What do I do?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

What do I do?

Postby Snowl » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:11 am

I tried to play this today and when I hit the "Play" button it wants to "Save as jar file" and I don't have that. My computer is brand new so I don't understand what I have to do. I'm not very good with the guts of computers. I just want to download a game and play.
Snowl

Re: What do I do?

Postby WowGain » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:13 am

Snowl wrote:I tried to play this today and when I hit the "Play" button it wants to "Save as jar file" and I don't have that. My computer is brand new so I don't understand what I have to do. I'm not very good with the guts of computers. I just want to download a game and play.

Make sure you have Java installed, jar files require java to run
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby pawnchito » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:14 am

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331

Download java from that thread. Then you will be able to hit the play button.
pawnchito

Postby vatas » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:45 am

I've personally had to open default client by opening the downloaded file. It used to be that Play-button would simply open the client directly, but support for this was removed from Java for security reasons(?) JNLP is a replacement for it and quick Google search indicates that the step of having to download the file is normal.

Download the file, try open it. If nothing happens, 1) Check that you have Java installed 2) Check that the Windows is trying to open it using Java.

Also, there is a recent system where the downloaded JNLP file is not only named after your account name but contains some authentication data, so don't go sharing that file around unless you want to specifically share your account with someone (intention behind the whole thing it to enable this without giving out your password.) I don't think the system is fully functional at this point.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Return to How do I?