Grand List of Simple Questions

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Mouse is grabbed constantly while trying to type in chat

Postby Dondy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:36 pm

Almost every activity now does something that grabs my mouse while I am typing in chat and it does it repeatedly. It takes the typing I am doing in the chat line and turns it into commands. This makes chatting with other players while I am harvesting, leveling, crafting, etc. basically impossible. I have to stop playing to have a conversation.

It used to be possible to do many things while chatting with other players which are now impossible.

Switching to voice is not an option for casual conversation in realm, village, area chat, private chat, etc.

What is causing this, and is there hopefully some key bind commands I can use to fix it?
Dondy

Re: Mouse is grabbed constantly while trying to type in chat

Postby WiseWoman » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:42 am

Dondy wrote:Almost every activity now does something that grabs my mouse while I am typing in chat and it does it repeatedly. It takes the typing I am doing in the chat line and turns it into commands. This makes chatting with other players while I am harvesting, leveling, crafting, etc. basically impossible. I have to stop playing to have a conversation.

It used to be possible to do many things while chatting with other players which are now impossible.

Switching to voice is not an option for casual conversation in realm, village, area chat, private chat, etc.

What is causing this, and is there hopefully some key bind commands I can use to fix it?

I am also extremely frustrated by this exact issue! A solution would be welcome!
WiseWoman

Re: Mouse is grabbed constantly while trying to type in chat

Postby springyb » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:55 am

Dondy wrote:Almost every activity now does something that grabs my mouse while I am typing in chat and it does it repeatedly. It takes the typing I am doing in the chat line and turns it into commands. This makes chatting with other players while I am harvesting, leveling, crafting, etc. basically impossible. I have to stop playing to have a conversation.

It's most likely when something auto stacks in your inventory.
springyb

Re: Grand List of Simple Questions

Postby vatas » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:12 am

I complained of similar issue here.

In that case the issue is particularly egregious since you "This is Bait" -window has no keyboard shortcuts and thus has no reason to be the active window. Inventory becoming the active window, when something enters it, is at least somewhat understandable.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Executioner » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:17 am

I have a few simple questions

1) If I have done 'claim land' and made a square over all my stuff and build a palisade all the way around am I safe?

In these sandbox MMOs theres always some janky bullshit mechanics I just want to be certain I havent missed something and someone gonna jump over my wall somehow (literally what happened to me last time I played life is feudal and build a palisade).

2) Is fish the best food? Ive tried a bunch of other recipes but either Im misunderstanding something or it seems like they all suck compared to fish

3) Do I have to make a seperate character for mining? I cba with alts its so tedious.

4) Is there a chance to perma die from mining? I've heard people mention various risks in the underworld but is that like boar tier or legit perma death tier? Is a troll gonna appear and just 1 shot me?

Im considering not bothering with mining at all and just trade for metal in a market. I want to learn the game but I also dont want to lose my character.
Executioner

Postby Ø » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:01 pm

Executioner wrote:I have a few simple questions

1) If I have done 'claim land' and made a square over all my stuff and build a palisade all the way around am I safe?

In these sandbox MMOs theres always some janky bullshit mechanics I just want to be certain I havent missed something and someone gonna jump over my wall somehow (literally what happened to me last time I played life is feudal and build a palisade).

2) Is fish the best food? Ive tried a bunch of other recipes but either Im misunderstanding something or it seems like they all suck compared to fish

3) Do I have to make a seperate character for mining? I cba with alts its so tedious.

4) Is there a chance to perma die from mining? I've heard people mention various risks in the underworld but is that like boar tier or legit perma death tier? Is a troll gonna appear and just 1 shot me?

Im considering not bothering with mining at all and just trade for metal in a market. I want to learn the game but I also dont want to lose my character.

1) No claim means anyone with enough Str can come along and bash your pali or build a wrecking ball and wait 24 hours to break your pali. Most people can't hand bash pali after a few days of soak and when fully soaked almost no one can hand bash. That said, without pali being in a claim it will decay damage. ALSO, if you didn't Seal your pali corners anyone with enough time and wood blocks can come along and add a layer around your pali to lock you out or in depending on where you're logged out of... Or even just put a claim on your land to kick you out or trap you.

Always make a claim. Always. There is almost never any reason to not make a claim.

2) Fish is great early game food, but the more you progress and learn the game the more you will start cooking specific foods to raise specific stats for your play style.

3) You don't have to have alts. Many people play with alts.

4) This is a perma death style game. Get knocked out enough by anything and your HHP can hit 0 and you will die. Trolls are rare and I doubt you will see one any time soon, but they are random so there is no guarantee of safety from them.
Ø

Postby ascote » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:42 pm

Executioner wrote:I have a few simple questions

2) Once you understand how FEP works you'll understand why you'll need different food types. That being said, high end feeding involves quite a bit of cheese, milk and baked goods. Get your farm started.

3) Having a dedicated alt means you don't have all of your eggs in one basket which is quite important in a perma death game.

4) Trolls, other player ambushes and cave-ins can kill you, both trolls and cave-ins scale with depth of the mine.

Also in case of palisades, your base can't be casually destroyed once it is dryed and inside a claim (village or personal) but that doesn't make it safe nor does it make you safe once you're outside, it just takes more effort.
ascote

Postby Miss_Min » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:15 pm

Executioner wrote:1) If I have done 'claim land' and made a square over all my stuff and build a palisade all the way around am I safe?
Seal your cornerposts. I *think* they've fixed all the walljumps that have previously existed, but if you don't seal the cornerposts or extend the claim far enough outside the walls, someone could build an extension off your pali and lock you in. If you ever get a minehole in your claim, remember that it is also a way in and needs a locked gate.
Ehh, you will understand food one day, for now don't worry about it; fish is better than eating raw nuts and berries, yeah.
3) Do I have to make a separate character for mining? I cba with alts its so tedious.
I don't always have a separate miner. It used to be important in Legacy because of different skill mechanics (Nature/Industry slider), but now you can just learn all the skills on the same character if you want. It's worth having some medicine in stock in advance of any accidents though!
YMMV but on the rare occasions when I have mined out a troll, I was able to run away without injury. I am legit terrible at combat and have not died from a troll. It just meant that e.g. I could never go back to that part of my mine again. Boreworms can also fuck right off, I've had worse injuries from them than from trolls (but never actually died yet). My worst mining injuries have probably been the result of overconfidence and/or failing to count properly. If you've got some metal and aren't good at minesweeper, build supports. If you're only concentrating at 80% or so and have access to hard metal, wear a mining helmet.
Miss_Min

Postby Ø » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:47 pm

Miss_Min wrote:Seal your cornerposts. I *think* they've fixed all the walljumps that have previously existed, but if you don't seal the cornerposts or extend the claim far enough outside the walls, someone could build an extension off your pali and lock you in. If you ever get a minehole in your claim, remember that it is also a way in and needs a locked gate.

You can no longer add to a pali that is inside an active claim without permissions.
Ø

Postby vatas » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:33 pm

https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Category:Spitroast_Fish

The fact that spitroasted fish is A) only 0.5 units of hunger B) gets sizzling buff if eaten soon after cooked C) contains INT from half of all the fish makes it superb early game food. If you're like me, you may actually run into the problem where spitroast fish is TOO good and eating it feels like a waste due to half of the FEPs gained overflowing into the void.

Note that spitroasting does have some drawbacks:
*No discoveries from filets
*No Fishy Eyeballs
*No roe
*While roast filets of fish have base 1.0 units of hunger, they tend to not give not as many different attributes, and many are purely INT.

INT is the best/least worst attribute to grow ahead of all others because being able to Study more/heavier Curiosities will be crucial and should help you make better foods that will help fixing the balance later.

In case you're not aware, prioritise building a https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Study_Desk to automatically refill curiosities, even while offline. At this point of the game, depending on the area you live on, one of the easier ways of collecting bones can be to wonder around forests and look for animal carcass/skeleton killed and left behind by other players. (People commonly kill animals solely for the Combat Move and LP rewards, and/or abandon low quality animals due to limiten capacity to haul carcass back to base.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?