Video memory overflow & crashing while streaming

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Video memory overflow & crashing while streaming

Postby Adri » Mon May 03, 2021 6:38 am

Do NOT download Java from Oracle's site.

Download it from Java.com's site, preferably the 64-bit version.

The two are not the same!!

The Oracle one will cause all kinds of messy behaviour, such as the client instantly crashing during streaming, the Ender client refusing to open, and so on.

Sharing this as we spent a good 2 hours of troubleshooting with my friend on this issue, only to find out the two versions are different. (Check it with java -version.)
Hopefully, this will save someone some headache.
Adri

Re: Video memory overflow & crashing while streaming

Postby MagicManICT » Mon May 03, 2021 8:25 am

Correct. The java.com version is still the latest official consumer download. This is why we have it stickied in this forum. The version from oracle.com is the latest build of the JDK, version 16 (not sure of build number without looking). Haven, at this point in time, only works with versions of Java up through 15 (and that may have some bugs). Java JDK 11 is the most recent required version by any of the modded clients. According to some testing, Java 15 may actually improve performance of Haven under certain settings. Anything newer than 8 is use at your own risk. If you do use newer, please be helpful and post any bug reports you might have.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Mon May 03, 2021 3:12 pm

Last I checked though, java.com only distributed Java 8. While Java 8 is supported, Java 11 generally has fairly improved performance (especially GC-wise), so I would recommend 11 by default.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Mon May 03, 2021 6:57 pm

loftar wrote:Last I checked though, java.com only distributed Java 8. While Java 8 is supported, Java 11 generally has fairly improved performance (especially GC-wise), so I would recommend 11 by default.

The only reason I can see for the way the newer versions are published is that Java 8 is the lastest version of the JRE*. Anything newer requires downloading and installing the JDK.

*latest free version? Haven't really followed all this change by Oracle the last few years regarding the development and publishing of Java standards.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to How do I?