What are you mining tips & tricks?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: What are you mining tips & tricks?

Postby MightySheep » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:20 am

Gems spawn in clusters of types so if you find a ruby, youll probably find more rubies in that area.

You have a chance with every wall you mine to uncover a troll or cave slimes so be ready to sprint away always.

You often can get a much higher quality stone axe than pickaxe earlier on so its usually better to mine for quality with stone axe.

In general mining is pretty straightforward, just spam pillars and mine in 1 direction endlessly with random side bits like --|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|-- The hardest part is grinding strength tbh. You dont need to do side shafts every 2 tiles like minecraft because ores usually spawn in clumps so I do 1 side shaft per pillar normally.

Different rock types have different strengths. Youll get used to each type eventually but some are just a hard miss until way later on, you have to make a lot of detours till you have chad stats.

You usually dont want to make mineholes directly ontop of prospected ore because youll clear half the ore node, you should make it to the side and use knowledge of hardness to try and land on something you can actually mine, its also good if you get "there is nothing below" because its a minehole straight into a cavern or tunnels.

Also have a bat cape because fighting every single bat is a pain.
MightySheep

Postby pawnchito » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:07 pm

Every time a boulder spawns have a drink and do five push ups. You will be the buffest gamer girl ever.
pawnchito

Postby kirion » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:43 am

If you have to make pillars, make those that take wood blocks. They're cheap and the mats are readily available, normally.

If you don't make pillars, learn how to play Minesweeper with the dust. From the wiki : "The amount of dust that drop is very important when trying to figure out cave-ins. If the amount dropped is 0.01, it means that there is 1 tile around it (diagonals included) that will cause a cave-in. If it is 0.02, then there is two cave-ins around that tile. The quantity can theoretically go up to 0.08, with an equal amount of cave-ins. "

If you're making a minehole, do take caution. Even if your hole is inside your palisade, someone might go from underground and enter your claim. Solution is to put a palisade around your hole with a visitor gate.
kirion

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:42 am

kirion wrote:If you have to make pillars, make those that take wood blocks. They're cheap and the mats are readily available, normally.

If you don't make pillars, learn how to play Minesweeper with the dust. From the wiki : "The amount of dust that drop is very important when trying to figure out cave-ins. If the amount dropped is 0.01, it means that there is 1 tile around it (diagonals included) that will cause a cave-in. If it is 0.02, then there is two cave-ins around that tile. The quantity can theoretically go up to 0.08, with an equal amount of cave-ins. "

If you're making a minehole, do take caution. Even if your hole is inside your palisade, someone might go from underground and enter your claim. Solution is to put a palisade around your hole with a visitor gate.

And fully soak/dry it before making the minehole!

A lot of raids happen through people misunderstanding/forgetting minehole/cave security.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby kirion » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:31 pm

Forgot to mention : It might seems like a smart move, but it isn't; DO NOT go mining on horseback. If you're unlucky and a troll spawn, you won't get some time to run away -- The troll will immediately attack you and your horse. RIP in most case.

Also if you didn't knew already, Trolls do not despawn after a while. They'll forever haunt your mine, unless you coral it away with a throwaway alt, and then make walls to prevent the troll from returning.
kirion

Postby icepie » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:04 pm

Is there a better way to get started than randomly hitting cave walls until I find my first ore?
icepie

Postby VDZ » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:17 pm

icepie wrote:Is there a better way to get started than randomly hitting cave walls until I find my first ore?

Theoretically, rustroot prospecting. Practically I find mining random walls to be more convenient.
VDZ

Postby Stoneface » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:34 pm

GO FULL INDUSTRY

Be prepared to get your skull crushed in unless you throw some alts at the first taps of exploratory cuts or find some natural mine supports.

Bring barrels of water and/or tables with settings and chair near where you mine. Make sure to get the extra skills relating to mining as soon as you can for highest ore yield, tunneling, metallurgy etc.

Make sure your miner is ready to either: A. fight til death or B. run like a bitch if you see hostile PCs or get a slime spawn.

Tar kilns impossibly important, if you ever plan on running regular smelters, much less steel... you will need it en masse. My steel factory last world (for 1 person without alts/bots) was sucking in around 3k coal per 60 hours.

Quests can sometimes have random rewards, last world I am not sure if I was blessed by Jorbtar or someone just dropped it nearby to the questgiver in the overworld but day 2 I was given a q12 pickaxe by a talking tree. I have never felt so happy to talk to a tree.

Dust piles of random goods, not the cave dust from the possible cave-ins can have combat hiding under them, so be cautious or clear them with combat capable characters.

In a PVP pinch, you can always try to crush yourself with a broken mine support and cavein-ko before raiders crunch your anoose, but they likely will anyway, so take the fact that they are in your base killin ur dudes as a sign to move to greener pastures.

Be forever patient, and good luck.

So the lumberjack gets to the forest and he prepares to snicker-snack a giant ancient looking tree...suddenly the tree says to him, "no stop wait, I'm a magical talking tree!" To which the lumberjack replies , "and you will dialogue." then he autistically chased down and cut every magical talking tree around him and went RERERE all the way home.
Stoneface

Postby NickRom0 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:51 pm

Explain about Alts. How they will hammer the walls, the strength is 1, or 10. How much does the new character have there. What can he break?

Поясните про альтов. Как они будут долбить стены, силы же 1, или 10. Сколько там у нового персонажа. Что он может раздолбить?
NickRom0

Postby Miss_Min » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:42 pm

Stoneface wrote:Tar kilns impossibly important, if you ever plan on running regular smelters, much less steel... you will need it en masse. My steel factory last world (for 1 person without alts/bots) was sucking in around 3k coal per 60 hours.

You ... do know that steel crucibles can be fed with wood blocks, right?
Miss_Min

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?