Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong)

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong)

Postby Dakkan » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:57 am

Don't let this happen to your pclaim!

TL;DR
Build a pclaim and COMPLETE wall, asap.
Your walls should be entirely covered by your claim.
It should be impossible to enter your claim without passing through a “Visitor Gate.”
Put locks on your gates.
Don’t go outside with your master key.
Extend your pclaim/village claim multiple tiles beyond your wall.
Understand at least vaguely how the “Visitor” debuff works.
Everyone wants to kill you.
Be polite to people on the Forums and Discord.
Don’t stream.
Don't tell people your coords.

You need to read the rest of the post now, these silly simple things are much more complex than you understand, you are still gonna die.

This is a very basic list of things you, the hypothetical ultimate sprucecap reading this, are doing right now that will cost you your claim and your LIFE.

If you aren’t a sprucecap, imagine how embarrassing it would be if you did something on this list?! Better read it just in case.

Things in bold are so embarrassing that you will be mocked for doing them. Explanations will be sparse and left as an exercise to the reader to figure out why.

Figure 0: These buttons allow you to see personal claims and village claims. Important!

1. Until you have a wall and claim, you are not safe. Everything in your little trash heap is at risk of being stolen/bashed. This includes you.
FENCES ARE NOT A WALL. STOCKPILES ARE NOT A WALL. NON-WALL THINGS ARE NOT A WALL. They will be bashed, and now your non-wall has a big inviting hole in it. Only a palisade or brickwall work. They need to be covered by your claim.
Figure 1: A lot of beginner effort, moments from destruction. make a real damn wall. AND COVER ALL OF IT WITH A CLAIM.

2. Your walls should be entirely covered by your claim.
Figure 2: How many wrong things can you identify with this? This image belongs under multiple entries in this list. There were no survivors.

3. It should be impossible to enter your claim without passing through a “Visitor Gate.” You can design airlocks however you want, but all paths into your village should go through at least one visitor gate.

4. Put locks on your gates. Especially if you decided to use normal gates like a FOOL. This is shockingly common. If you do this, you might as well not build the damn wall! Palisade locks (currently) cannot be picked, so just use some wooden garbage locks.
Figure 3: Crimes of convenience.

5. Don’t go outside with your master key. Leave it inside your claim always. Make a wilderness beacon, summon a spare character, and store the master key on them.
Figure 4: Don't let criminal scum get your master keys!

6. Don’t wait several months (and ignore urgent warnings of nice neighbors) to build your walls. An ugly claim and palisade are your first priority. I can’t believe I have to say this.

7. Extend your pclaim/village claim multiple tiles beyond your wall. A reasonable distance. You want to have land claimed around the outside of your hovel for multiple reasons. DO THIS. DON’T ARGUE.

8. Understand at least vaguely how the “Visitor” debuff works. If you have a cave inside your village, have it isolated with REAL WALLS and a VISITOR GATE. “Help, someone used a bug to break into my village”. No, they just walked right in from a nearby cave, through your cave. For homework I’ll let you consider how this applies to mineshafts as well.
A tale as old as time.

9.Everyone wants to kill you. Nationality is irrelevant. Nothing wrong with trying to have relations with your neighbors but if some absolute stranger runs up to your walls and is being nice, why would you trust them? Stop it! Stop dying like this!

10. Be polite to folks. People get bored, and turning your claim into a claim’t could be a fun weekend. This goes double for talking on the forum. If you say something dumb/irritating enough, people will find you based on the variable materials of your cistern and the width of a gate. I know where your shithole is.

11. Don’t stream on a character you care about, or in a location you don’t want attention drawn to. You will die very soon, and the last several hours will have been wasted as far as progression goes. People love to ignore this rule on purpose, even after being warned, it’s so fun. "It won't happen to ME." And you know what? You're right! Go ahead and stream on your main character! I'm sure no one will show up.

12. Don't reveal your coords or any other relevant location information such as Thingwalls. Ever! You really think you can withstand the obsessed boredom of Haven players? Eventually folks get bored, and wrecking your claim could be a fun weekend.

This list is hilariously incomplete, by doing these things you are meeting the bare minimum. Be paranoid against your own claim, look at other’s villages and learn about advanced techniques. All opinions presented here try to err on the side of caution, and assume generic conditions.

More advanced security issues next time? Give away ALL the big boi secrets, maybe?! How to siege Jorb's claim even?!
Last edited by Dakkan on Mon May 16, 2022 3:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dakkan

Re: Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong)

Postby Arbys » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:58 am

Placeholder for more advanced issues and product placement.
Deeper explanation of 1-11

Airlocks, function and design

Mineshafts, what the fuck are you doing, look up

Permissions, see "Mineshafts"

Internal fence gates, purposes and concerns

Claims and Inflicting attrition

Your mother, and how I satisfy her

Special market issues
Last edited by Arbys on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Arbys

Postby telum12 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:10 am

"More false info probably"

- Dakkan, 2022
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby TheServant » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:51 am

I'm a sprucecap, but i'm surely double pali'd™! You could add airlocks to escape from combat near you spot and also fence in vgate so you can just make it open all times
TheServant

Postby Arbys » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:01 am

TheServant wrote:I'm a sprucecap, but i'm surely double pali'd™! You could add airlocks to escape from combat near you spot and also fence in vgate so you can just make it open all times

From your description I know how to assassinate people in your village! Time for the... triple palisade™?
Arbys

Postby vatas » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:20 am

This page in the wiki now links to this topic, at least.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:32 am

Dakkan how many forum accounts do you even have smh
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Fostik » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:58 am

Dakkan wrote:7. Extend your pclaim/village claim multiple tiles beyond your wall. A reasonable distance. You want to have land claimed around the outside of your hovel for multiple reasons. DO THIS. DON’T ARGUE.

To be fair, not doing this is usually main reason of raid most of yet-no-bigboi-but-no-noob bases in midgame, this should be explained IMO.
There is two possible scenarios of what can happen when your claim does not cover land beyond wall:

1. Build a corner palisade close to any your corner and destroy it.
As you may know, palisade receives it's soak value over time, up to ~2 IRL days. It is also the fact, that palisade cascade damage(domino effect when one segment being destroyed also damages segments next to it) does not spread between different soak segments. And the last mechanic that will be used here is ability to destroy palisade walls not covered with claims without siege engines or anything.
As you may already suspect scenario will develop next way:
- Some dude builds new palisade corner or palisade segment to your, and it is not claimed.
- Wait 2 days for it to dry, and receive same soak as your wall
- Destroy unclaimed palisade segment, cascade damage will have a big chance to destroy your palisade as well
- Boom, you have a hole in your base
Note that you will not be noted that your palisade is being destroyed, there is no siege engines used.

2. Use "Prepare for gate" on your palisade if it's not sealed, and build bunker or any other structure that may lock/being used for siege/harm in any other way for your base.

Also my personal advise as addition, make your god damn base modular, just one hole and entire football field looking base is fucked up. A single point of failure breaks 100% of your efforts, do diversification of risks!
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby vatas » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:37 pm

Other thing is that people can drop Wrecking Balls without any scents if claim ends at the wall.

One tile outwards from the wall should be enough for most cases described in this thread so far, but extending further prevents people from building siege bases right next to you.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby fairystyle » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:29 pm

Great guide!
fairystyle

Next

Return to How do I?