Sound cutting out constantly.

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Sound cutting out constantly.

Postby dook_buckenburger » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:19 am

I'm sorry if this is solved in the forum already, but, when i log in the game sound plays for 4 seconds, and everything cuts out, then it starts again, very regularly. Is there some other version of java I need or a setting I missed, please?

reinstalling the game,, the last I played it was 2010 O.O
The probability of anyone watching you do something is in direct proportion to the stupidity of what you are doing
dook_buckenburger

Re: Sound cutting out constantly.

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:29 am

It's not solved.

It will never be solved.

It's been there since the beginning.

It's not caused by you, your setup, or the java version.

The solution has also been there since the beginning, but loftar refuses to do it.

It's such a simple tweak, that can be done in the base code, and fix it forever, without any consequences.

The workaround is so retarded, tedious, annoying, to the extent of which every custom client just does it, and there is no downside.

People are asking about it every year, every few months, different people, almost every player thus far.

But he won't do it, so you have to use a command every time you open the game.

Use the :audiobuf 4096 or :audiobuf 8192 command.

Every. time. you. open. the. client.

It doesn't get saved.

It's stupid.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby pawnchito » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:27 am

Pretty banan this is still a problem tbh,

Nightdawg wrote:Use the :audiobuf 4096 or :audiobuf 8192 command.

Every. time. you. open. the. client.

It doesn't get saved.

It's stupid.
pawnchito

Postby DonVelD » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:56 am

The most convenient way you can "fix" it is to use a custom client, which is recommended either way.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby pawnchito » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:40 pm

DonVelD wrote:The most convenient way you can * play the game * is to use a custom client, which is recommended either way.

FTFY.
pawnchito

Postby vatas » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:25 pm

To clarify, default value of "audiobuf" is 1024 and the reason you might not want to just slam 8192 and why Loftar insists not increasing the default value, is that it increases the delay between intended and actual start of the audiofile playing.

Try :audiobuf 2048 first and if the problem persists, try the larger values. Not sure if they have to be super specific, but having them be a 8-bit based integer or whatever might make it so much easier for the computer to process it.

Loftar's reasoning to no increase the default value is: on his machine, values as low as 128 worked fine which obviously means that 1024 is completely sufficient and everybody having the problem is fake news, any compromise such as having a slider or drop down menu for larger value (that is saved after client is closed), is unnecessary /s
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Mashadar » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:57 pm

I think why loftar doesn't perceive it as a problem is because he uses Linux where this doesn't usually happen. I've never had any sound issues either.
But when I run Haven on Windows on the same machine, I get crackling sound, so 1024 is really a bad default value for Windows.
Mashadar

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:31 pm

Mashadar wrote:I think why loftar doesn't perceive it as a problem is because he uses Linux where this doesn't usually happen. I've never had any sound issues either.
But when I run Haven on Windows on the same machine, I get crackling sound, so 1024 is really a bad default value for Windows.

Why fix an issue 98% of the playerbase has if I don't have it? I know the fix won't break anything at all, but why do it? Other people's problems aren't really problems if I don't give a fuck about them. Buy gold subs btw.
Nightdawg

Postby Mashadar » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:44 pm

Nightdawg wrote:Why fix an issue 98% of the playerbase has if I don't have it? I know the fix won't break anything at all, but why do it? Other people's problems aren't really problems if I don't give a fuck about them. Buy gold subs btw.

Yeah, it obviously needs to be fixed. I'm just pointing out that since he does not have the problem, he might think it only happens on something like ancient 15 year old laptops or something. But that is NOT the case, the sound crackling can happen even on new and powerful hardware.
Mashadar

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:50 pm

Mashadar wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:Why fix an issue 98% of the playerbase has if I don't have it? I know the fix won't break anything at all, but why do it? Other people's problems aren't really problems if I don't give a fuck about them. Buy gold subs btw.

Yeah, it obviously needs to be fixed. I'm just pointing out that since he does not have the problem, he might think it only happens on something like ancient 15 year old laptops or something. But that is NOT the case, the sound crackling can happen even on new and powerful hardware.

Hey man look what I just noticed lmaooo

Sneaky loftar, why didn't you say you actually changed it? Do you have any idea how much more the community would love you if you mentioned that you check the forums and listen to your players every once in a while when they're crying about stuff?
Thanks for doing it.
Nightdawg

Next

Return to How do I?