Odd taming behavior?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Odd taming behavior?

Postby valeriesusanne » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:58 pm

This happened, that I had not seen before while taming:

Animal (mouflon) in stance - engaged, peaced, battle started - everything OK so far...
At the point where animal should have disengaged and walked off, it just stood there in battle stance, but not fighting (yellow percent number appeared as it does)
I was not able to leash it (no "animal thrashing" message, just rope wanting to stockpile)
I just stood there looking at it wondering what to do, for maybe one or two minutes...
then poof! it disengaged and wandered off! I was able to leash it, and it was at the appropriate percent tame.

This was very confusing - the animal in battle stance for so long after it should have surrendered, looking and behaving exactly as it does when it is ready for the taming battle
I can see how one would be tempted to hit it again (I thought about it). Is this something new? Or just something I've not seen before now?
I saw that others were having trouble, and one of my game pals said he accidentally killed his mouflon and wasn't sure why
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

Re: Odd taming behavior?

Postby Sevenless » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:34 pm

I have found if you are meleeing an animal for taming and it tries to "tame" but can't reach you due to being blocked, it can fail to tame permanently and refuse to stop fighting.

I always take my animals to a threshold (100 sheep, 150 goat, 200 horse, 250 cow, 300 pig) then start hitting them for <10 damage. Then for the last 50hp I facetank them and downgrade to q10 stone axe for all but pig which I QB with boarspear instead of full circle.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby vatas » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:03 pm

I can confirm that lowering the damage. once you hit certain threshold. seemed to reduce or even eliminate random failures.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Sevenless » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:44 pm

They tame within the last 25-50hp before they die. If you do large hits, you can kill them straight through that HP buffer before they have a chance to tame tick.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby ogey » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:31 am

Honestly, it's easier if you just tame with a bow. Hitch the animal close to water, get on a rowboat, aggro, peace and shoot it until it yelds. For whatever reason, trying to cheese with melee often resulted in dead animals for me but safely pincushioning it from the water never failed. You can tame boars with the first hunter credo reward and some bone arrows. Just get ready to craft a lot of arrow because they're all going in the water.
ogey

Postby valeriesusanne » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:54 am

Thanks for all the tips!

I normally have good luck with taming, and this animal did eventually submit just fine....

My question was... has anyone had experience with this behavior, where the animal - instead of surrendering at a certain point (when you see the yellow percent number)
just stands there for a couple of minutes - not fighting, but in the stance like just just before you battle him - then all the sudden walks off. Properly progressed.

This was confusing because I wasn't expecting it. He was tamed, but didn't act/look tamed for about two minutes. If I had hit him during that "lag" it would have ruined him.
Just thinking this might be something to watch out for - so one doesn't keep hitting the animal and ruining progress if this happens (it only happened that one time with me).

Thanks guys! And yes, boat taming is super easy :) So, maybe this happens if the animal can't reach me? In any case, he did eventually submit - without me doing anything else.
"He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child." General Roth'h'ar Sarris
valeriesusanne

Postby vatas » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:21 am

The way taming failed for us, was that they showed number like 75 but also 0 and would just keep fighting until they were killed (or combat was dropped, but then they would basically turn into fresh wild animal and would need a clover fed if you wanted to leash them and try again.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Sevenless » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:22 pm

vatas wrote:The way taming failed for us, was that they showed number like 75 but also 0 and would just keep fighting until they were killed (or combat was dropped, but then they would basically turn into fresh wild animal and would need a clover fed if you wanted to leash them and try again.)

I had that issue until I started always facetanking the final 50hp of taming. My theory is that the taming disengage is an actual attack they apply when you deal damage. If they can't reach you, it can fail to register somehow. This definitely happens for melee, but I've heard that doesn't happen for ranged.

Somewhat strange, but I'm 100% confident about face tanking solving it. I've tamed 30ish animals this world.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby ogey » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:04 pm

Sevenless wrote:This definitely happens for melee, but I've heard that doesn't happen for ranged.

It does not which is why I only tame with a bow now. Never fails, almost 0 requirements and don't need to worry about crafting more armor or putting on some gauze after since you never get touched.
ogey

Postby UnManism » Sat May 01, 2021 9:35 pm

I killed like that around 5 horses. Boat taming melee.
Started fightning. Peace button check. Hitting for 10hp. Horse close to 220 dmg still dont deaggro. Lower hitting to around 1, 3 shp. Horse close to 328 dmg still dont deaggro. Hit for 3 dmg. Horse dead...

Im just thinking my horses dont want to be tamed, just killed :(
UnManism

Next

Return to How do I?