Grand List of Simple Questions

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Grand List of Simple Questions

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:00 pm

Pommfritz wrote:The skill Shield up has a block weight of 250%*MC, my MC is at 20+20 with gear so the block weight is 40*250% = 100 ?
Now if I want to use for example Chin up, I have to get to 100 UA to make it better than Shield up?

It's not a easily answered question as you're comparing two defenses. To make them identical scores, yes, you're correct. The "real answer" is a bit fuzzier, and has to account the combat skill of your opponent. As little as 50 UA could make Chin Up as good as 40 MC using Shield Up against a person with only 100 attack skill (whether UA or MC). On the other hand, if you're against an opponent that has 200 attack skill, 50 UA using Chip Up will be at a significant disadvantage compared to using the Shield Up maneuver with 40 MC, as Shield Up will be treated as about equivalent to the 200 attack skill. Basically, there's a balancing mechanic that has an equivalency value from about 1/2 to 2 times your relevant combat score being used. If you have 50 in your defense, and an attacker has 100, you both are treated as an equal score. If you have 200 in defense, and the attacker again has 100, you're still treated as an equal score.

Pommfritz wrote:also what does this mean:

It means if you're using a weapon, it uses your character's value in Melee Combat for attack weight. To note, even with a weapon equipped, if you use an unarmed combat attack, it still uses unarmed combat as the skill. To phrase it differently, this is the "default rule" when a specific rule for a weapon doesn't apply. Some weapons will have a multiplier on them like .8 * MC, etc. so if you have a MC of 100, then the calculation uses only 80. There are a few weapons, such as Cutthroat Knuckles that use Unarmed, Bows and slings use Marksmanship, and a few other exceptions to the rules that should be noted on a weapon.

I hope I didn't make the subject muddier.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Pommfritz » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Some foods I craft always get extra con FEPs that are not shown in the tool tip and it's really annoying me since I try to work around my high con stat to boost other stats. For example I jsut made Grubpie it should give 2str/2per/2will but for some reason has +1 con on there as well. Also all (or most idk) sausages I craft have extra con on them. Why is that? Extra FEPs are nice in general, if I need them but my con is 62 atm while str is 44 and it's really hard to catch up like that xd
Pommfritz

Postby AHONEN » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:45 pm

Pommfritz wrote:Some foods I craft always get extra con FEPs that are not shown in the tool tip and it's really annoying me since I try to work around my high con stat to boost other stats. For example I jsut made Grubpie it should give 2str/2per/2will but for some reason has +1 con on there as well. Also all (or most idk) sausages I craft have extra con on them. Why is that? Extra FEPs are nice in general, if I need them but my con is 62 atm while str is 44 and it's really hard to catch up like that xd

FEP heavily depends on variable ingredients (e.g. you can use barley or wheat or millet flour for pies) so you'll never know until you actually cook it.
I think most players rely on online food database such as mentioned below.

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=68530
AHONEN

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:27 pm

I researched some recipes and made some solid progress on that now thx :D

crafted myself a q89 bronze sword now with an anvil I found and thinking of crafting a boar spear. I want to kill a bear at some point and never did boat hunting. is a boar spear necessairy to kill a bear from a boat? I could make a q67 one after being softcapped because I just have 20mm (str 112 now and smithing 72 with gear). Is it worth it? I could maybe up MM to 50 or something and try to kill some cave anglers as well ^^ it was impossible for me a few days ago with just a sword
Pommfritz

Postby vatas » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:55 pm

Pommfritz wrote:I researched some recipes and made some solid progress on that now thx :D

crafted myself a q89 bronze sword now with an anvil I found and thinking of crafting a boar spear. I want to kill a bear at some point and never did boat hunting. is a boar spear necessairy to kill a bear from a boat? I could make a q67 one after being softcapped because I just have 20mm (str 112 now and smithing 72 with gear). Is it worth it? I could maybe up MM to 50 or something and try to kill some cave anglers as well ^^ it was impossible for me a few days ago with just a sword

Reason people boat hunt with a Boar Spear is that it gives extra attack range on "any melee weapon" -attacks, allowing you to position yourself in a "sweetspot" where you can hit the animal but the animal can't hit you.

Pulling this off in practice can be bit tricky but can be done reliably after you figure it out, the main problem to know beforehand is that if you're out of range and use attack, character won't move at maximum range. Instead, it collides right into the target hitbox and then attacks. You need to be the specific distance away from animal before you attack it.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby tiarali » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:49 am

I just saw a tree start walking around? WTF?
tiarali

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:11 pm

does primitive casting rod quality matter? (there is no formula on the wiki)
Pommfritz

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:59 pm

Pommfritz wrote:does primitive casting rod quality matter? (there is no formula on the wiki)

Yes. In general, items that don't have a quality formula posted have a geometric mean of the parts as the quality. https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Quality
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Phaen » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:58 pm

Did the green & red hands get switched at one point?

On the wiki it says "Put the red (taking) hand in the second container. When someone makes a purchase, their payment goes into this container." but ingame the green hand desposits items from a purchase.
Phaen

Postby NickRom0 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:53 am

What does the ancestral altar want ??? I gave him an empty pot, and a full one, and even with a petted tree. Accepts nothing. I take it with the left button and give it with the right mouse button, right? In the ARD client writes "treepot-u". Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Что хочет алтарь предков??? Я ему давал и пустой горшок, и заполненный, и даже с просшим деревом. Ничего не принимает. Беру левой кнопкой отдаю правой кнопкой мыши, ведь так? В АРД клиенте пишет "treepot-u". Может быть я что-то не так делаю?
Attachments
Безымянный.jpg
Безымянный.jpg (159.74 KiB) Viewed 315 times
NickRom0

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?