Questions about Combat and Taming

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Questions about Combat and Taming

Postby Zorgal » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:53 am

Howdy!
So it's been about a decade since I played last, managed to fiddle my way back into the game mostly via the well-kept wiki (Thanks for that btw, to whom it may concern).

There are a few things still a bit weird to me:

- Been hunting some mostly small game, thanks to getting a decent weapon from abandoned places. So most "fights" I win by the thing I'm fighting usually being dead before it really gets to hurt me. I tried experimenting a bit after raising my ua and agility and fist fighting ants at different stages. The confusing part is mostly that it doesn't really feel like I'm getting better at defending against them, but more that they just die faster. Is the general idea behind the combat that you just kill stuff before it hurts you, neglecting defenses? Or am I just expecting too much from jumping between UA 10 and UA 30? For the slower enemies this works fine, I can just run away from boars and such while lowering my openings. But part of me is wondering how you'd fight something "fairly" when neither side is running away.

- Related to this: How do you go about hunting ideally? I've had trouble actually catching foxes and badgers once they start running away. Sometimes I can just barely keep up with them on speed 3, other times they outrun even that, meaning I can only catch them on any terrain that lets me sprint. It used to be that you could trap animals, I've tried doing so on cliff U-Turns and small islands, but they seem to break log and such as well now. The bloodstains seem to imply you are meant to track them down, but it seems to be somewhat random if and when an animal will stop running away. I ironically have a way easier time killing boars over foxes/badgers simply because they don't run quite as fast.

- FInally for taming. As animals seem to break through a lot of stuff now, I assume some of the older tech I remember does not work anymore. I vaguely remember that you could encircle horses and such in a ring of rocks and play keep-away during the taming process. Since that most likely won't work anymore: What stats / equipment would I roughly need to tame myself a horse? Also, is there still a risk that using a high q weapon kills them before they submit during taming?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.
Zorgal

Re: Questions about Combat and Taming

Postby MadNomad » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:55 am

devs made it so animals destroy liftable rocks in their path now, because they want the game to be as annoying as possible

I don't remember exact stats to tank animals but if you just began playing and dont have stats to just tank the animal, attack it from water, you can use UA or MM for this, up to you,
of course be careful not to do too powerful hit when it's close to running out of HP if you want to tame it

in general, if you build some boat, or better, a snekkja and take an animal to a large area of shallow water you can easily hunt it down from deep water

but perhaps you should also consider getting good quality weapon from someone
Last edited by MadNomad on Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadNomad

Postby vatas » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:59 am

Haven't tested this in practice, but one way to circumvent animal bashing would be to tame in an area covered by pclaim and make sure none of the characters taming have vandalism permissions, this supposedly prevents them from breaking anything, as an anti-griefing measure.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MadNomad » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:01 pm

vatas wrote:Haven't tested this in practice, but one way to circumvent animal bashing would be to tame in an area covered by pclaim and make sure none of the characters taming have vandalism permissions, this supposedly prevents them from breaking anything, as an anti-griefing measure.

having to log into claim holder and switch permissions every time is annoying (if this even works)
MadNomad

Postby Zorgal » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:13 pm

MadNomad wrote:devs made it so animals destroy liftable rocks in their path now, because they want the game to be as annoying as possible

I don't remember exact stats to tank animals but if you just began playing and dont have stats to just tank the animal, attack it from water, you can use UA or MM for this, up to you,
of course be careful not to do too powerful hit when it's close to running out of HP if you want to tame it

in general, if you build some boat, or better, a snekkja and take an animal to a large area of shallow water you can easily hunt it down from deep water

but perhaps you should also consider getting good quality weapon from someone

Thank you for the response! I have a pretty sizeable area of shallow water not too far from my base. But since you have to tame repeatably, would you have to hitch the animal close to the water you want to fight it from? I have a hirdsword (Or whatever they are called) at around quality 50, if that helps.
Zorgal

Postby MadNomad » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:30 pm

Zorgal wrote:would you have to hitch the animal close to the water you want to fight it from?

that would indeed be a good idea if you expect the animal to do a lot of damage quickly, depends on your ability to tank/outrun I think, but in this case I'd also recommend building a palisade to surround your hitching posts so noone griefs your taming progress

Zorgal wrote:I have a hirdsword (Or whatever they are called) at around quality 50, if that helps.

that's enough for all of the animals, but for some stronger ones hunting will be quite slow and you will need to make significantly bigger openings (getting them to 80% or 90% or more is a good idea for the strongest ones, oppotunity knocks is a key move for achieving those openings)

of course do not make the opening too high if you want to tame and avoid killing the animal

however getting some q200/300/400 weapon would help a lot to save the time
Last edited by MadNomad on Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadNomad

Postby Zorgal » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:41 pm

MadNomad wrote:
Zorgal wrote:would you have to hitch the animal close to the water you want to fight it from?

that would indeed be a good idea if you expect the animal to do a lot of damage quickly, depends on your ability to tank/outrun I think

Zorgal wrote:I have a hirdsword (Or whatever they are called) at around quality 50, if that helps.

that's enough for all of the animals, but for some stronger ones hunting will be quite slow and you will need to make significantly bigger openings (getting them to 80% or 90% or more is a good idea for the strongest ones, oppotunity knocks is a key move for achieving those openings)

of course do not make the opening too high if you want to tame and avoid killing the animal

however getting some q200 weapon would help a lot

I'll probably just try it out then, worst case I can run inside my house and reset. For taming specifically: Can you do smaller damage over time or does it need to be one big hit? I do not have opportunity knocks yet. I've basically just been sideswiping or low blow -> sting most enemies, and not sure that will even work for taming.
Zorgal

Postby MadNomad » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:46 pm

Zorgal wrote:For taming specifically: Can you do smaller damage over time or does it need to be one big hit?

hard to say, from my perspective it seems like de-aggro depends on how effectively the hunter has damaged the animal and vice versa, I'd recommed trying to get it high enough to scare it away, but low enough not to kill it, I remember taming a horse with archery at beggining of this world and it resulted in 6 roughly 50hp hits at the qualities I had back then and the animal dropped aggro in this case

also don't forget to peace out the aggrod animal if the purpose is to tame it, otherwise it won't get taming progress

Zorgal wrote:I do not have opportunity knocks yet.

this is specifically for bears/mooses/mammoths/trolls/orcas/whales/chasm conches/lynxes anyway, use whatever you have been using for boars

because they have this green hp that you can't overcome if the opening or weapon quality/strength is not high enough, but also to save time if the animal has a lot of HP, for lynxes because they run like crazy so it's a good idea to kill them with one/two hit/s

paradoxically, bears could in some specific cases be more annoying than mammoths, because unlike mammoths they like to decrease openings with restorations, but for mammoths you need palisade trap and a horse close enough and/or good enough to get to the trap before the mammoth gets to you
Last edited by MadNomad on Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadNomad

Postby Darruin » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:16 pm

Yeah, you can do too much damage. Consider using a low q sling or something.
Darruin

Postby Halbertz » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:34 pm

Zorgal wrote:Howdy!
So it's been about a decade since I played last, managed to fiddle my way back into the game mostly via the well-kept wiki (Thanks for that btw, to whom it may concern).

There are a few things still a bit weird to me:

- Been hunting some mostly small game, thanks to getting a decent weapon from abandoned places. So most "fights" I win by the thing I'm fighting usually being dead before it really gets to hurt me. I tried experimenting a bit after raising my ua and agility and fist fighting ants at different stages. The confusing part is mostly that it doesn't really feel like I'm getting better at defending against them, but more that they just die faster. Is the general idea behind the combat that you just kill stuff before it hurts you, neglecting defenses? Or am I just expecting too much from jumping between UA 10 and UA 30? For the slower enemies this works fine, I can just run away from boars and such while lowering my openings. But part of me is wondering how you'd fight something "fairly" when neither side is running away.

- Related to this: How do you go about hunting ideally? I've had trouble actually catching foxes and badgers once they start running away. Sometimes I can just barely keep up with them on speed 3, other times they outrun even that, meaning I can only catch them on any terrain that lets me sprint. It used to be that you could trap animals, I've tried doing so on cliff U-Turns and small islands, but they seem to break log and such as well now. The bloodstains seem to imply you are meant to track them down, but it seems to be somewhat random if and when an animal will stop running away. I ironically have a way easier time killing boars over foxes/badgers simply because they don't run quite as fast.

- FInally for taming. As animals seem to break through a lot of stuff now, I assume some of the older tech I remember does not work anymore. I vaguely remember that you could encircle horses and such in a ring of rocks and play keep-away during the taming process. Since that most likely won't work anymore: What stats / equipment would I roughly need to tame myself a horse? Also, is there still a risk that using a high q weapon kills them before they submit during taming?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.

1) Yeah difference no really noticeable. Especially on low wight stances. You could try melee and shield stance for begging - you wont open much with it, but your defense weight will be heavier for sure.
2)Ideally you should one shot animals. But this requires b12 and a bit str. So just swim around, agro animals, lower their openings with melee (you can outrange animals with melee moves, coz they use ua for their moves), and hit them. If animals flee - drop combat and agro them again (few times if they still running away). You could also block their retreat with your boat and push full circles in furry arses.
3) There is already post about vandal tricks, but you could do it fairly (just use shield and any armor (more armor - better)). Bronze sword, leather (or better) cuirass and shield, and you will be okay. Problem not to overkill something like mouflon, coz they aren't really buff in terms of health points. So just dont press cleave in 100 100, with good sword you could just barrage it till ready.
Halbertz

Next

Return to How do I?