How do I hunt whales and mammoths solo?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How do I hunt whales and mammoths solo?

Postby Pommfritz » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:33 am

Yo so I have seen a few videos etc but some things are not so clear yet.
for whales:
Do I need a Knarr to pull them on land or can I also do it with a Snekkja?
Do they only spawn in very deep ocean?
I guess it would be cool if someone could wirte a few lines how to fight them but from a video I saw form JordanColes I think it looked like they were just cheesable (Orcas) like everything else? and I think the hardest part is getting them to an Island and to not get your boat wrecked? (wanna kill Cachalot mostly, not orcas who are in groups)
what about the horse bs, I basically have to bring a horse via an alt to the island before I kill them to drag them on land or drag them all the way to the coast? How is that intended to play out, I think you can't put horses on a boat so alting is required?

for mammoths: I've seen a bunch of mammoth traps on mountains but the wiki says that all old strats don't work so I assume that's an old strat and doesn't work? what works? and I also couldn't find a video of a fight solo vs a mammoth. someone pls explain and don't forget to mention stats as this might be an issue here and there xd

thanks
Pommfritz

Re: How do I hunt whales and mammoths solo?

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:22 pm

Use a Knarr to bring them to land, only spawn in deeper ocean. Just cheese them like every other animal, except instead of from a boat, you do it from land. To tow them onto land once they're dead you can use a Knarr but it's completely terrible and barely works. Horse makes towing way easier.

For mammoths, wiki is wrong. Just always assume wiki is wrong, it usually is

For stats the only thing that really matters is str and weapon to go above armor. Whales are probably killable with like 100 str and q100 weapons if you're very patient
DDDsDD999

Postby Pommfritz » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:05 pm

cool thx! guess I'll build a mammoth trap then until I got my knarr ready :P
Pommfritz

Postby Southpaw » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:05 am

you need very well beyond upwards of 2k stats to even consider fighting a mammoth outside of the trap cheese because they have Very Fun attacks that hit all 4 colors simultaneously, with their IP moves being heavy yellow-red(?) and other dumb colors. they're also faster than sprint speed and can rawhide your horse if you try to kite that way, so you either cave them or pali them to death.
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby Pommfritz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:41 am

yea so far I was too busy otherwise to make a mammoth trap so I tried to use a cave yesterday but it didn't seem like I was able to clear openings fast enough, it would always deaggro so I couldn't build up some IP for cleave xd and was generally just too risky, lost like 100 shp while not really getting anywhere
Pommfritz

Postby Southpaw » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:00 am

Pommfritz wrote:so I couldn't build up some IP for cleave

never use an ip move for any cheese, usually, between constantly reaggroing something or losing aggro you're playing a losing game most of the time.
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby vatas » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:34 pm

We successfully used a trap like this in current world (w13).

Red: Palisade wall.
Blue: Palisade gate.
Black: Mammoth.
Yellow: Trunk Gunk danger zone.
Green: Approximate locations of safespots where to poke with spear.

Have smaller gate closed, bigger one open, expendable alt outside. Lure mammoth into position. Use expendable alt to close the gate behind mammoth.

I ended up building a log cabin inside the larger free space to help temporarily store the meat, but someone failed to properly trap mammoth and tried hiding inside...
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Pommfritz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:08 pm

thanks that helps a lot guys :D
Pommfritz

Postby pawnchito » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:37 pm

Damn this post is awesome. Usually this info is pretty gatekept. On a side note, our merry band of sprucecaps tried to handle a mammoth fair and square several weeks ago and we werent even able to slightly annoy the thing. Pretty fun experience though.
pawnchito

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:56 pm

pawnchito wrote:Damn this post is awesome. Usually this info is pretty gatekept.

la cosa nostra
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Next

Return to How do I?