Please, introduce me to PvE combat.

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Please, introduce me to PvE combat.

Postby Agrik » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:31 am

Adri wrote:If you get attacked by any lethal animal (like a boar or a badger)
I'm not sure whether I've had to use it personally, but at least I believe that "Quell the Beast" hearth magic can save your life. Save XP to be able to use it, and try to memorize its hotkey combo (or put it on a hotbar).

Adri wrote:(put your cup/waterskin on your hotkey bar, preferably to number 5-9 or to F1-F9, so you can use hotkeys in combat)
Isn't it 6-0, as opposed to 1-5?
Agrik

Postby Adri » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:54 am

Halbertz wrote:Good to know that you are doing fine. One more advice:
If you have friend (with leveled surv) you can hunt together. Combat mechanics making quantity above quality. Example: fight with moose on 100 stats will be tough, but 2 people with 70 stats will annihilate it without chances for poor elk.

Thank you! I will try to get our other hunter guy to assist me in hunting bigger game. He is currently "bedridden" with a broken hand.

Agrik wrote:I'm not sure whether I've had to use it personally, but at least I believe that "Quell the Beast" hearth magic can save your life. Save XP to be able to use it, and try to memorize its hotkey combo (or put it on a hotbar).

Oh, right, I forgot about it. I should definitely put this on the hotkey bar, -5,000 EXP is way better than uh... A new character. Thank you.

Agrik wrote:Isn't it 6-0, as opposed to 1-5?

Pardon, I have a non-English keyboard. It should be 6-0 for English keyboard, indeed.
Adri

Postby shubla » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:24 am

My honest advice is to get maybe 40 melee or so, a sword and a shield.
Then learn how to bug hunt with boat and congratulations you are able to kill every animal in game except mammoth, which requires different bugs.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Barbamaus » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:24 pm

Does nobody hunt using UA, or at least without cheesing with caves and boats?
Barbamaus

Postby Zampfeo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:33 pm

Barbamaus wrote:Does nobody hunt using UA, or at least without cheesing with caves and boats?

Only until the animal is heavily outstated. The potential for wounds and damaging armor makes it not worth it. You could eventually have the stats to kill a bear with an uppercut + sideswipe and at that point boat cheese is more trouble than it is worth. It's just a matter of your stats. It doesn't take much stats to do this with weaker animals like bats and foxes.
Zampfeo

Postby kmarad » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:04 pm

Barbamaus wrote:Does nobody hunt using UA, or at least without cheesing with caves and boats?

That just doesn't make sense, really.
Fighting honourably, by the time you get a badger vest, you'll meet raiders with wolf capes, beast rings, lynx gloves, steel swords...

In a solo-player game, sure, you'd go for the extra challenge.
But in a multiplayer game with open pvp you probably don't want to ruin your session by forcing difficulty.

Plus it's almost impossible to hunt properly without abusing the poor AI.
I mean a strong character could certainly fight a lynx, but when the lynx starts running good luck following it.
A 30 MC toon will destroy it without being hit, from the safety of a dugout...
kmarad

Previous

Return to How do I?