How do I hunt whales and mammoths solo?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: How do I hunt whales and mammoths solo?

Postby Pommfritz » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:04 pm

Do whales despawn like other smaller animals?
I managed to get my hands on a few boats during winter ^^ so I took the q100 Knarr and sent my miner scouting while waiting for mammoth respawns (miner and main on same acc... ) Actually found a whale quite quickly but it was pretty far out, decided to aggro it anyway and drive to some island, unfortunately it was faster than the Knarr xD and I also found out it can destroy Knarrs xD So I basically made it to the Island, without the Knarr. The whale deaggroed after destroying it and I relogged and Sailed over there with my Snekkja but couldn't find the whale anywhere. Just unlucky or do they despawn? And what quality Knarr would I need to build to outrun whales in very deep ocean? I'm trying to build a q250 Knarr but it will take a few more tree itterations to build, thinking of making a lower q throwaway Knarr for 2 weeks or something, obv higher than q100 xd

I observed that mammoths for example have varying speeds, some are slow af and some outrun horse speed 3. So maybe the answer is not that clear but any tips on how to not lose the Knarr would be appreciated xd
Pommfritz

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:20 pm

Pommfritz wrote:Do whales despawn like other smaller animals?

yes
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby DoctorCookie » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:20 pm

They vary in speed and can outrun any knarr. You need an island in mind, and close enough.
DoctorCookie

Postby Pommfritz » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:34 pm

Ok rip I noticed the Knarr damage kind of related to how high my openings were but no idea if that is true.

I guess I will need to make a dedicated whaler then/ make my miner a figther or go hunt with my main if they despawn :S
Pommfritz

Postby Southpaw » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:46 pm

Pommfritz wrote:Ok rip I noticed the Knarr damage kind of related to how high my openings were but no idea if that is true.

not true, to my knowledge, the boat damage moves are related to an IP move they use. if you were panic spamming zigzag, artful, etc, you sabotaged your boat.

if that is true, though, its still largely negligible as long as you avoid shoveling IP in to them, unless you're pulling far-too-far.
Pommfritz wrote:I guess I will need to make a dedicated whaler then/ make my miner a figther or go hunt with my main if they despawn :S

this is why having most of your village quit on you by this point of the world is good, you get a bunch of half baked fighters to do goofy shit with :lol:
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby Pommfritz » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:53 pm

Haha yea unfortunately I'm not in this position xD

I just rage built a knarr yesterday because I killed an Orca when I was on the way to something and they can't swim into shallow water, and therefore the horse can't pull it out of deep water I guess... took some decent trees and whatever trash I looted and made a q160 Knarr to get the orca. It didn't damage my snekkja btw but later on I found a whale and yes it still damaged the knarr although it barely opened me. When I was pulling the other whale with my miner I remember that at the end it did really high damage in one hit to the knarr that got destroyed from like 50% to 10-20% or something that's why I thought it would relate to it. had like 50%+ openings at that time ^^

I guess I can test a bit if I find another one. I tried figthing the whale from yesterday from my knarr next to an Island to test but they damage it quite quickly so I jumped out and killed it form the shore 48k hp btw lmao

Finding them is quite difficult tho because the render distance is very small. the first 2 whales I basically just found because they triggered an exp event and then I boated around for a few minutes to actually find them.. I think the distance at which exp events are triggered is a lot bigger than render distance. so I thought maybe it's worth to take a fresh alt with me on the boat because they should always trigger it the first time. Or complain about the render distance to Jorbtar xd

Also the other day I pulled a mammoth to my trap but it almost ran on horse speed 4 or something xD My horse was on 50% stammina so it completely fucked me up. That speed variance lmao, I thought I'd die there but I somehow survived jumping down a massive cliff that the mammoth couldn't run around
Pommfritz

Previous

Return to How do I?