So how do I eat efficiently now?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

So how do I eat efficiently now?

Postby Apocoreo » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:03 pm

So after the last update people were praising it because, from what I gather, they were eating one of each food item they had, waiting 8 hours, then doing it again. From what I gather the wait was for the satiation to drop back down to 0% so it get 100% of the feps from the food. Let's not talk about how they did that, that discussion has been had elsewhere.

So now satiations rise and fall X3 faster. So, if your goal is to eat all your food at 100%, you should be eating 1 of each food item you have every 24 hours (8 * 3 = 24). I've been doing that, and noticed I get 2-6% satiations per item (ender client btw). One day, I ate before work and hopped back on the game 8 hours later to find my satiations gone.

So what's the deal? Are people really trying to keep their satiations at 100%? I know bigger groups will binge eat when food it plentiful to get a huge stat boost in a short time. At what level do people keep their hunger? It seems reasonable they would keep themselves as starved as possible to keep that fep bonus, eating salt to maintain their starvation.

please don't ask how my village was eating before
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Re: So how do I eat efficiently now?

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:17 pm

Nobody is trying to keep the satiations at 100%
You eat food to gain stats, but if your satiation goes down to 20% after eating 7 pieces, there's no point in eating the other 14 pieces any more before waiting for the satiation to go up again, which was obnoxious to do before they slowed it down.

I hope this answers whatever questions you had/have
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:44 pm

Choose an amount of food you want to make, and make that much. More is always better, but there are diminishing returns that get much worse the less frequently you feast.
Choose how often you want to feast, and eat (food amount/period of time between feasting) per period of time between feasting every feast. More regular feasting is always better, but there are diminishing returns. Ideally you just want a bot that eats 24/7 at a rate equal to the rate at which you're making food.

You're basically wasting your time if you're not using Q50+ truffles on everything, and I would say drinks are basically mandatory. I would often drink 70-80L of wine in a day. Eating outside of 300% hunger is retarded, never do that. If you're tryharding this late in the world you should be able to pepper practically everything and spam ancient roots since likely nobody is collecting them.

When deciding what foods to make in general you should be considering the effort:FEPs above everything else, including the effort required to get salt to negate its hunger, the drinks required to keep it from satiating you too much, and the XP/material cost of replacing symbel if it's a more spammy food. Don't forget to take into account the lessened FEPs you get per bite on average for more spammy foods EX: MBC vs. Musky Milben. Milben is drastically better than MBC in terms of FEP:Effort if you don't account for reduced intake from satiations, but functionally garbage when you do.

In my opinion, focusing mostly on a few very good foods will yield far better results than going for variety. Especially for people with low levels of automation using a large quantity of different foods seems drastically worse than eating purely things like Mpies/cheese. Although in the case of cheese keep in mind there literally isn't enough salt in the world for more than like 10 people to consume a lot of it in variety.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Pommfritz » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:39 pm

70l of wine is enough for like 1400 pieces of food, how do you eat that much and stay in 300% range? am I missing something?

and for which stat range is your advice? atm I'm at like 250-300 stats and still get 1 stat up from 1 piece of food so I can just spam until I'm out of food or dont get stat ups and wait for satiations to go down.
Pommfritz

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:05 pm

You kill hunger with salt, and satiations don't exist below 1k-1.5kish stats after day 3/4 of the world when you start whaling.

I think it says a lot of negative things about the current system that people who've been playing for multiple years don't know how to use it @jorb
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Pommfritz » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:41 pm

Not sure if I understand correctly 1-1.5k stats after 4 days? you mean total or like 1.5k str?
I was speaking of 250-300 max stats, for example my str,agi,con,will are between 250-300 each.

SnuggleSnail wrote:I think it says a lot of negative things about the current system that people who've been playing for multiple years don't know how to use it @jorb

if that's a reference to me, I've just created my acc a few years ago and played a bit and quit quickly and also played in w1 with a different acc xd but basically a break from then until like 2months ago. It takes very long to dig through everything in the game and understand it when you are "new"

but regarding food I think I get the basics right, I usually use salt if I don't get a stat up to go back to 300% or stop eating this food, got table with the best symble I can make and all drinks and a growing pepper farm :D my pigs are trash I hate taming and couldn't grab some from neighbours so they just started growing.

I was also not sure if I should go into 200%-150% range but this cleared up now.

SnuggleSnail wrote:and satiations don't exist below 1k-1.5kish stats

they mechanically don't exist or do you mean they just don't matter below 1.5k stats?

thx for advice and sry for semi hijacking your thread @op xd
Pommfritz

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:06 pm

Satiations don't matter below 1k-1.5k because the food you should be eating gives so many FEPs that it would require a ridiculous amount of automation for the time-gating to be the bottleneck rather than the resource gathering.

In all likelihood this advice doesn't apply to you because you're wasting your time on one of the literally millions of red herring trash foods that exist for no reason, and doesn't give enough FEPs to really be useful in any situation ever.
SnuggleSnail

Postby Pommfritz » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:28 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:In all likelihood this advice doesn't apply to you because you're wasting your time on one of the literally millions of red herring trash foods that exist for no reason, and doesn't give enough FEPs to really be useful in any situation ever.

possible xd but I do a lot of research before cooking, research becomes faster the more I do it but I get suprised sometimes how good some foods are :D pepper gud

I think it's retarded we need to sort through thousands of possible recipes to not accidentally cook the wrong stuff ...
Pommfritz

Postby Apocoreo » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:37 pm

Thank you all for responding, my objective was to get a perspective on what high-level play is like for the food industry and I got that.

I think I want to give some perspective on what eating is like as a mid-level player. We've started making our own bots but it's slow going. To give you some context for that, I'm around 500 base stats right now, had some setbacks this world, was just under 2000 by the end of last world.

Finding good recipes is actually easy for us, thanks to a third party site I will link below. The real issue is all the best recipes use pepper, truffles, driftkelp, and fucking troll parts. The difficulty is finding food that is easy to mass-produce. We often supplement with easily made, shit-tier food, mostly eaten to fill out almost-complete fep bars.

https://hnhfood.vatsul.com/

Late world, your pepper guy usually quits of boredom and you're not making it at all. Yeah, I know, that's really bad, but it gets worse. Truffles are annoying to get, as you have to drag along a pig. Usually only people capable of fighting animals do it, which trust me, is WAY LESS of the active population than you'd hope. Most people that go outside end up dying and quitting anyway. Dedicated cooks quit early too, we've been through about 3.5 dedicated cooks this world. Cooks are under a lot of pressure to do a very, very tedious task that requires much teamwork.

On the bright side, drinks usually come quicker, as they're easy to make en masse or take from dead plots. Buuut I've seen literally no one with every drink in the game. I usually drank till 20... whatever the number that comes up in Drink and Be Merry is. Salt is common too, as late game we don't have enough food to get our hunger bars full, so we usually try to sell it. Early game, salt is harder to get, and usually only the miners care.

How curious that hemp hasn't been mentioned so far. It's fairly easy to get, often I forget about it during our many times of famine due to the difficulty of feeding a big village. I use it religiously early world though.

Also, a lot of people just don't use hemp and drinks because they're a fucking boring mechanic. Especially the whole receptacle thing. Like you have to wait and watch your character do shit before you can get to the dopamine-inducing jingles of your character leveling up. Fuck Hookahs.

SnuggleSnail wrote:I think it says a lot of negative things about the current system that people who've been playing for multiple years don't know how to use it @jorb

Big this. W3 player btw.

Some info not available in game: results of variable material on food (without experimentation and third party records), what foods count as what ingredients, amount of satiations gained from eating an item, how much to drink, what receptacle to use for some drinks, how much hemp to smoke. Eating truly "efficiently" seems an art form, even at high level of automation it seems no one's making 1 of every food item in the game.

Tbh I miss the w11 system where ever food had a few satiation groups. At least I could just pick a favorite food in eat category and eat less. However, I understand that was not a popular system and I was not cooking at that time.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:39 am

Kindof off-topic, but raising fighter stats is not in any form a communal project. It's a personal vanity project that likely won't benefit your cohorts in any meaningful way. Expecting other people to contribute to that seems kinda unrealistic to me, to the point that even subscribing to the concept of dedicated cooks makes me assume you live in a hellscape. I've never really heard of a successful village where people making fighter chars didn't at least mostly feed themselves.
SnuggleSnail

Next

Return to How do I?