How far to walk?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How far to walk?

Postby tiarali » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:36 pm

Ok. New character. I've gotten yeomanry, thinking I need to find a place to set up a permanent base. How far do I have to walk? I'm currently right at the place where my first hearth fire was placed.
tiarali

Re: How far to walk?

Postby WowGain » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:00 am

set up a basic shack there while you gather supplies and start assessing nearby areas for a more permanent settlement. Put up walls, but do not stay there permanently. Noob trap is getting attached to the place you spawned and wanting to force it to be a base even if its terrible.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby tiarali » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:21 am

So you don't have to go terribly far just to find a place that won't eventually be overpopulated?
tiarali

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:32 am

tiarali wrote:So you don't have to go terribly far just to find a place that won't eventually be overpopulated?

Some of those places may be abandoned. Sometimes you land in the middle of a busy region. That's the problem with random spawns. Might need 10-15 minutes away to make sure you're not near anyone major, might need to walk an hour or two.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby christoph » Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:18 pm

Hello everyone,
I also thought that you have to find a place for the installation of a permanent base. And then you have to walk around for about ten minutes and be careful. Thus, apply close protection in case of danger.
By the way, are there any other strategies to succeed ?
christoph

Postby Sephiron » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:27 pm

christoph wrote:Hello everyone,
I also thought that you have to find a place for the installation of a permanent base. And then you have to walk around for about ten minutes and be careful. Thus, apply close protection in case of danger.
By the way, are there any other strategies to succeed ?

So in the beginning of this world my friend and I claimed a small area near one of our hearthfires just to keep our crappy noob loot out of the hands of other noobs. It won't stop more advanced players from finding you and wrecking your shit, but the payout for that much effort usually isn't worth it. Plus, it's probably for the best if they nuke you right then and there before your claim/palisade/other goodies get in their way later and you lose actually decent loot from settling in the wrong place.

My advice is to make a claim at first but no palisade, and no buildings. spend at least a week there, and scope the area and play the game like you normally would. If the area is actively populated, go talk to your neighbors and see if they're friendly. If they're not, die and respawn somewhere else. If they are, or there are no active claims, then move to the next step (when you're ready). Find a place you wouldn't mind living in for a long time, with plenty of trees and maybe somewhat near a mountain/swamp or other valuable biome. Not in the biome, just maybe a 5 minute walk from one. Try to stay away from localized resources, but the more you have in a walking distance the better it is for you. And lastly, do not settle right off of water yet. If you need access to a river/lake/ocean, learn how to build milestones (for fast travel). If you've found an area like that, you can build a new claim on it and a palisade. You're going to have the best chances there, and since you'll be a little farther inland you can probably get to a level where you feel comfortable more easily, since most players won't have much reason to walk near or through your base. Also remember that if you don't pave anything or plant any grass you'll pretty much be invisible on the minimap.

Eventually you're going to outgrow that base, so when you're ready to build a snekkja or a knarr(ships), either claim an area off the water close to your 'end' milestone, or relocate onto the water. At this point you should have some metal, maybe a woodsman's axe, and building a palisade of fair size should take only a few hours
Sephiron

Postby telum12 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:15 pm

The fuck is that advice? Just build a pali.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby Sephiron » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:37 pm

telum12 wrote:The fuck is that advice? Just build a pali.

ok fine, sure, build a palisade to protect your birchbark kuksas and q10 chicken meat. So do you waste your time with everything or just video games?
Sephiron

Postby Stoneface » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:16 am

I would go at least a half hour walk in each cardinal direction and make sure to check any road signs and or runestones nearby for information as to where you are. Then I would locate yourself on the world map.
Stoneface

Postby tiarali » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:47 pm

Welp. Didn't walk far enough. Woke up to find a siege engine outside my little pally. Guess my neighbours aren't friendly. Nvm. I packed up the things I wanted to keep the most and started walking.
tiarali

Next

Return to How do I?