A couple of questions about alchemy

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

A couple of questions about alchemy

Postby iTorvic » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:42 pm

So I've spent quite some time with alchemy, discovered properties of about a hundred of common ingredients and order of first two properties for most of them. I am able to make elixirs that fix almost any wound but I still have a couple of questions for my fellow alchemists out there:

1. Does anyone noticed that some ingredients are changing their properties slightly after a patch or after a new month starts? Honestly I think that I just was not paying attention and was making mistakes during my discoveries but I still wanted to check if anyone had same issue. For me it happened with Jasper and Green Kelp.
2. Is there a way to lower the time that is required to heal a wound with an elixir? I've tried to stack shorter duration and heal a couple of wounds but did not notice much difference. Maybe I wasn't lucky and it does not affect Nasty Warts or Wretched Gore or maybe I am missing something?
3. Is there a way to stack more than 3 combinations of properties? I've tried a number of times to make Mercurial Elixirs and Mushroom Decoctions with alchemical ingredients that each had 2 of the same properties but I am still getting the same result as if they only had one of said property. That happened both with Mineral Calcinations and Measured Distillates. At the same time I was not able to find any stone or mushroom that had 2 same properties, lets say two strength. Once again, is there anything that I missed or this is just not possible and we are restricted to have 60 stats per property at level 90 elixirs? If so then what is the point of Mineral Calcinations?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share their thoughts and experience.
iTorvic

Re: A couple of questions about alchemy

Postby Sevenless » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:19 am

1/ New wound types cause some properties to re-write. This has an indirect effect of making some potions lose matches, and also scrambles their negative effects (which are related to which attributes in a potion combination are left unmatched). Swamp fever addition broke one of my potions because it changed the wound type due to scrambling a property I wasn't matching.

2/ Rumours some potions have an invisible speed trait, just like some used to have an invisible "convert X into Y" debuff. Outside that, no you just need to wait. This was put into place to control the power of some endgame wound healing (bumburn) that was causing balance issues. Last I heard warts takes 2 weeks to heal 1 point, never tried it for wretched gore.

3/ There is no stacking potency that I'm aware of. Max is 1 per ingredient. Overall, the alchemy system isn't effective for buffs. The duration is in jorb time, so 1/3rd the displayed amount, and the values are flat. Early game you can't purify the ingredients properly to get a nice +30 when you want it. Late game they don't scale and the effort required to get 2minutes of +30 just isn't there.

I left feedback about alchemy endgame in the suggestions threads a little while back. Buffs need a rework to be relevant and I'd really like the alchemy endgame to feel like "researching and crafting elixirs". Right now I'd say it feels much more like herbalism, discovering and exploiting natural properties and that's about it.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Return to How do I?