So how do I eat efficiently now?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: So how do I eat efficiently now?

Postby Apocoreo » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:44 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:Kindof off-topic, but raising fighter stats is not in any form a communal project. It's a personal vanity project that likely won't benefit your cohorts in any meaningful way. Expecting other people to contribute to that seems kinda unrealistic to me, to the point that even subscribing to the concept of dedicated cooks makes me assume you live in a hellscape. I've never really heard of a successful village where people making fighter chars didn't at least mostly feed themselves.

I have been interested in that way of running a village. Seems to work for the top players. Gotta wonder how much of that is supported by automation though. We have a lot of people that like farming and mining and shit like that. No silkfarmer's though, so the fighter's ended up getting the others silk, gold shit, and a few of them have troll belts in return for their forced labour.

it's kind of at the point thought. Various people are cooking, but we always cook in big batches and share, same with curio.

I think it's still on topic to a point, how food happens is a part of eating effectively.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Pommfritz » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:15 pm

The amount of effort that is required to feed one player is quite insane :D I have about 250 pepper crops right now and planned to make my pepper farm about 300 crops big initially but it looks like that's not enough to sustain me yet and on top of that there will be winter in about 60 ingame days, there is like 0 chance I'm going to have pepper from day 1 in winter :D that's big big rip. My only hope would be to make my farm like 5x and replant everything I harvest for 2 weeks in hopes to get 1-2 big pepper harvests in for winter but idk. should have worried about it a few weeks ago imo (I also don't have the space and a million other things to build lol)
Pommfritz

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:51 pm

If you aren't botting pepper, don't bother with it. It's not feasible for a human to do.
DDDsDD999

Postby Southpaw » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:47 pm

as someone who has perpetually danced the line of "tryhard" and "adequate village" 100% do not ever trust or rely on a "communal cook" if you're trying to actually pump stats in any way whatsoever, because if you aren't eating in INTENSE MODERATION (sometimes even below your energy requirements) you'll probably burn your cook out in less than a month. communal cook more or less would exist to rotate materials through storage, make energy food, buff village-critical roles in the earlier parts of the world, and then they ideally fizzle out to doing something else or quit.

your material intake should match your cooked food production, which you should directly try to match to your food intake. if your village stockpiles materials publicly, you should be basically undetectable when you're grinding stats. just find a tempo you can keep up with indefinitely.

do not bother with pepper unless you have a very coherent bot setup, it is laughable how much effort goes in to 1kg of pepper in a bad manual setup, compared to even the most rudimentary botted setup. if you absolutely insist on manually doing a luxury tedium food enhancer, truffles aren't the absolute worst thing to torture yourself with.

falling in to "powerfoods" philosophy is a mistake if you are not a powerplayer, you will never reasonably supply yourself with driftkelp, fairy shrooms, etc. your bread and butter will almost always be pork or double-spiced this double-spiced that, or some smoked sausages of certain varieties. alternatively, one whale (which also, dont bother if you dont at least have some means to automate the searching process) should last you a while, as an individual. do not make it a communal resource. if your whale intake is small pp, focus on the whale efficient recipes (ie stuffing-based or autumn steak)

if you have any vague interest in grinding stats, spam kill bears, spam kill canglers (arguably one of the most important creatures to have a good node for,) kill beavers, kill slimes, kill pelicans. early world tame as many fucking boars as you can for your animal person, until they're begging you to stop. lock down every individual spice and help your gardener get as many bulk pots up as possible. desperately rush a snekkja and knarr as quickly as you can that you can afford to devote to whale hunting. ignore orcas, they're basically worthless unless you're Snail or it's really early world.

worthwhile mentions from my personal experience:
hoard any drink you see. trade it among fellow feastbois.
but also, your fellow feastbois are not your allies and even if they're literally living in the same plot as you, they can and will eat your Gelatin.
ease of production will absolutely always trump results unless hunger is your bottleneck (which it shouldn't be by the time tables are 30-40% hunger)
do not get tunnel vision looking at stat aggregate websites, there are some nuances involved in every recipe. for instance, if you have a sick ass cauldron but a trash meat grinder, or shitty meat smokers, try to see if there are viable cauldron-influenced recipes for your stat. inversely, some recipes aren't worth trying to make your best of. quantity over quality rules for quite a few things, with cheese and baked goods being the biggest and easiest examples.
do not share your table with anyone that doesn't take stat gain as seriously as you do, you would be very surprised by the atrocities that happen at a communal table.
the absolute best time to take stat gain seriously is around the first or second player drop-off of the world, because you start to see less competition for localized resources and usually your industries are more fleshed out. i've seen some wild glow-ups of very special boys grinding up to 4k stats within the span of less than a month because they laid infrastructure like they were digging trenches in Verdun.
infrastructure >>>>>>>>> early effort in most cases

hope any of this helps some of you people who always hit the 400-1000 stat wall and get confused and lost.
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby mulamishne » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:26 pm

Southpaw wrote:worthwhile mentions from my personal experience:
hoard any drink you see. trade it among fellow feastbois.
but also, your fellow feastbois are not your allies and even if they're literally living in the same plot as you, they can and will eat your Gelatin.

My gelatin lives in a separate plot now, it's safer that way.
Haven and Hearth discord (by far the most popular, we even banned the Retards, Pedophiles and dumb Wiki-admins): https://discord.com/invite/rb3Ufnvwxf
mulamishne

Postby Pommfritz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:32 am

Southpaw wrote:x

very helpful post thx

Southpaw wrote:do not bother with pepper unless you have a very coherent bot setup, it is laughable how much effort goes in to 1kg of pepper in a bad manual setup, compared to even the most rudimentary botted setup. if you absolutely insist on manually doing a luxury tedium food enhancer, truffles aren't the absolute worst thing to torture yourself with.

There are defo some very simple but insanely tedious tasks that I wish I wouldn't do alone lol, like all the farming stuff.. But I probably need some programming coaching xD or play casually or quit the game but doing some "honest work" for your stats seems insane and makes you play 16h a day xD Idk why you would design a game like this do you not think about extremes before you implement something jorb and loftar? like litterally everything is very simple but tedious in this game and making bots mandatory.

Southpaw wrote:if you have any vague interest in grinding stats, spam kill bears, spam kill canglers (arguably one of the most important creatures to have a good node for,) kill beavers, kill slimes, kill pelicans

would be cool if you could help out with some recipes, I'm always searching the database but couldn't really find any great recipes for a lot of things you mentioned
what to do with cave angler meat? usually I just dry it and let my miner eat it but it's very spammy and makes my symble break so I don't have a lot of it. I found a lemon fish recipe once but it's not great once you progress a bit with stats (i'm at about 550 stats now and have a 10%/100% table)

bears, I use for str: meatpie with bear, barley, chicken egg, thyme/black pepper -> really good recipe
and for con: Jotun's Morsel with laurel but I can't eat a lot of that, I made a few chests recently but they satiate quite heavily so that they are sitting at 20-30% very fast. I can't see how I could eat a lot of them.
I never make BBB because lack of pigs xd and I got other decent str foods so that I can push con/agi ahead and easily fill up my str with egg&bacon (smoked boar with laurel and use laurel leaves as spice), mbc and meatpies.

beaver I get why, the sausage is really good. I used it for int only so far with cave lantern and smoked with laurel (but looks like there are some decent recipes with fairy mushroom for con, which I haven't used at all, have just been stockpiling fairy mushrooms and driftkelp so far).

slimes I guess for meat-in-jelly? lots of good stuff there, mainly I use it for grey seal with pepper for big agi2 but I have a few barrels gelatin from rescuring hide stockpiles form other settlements ^^

and I got big questionmarks for pelican, I realise people use packed pouch recipes a lot and bought it early world but I'm not sure if I have "outgrown" that already or how to use it efficiently, most recipes that I look up don't really hit the fep marks I'd need (about 60-80+ fep to get a stat up with my table while being a bit satiated)

generally like I said I have never looked at recipes with fairy mushrooms or driftkelp simply because I didn't need it but maybe it's about time? I feel like I can't spam feed myself anymore with half my foods so might need an fep boost here and there

those are my main foods for now depending on how things go with the food aquisation they net me like 20-30 stats a day and my will is falling off quite a bit rn not sure how you guys can get it to 1k+ without slowing down progress on str/agi/con a lot xd
https://i.gyazo.com/fa387190d2dda1ac728 ... bcbdf4.png

I think most of this will get me to 1k stats but always open for suggestions ofc (got 290 cauldron, 270 frying pan, 200 grinder, 190 smoker, can upgrade curding tubs to 190 or something) ^^ and I wonder when I should be ok with not getting a stat up per food piece? so far everything 1hits my fep bars

fuck this got quite long xD but I always appreciate to get some insight

next world I defo start with a village, doing this while hermiting is retarded lol but I just practise this world.
Pommfritz

Postby telum12 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:41 pm

Pommfritz wrote:snip

Put whale into your jelly for higher fep if/when you want. They're pita to grind unless you bot the spotting process.

I think it's important to consider these recipes and think to yourself, what can I make *easily*? A walrus Jotun's Morsel might sound nice (idk didn't check what it gives) but hunting walruses is insanely time-consuming and each piece of food will require 3 walrus meats. That's not a good place to put your time. Blubber is okay though, but specifically hunting for it is meh.

Doing semi-automated things to make things less aids is not too difficult, and does not involve the same level of involvement as a lot of "real" bots do. You can use a Python api to write scripts in Shubla's client (Purus Pasta 2) or the Java api end Ender's client
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby Apocoreo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:01 am

Southpaw wrote:-snip-

Huge appreciation for this post, sheds some light on higher level play. Weird considering you sort of described how we do curio now, no hard trades, but on dude makes X curio, another makes Y etc. Shame crafting is so boring and has to be done so constantly.

Southpaw wrote:i've seen some wild glow-ups of very special boys grinding up to 4k stats within the span of less than a month because they laid infrastructure like they were digging trenches in Verdun.
infrastructure >>>>>>>>> early effort in most cases

I'm most interested in this, because this is the results I'm hoping for. If the pvpers have 5k then 4k is well into that 2 form factor, that's one big step closer to rolling with the big bois. Could you elaborate on what kind of infrastructure?
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby Archiplex » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:55 pm

Southpaw wrote:as someone who has perpetually danced the line of "tryhard" and "adequate village" 100% do not ever trust or rely on a "communal cook" if you're trying to actually pump stats in any way whatsoever, because if you aren't eating in INTENSE MODERATION (sometimes even below your energy requirements) you'll probably burn your cook out in less than a month. communal cook more or less would exist to rotate materials through storage, make energy food, buff village-critical roles in the earlier parts of the world, and then they ideally fizzle out to doing something else or quit.

as someone who was a communal cook: yeah basically. its cute and all for a small village who don't know what they're doing, so you just research decent recipes and tell them what to do/gather, but you will quickly hit the point where each person is going to need an amount of each food type that even if they are supplying the requirements (not hard), you're going to sit there for most of your day watching a timer run down and spending an autistic amount of time organizing cb's so you can cook a few things at a time, cycle and repeat- and if people expect you to actually supply enough food for them every day to keep your satiations satisfied? lmao. lol.

food is best handled by yourself and for yourself, with a cook just cycling storage so things don't get too full (butchering also sucks dick)
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Pommfritz » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:42 pm

at 650stats things get dicy for me now ^^ I have to stop eating before I'm out of food because of satiations and the threshold for that becomes lower every time I feast since food q stays roughly similiar.
EXCEPT I eat something made from pork or shepherd pie (the feps are absolutely insane xd, I was sitting at 65% satiation yesterday after I ate through a lot of them and all good)
at this point I wish I made a massive pig farm (currently counting 4 xd ) but it legit took me at least a month to grow these fucks, I had a lot trouble taming because I was a noob, killed my first few when taming, then some just disappeared, it took me at least 10 boars to get 1 female and 1 male after that I couldn't do it anymore xD

but anyway got myself a sick frying pan, I guess i get going since now I'm more aware of how to build the right infrastructure so everything runs smooth
Pommfritz

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?