
After download using java webstart or any other java file it says it can't run the application I got already java 8 newest version and.
In this case i need to use some custom client like amber. From what i recall clicking play button should open me a windows with game automatically.
Couldn't find any info on the forum.

Any ideas how to fix it ?
Last edited by zefirek45 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zefirek45

Re: Can't run the game from website play button

Postby vatas » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:02 am

Java dropped some web app support, these days "Play" button can only offer you to download "autohaven.jar" that you need to manually run to open the default client.

Q&A also has a link http://www.havenandhearth.com/java/hafen-launcher.jar as an answer to a question "Can I install the game client on my computer?"

Not sure if there's any difference, it seems to function identically to "autohaven.jar"

Note that while default client is launched by opening either of these files, custom clients usually have some sort of "run.bat" -file.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:36 am

Make sure to run autohaven.jar with "java.exe." If Java is installed and configured properly, you should be able to simply double click the autohaven.jar file to launch it. Otherwise, in Windows, you can always right click a file, select "Open With...," select Java Platform Second Edition, and be sure to check "always use this app to launch this type of file." You may need to manually navigate to the location you installed Java. Look in "Java/<java version>/bin." If you continue to get any errors, please follow up and we'll do our best to help get problems resolved.

Oracle has deprecated support of Java Web Start. What this means is that any apps that use it need to change before support is officially dropped so that the app can be launched like other Java apps using java.exe. Haven & Hearth has already made that conversion.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby zefirek45 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:00 pm

Thank you for your help !

I have tried every .exe from java bin file. Using java.exe to open autohaven.jar or hafen-launcher.jar opens an empty command prompt window for a second than it disapears and nothing happens.
Managed to run it through making a .bat file like you pointed about custom clients.

If anyone will run into the same problem:
1. Make a txt file in the same directory where you have autohaven.jar (you can name it run.txt)
2. Copy this line to the txt
start javaw -jar ./autohaven.jar
3. Change the extension file to .bat
4. Run the run.bat file and the game should start.

Or download official client from QA section and in point 2. copy the line:
start java -jar ./hafen-launcher.jar

Official client works smother and with less lags for me.
zefirek45

Return to How do I?