Questions about Combat and Taming

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Questions about Combat and Taming

Postby axus » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:05 pm

Ants dont really care about defense. You should be good for fox, badger, mouflon, bat. A wooden shield helps with those.
axus

Postby Zorgal » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:04 am

A quick update on this: Thanks for all the input. I have two horses at 85% and 65% respectively now, although I'm almost certain I could not have done it without having found a hirdsword from an abandoned village. I assume without it I would've had to level UA and/or MC to much higher.

I've tried some ranged options (Finding a literal free sword might not be a thing next world after all) but in both cases the Aurochs / Mouflon died to the shots without peacing, and I took quite a beating in return. Probably gonna rope some more horses into my base and try to figure out how much ua/mc you need with a wooden shield to successfully beat a horse into submission without the benefit of a metal weapon. I'm getting the impression I've attempted this whole taming thing a lot earlier than you normally should.
Zorgal

Postby MadNomad » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:22 am

Zorgal wrote:I could not have done it without having found a hirdsword from an abandoned village.

no, for taming any garbage weapon will do, or even just punching if the animal is not boar

I was talking about good weapon specifically for animals that have a lot of hitpoints and green hitpoints, to hunt those down and do it fast

Zorgal wrote:in both cases the Aurochs / Mouflon died to the shots without peacing,

so use punch instead
Last edited by MadNomad on Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
MadNomad

Postby DonVelD » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:24 am

Zorgal wrote:
A quick update on this: Thanks for all the input. I have two horses at 85% and 65% respectively now, although I'm almost certain I could not have done it without having found a hirdsword from an abandoned village. I assume without it I would've had to level UA and/or MC to much higher.

I've tried some ranged options (Finding a literal free sword might not be a thing next world after all) but in both cases the Aurochs / Mouflon died to the shots without peacing, and I took quite a beating in return. Probably gonna rope some more horses into my base and try to figure out how much ua/mc you need with a wooden shield to successfully beat a horse into submission without the benefit of a metal weapon. I'm getting the impression I've attempted this whole taming thing a lot earlier than you normally should.

You won't get a hirdsman sword early world, but people usually start taming when they first get bronze armor and preferably a weapon but it isn't needed (but still, you have metal at this point). A good method for taming is to just have 2 people taming, one has the armor, a shield, a bit of MC and just tanks the animal and defends. The other just beats it until its done. So getting a friend could be a good solution for that. About the ranged options do note that you could've just had too high quality bow/arrows - i assume you used that. A 10q sling could be the best for taming mouflons though using ranged probably still would be better while having a friend to help you out.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Previous

Return to How do I?