Is boat hunting even viable anymore?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Is boat hunting even viable anymore?

Postby magisticus » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:39 am

kabuto202 wrote:
Tubby_Squirrel wrote:
kabuto202 wrote:Animals like instantly run away to narnia when far above their fleeing when shot at from a boat. Did they really just nerf hermit play for no reason or is there just a different strat now?

I played as hermit last world and no, there is no magical lock on hermit stats that prevents you from being able to easily melee animals after a realtivly short time.

I know melee combat may seem intimidating buts it's mostly just a color matching game. Put is this way: last world as a gimmick I played on a tiny plot out of a burrow and even meeming as I was, I was meleeing Badgers in like ~2-3 weeks? So if you learn the system and actually play seriously you'll be able to ditch the boat hunting in no time!

Melee is not viable because the damage you end up taking makes hunting a large amount of creatures a pain and puts additional drain on Energy which you need to use to expand your base.

Thanks everyone else for the useful response in regards to aggro/deaggro, I'll give that a try.

Get some armour. Kill rodents early on for leather, with leather armour the worst you should get is a few knicks and knacks. Also it is important to learn combat moves by killing lower level animals first. Once you have done both of those melee gets easy. If you live near grassland and can get horses relatively easy that is another good way to cheese hunt early on.
magisticus

Postby VDZ » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:08 am

Halbertz wrote:Shield + Shield Block + 30 melee + something sharp = killing everything less armored than bear without damage. Doesn't sounds like high stats for me.

Zero damage at those stats? I highly doubt it. In fact, I straight up call bullshit unless you're faster than the enemy and very patient. For the record, Kabuto202 was talking about SHP damage (as the complaint was about Energy drain), not HHP damage. Wounds are avoidable (though in practice I find it more practical to just get some minor wounds to significantly speed up combat). SHP damage is not unless your openings remain super low.
VDZ

Postby telum12 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:14 am

VDZ wrote:
Halbertz wrote:Shield + Shield Block + 30 melee + something sharp = killing everything less armored than bear without damage. Doesn't sounds like high stats for me.

Zero damage at those stats? I highly doubt it. In fact, I straight up call bullshit unless you're faster than the enemy and very patient. For the record, Kabuto202 was talking about SHP damage (as the complaint was about Energy drain), not HHP damage. Wounds are avoidable (though in practice I find it more practical to just get some minor wounds to significantly speed up combat). SHP damage is not unless your openings remain super low.

you're retarded.

Hit animal. Move off. Lower openings. Repeat. If you're taking any amount of damage you have not been cured of your mental deficiency.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby VDZ » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:35 am

telum12 wrote:Hit animal. Move off. Lower openings. Repeat. If you're taking any amount of damage you have not been cured of your mental deficiency.

You need either really high stats or a LOT of patience to consistently keep all your openings below the ~20 where they start to deal SHP damage. Combat goes at least twice as fast (probably even faster) if you aim at keeping your openings below ~40 instead.
VDZ

Postby GawrGura » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:18 am

VDZ wrote:
telum12 wrote:Hit animal. Move off. Lower openings. Repeat. If you're taking any amount of damage you have not been cured of your mental deficiency.

You need either really high stats or a LOT of patience to consistently keep all your openings below the ~20 where they start to deal SHP damage. Combat goes at least twice as fast (probably even faster) if you aim at keeping your openings below ~40 instead.

I think you might just be bad
GawrGura

Postby The_Lich_King » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:30 pm

kabuto202 wrote:
Tubby_Squirrel wrote:
kabuto202 wrote:Animals like instantly run away to narnia when far above their fleeing when shot at from a boat. Did they really just nerf hermit play for no reason or is there just a different strat now?

I played as hermit last world and no, there is no magical lock on hermit stats that prevents you from being able to easily melee animals after a realtivly short time.

I know melee combat may seem intimidating buts it's mostly just a color matching game. Put is this way: last world as a gimmick I played on a tiny plot out of a burrow and even meeming as I was, I was meleeing Badgers in like ~2-3 weeks? So if you learn the system and actually play seriously you'll be able to ditch the boat hunting in no time!

Melee is not viable because the damage you end up taking makes hunting a large amount of creatures a pain and puts additional drain on Energy which you need to use to expand your base.

Thanks everyone else for the useful response in regards to aggro/deaggro, I'll give that a try.

I'm literally killing badger's, wolverines and deer right now from a boat with only 20 MC and a q25 ceramic knife. It's very viable.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby VDZ » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:01 am

GawrGura wrote:
VDZ wrote:

I think you might just be bad

So I checked, and even ants deal SHP damage at 13 opening with 26 UA Chin Up. You need to lower your openings to single digits everytime you disengage to prevent damage. Or you could just suck it up a bit and have the battle go several times faster.
VDZ

Postby telum12 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:03 am

VDZ wrote:So I checked, and even ants deal SHP damage at 13 opening with 26 UA Chin Up. You need to lower your openings to single digits everytime you disengage to prevent damage. Or you could just suck it up a bit and have the battle go several times faster.

Chin up lmao
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby kabuto202 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:23 am

I like how the first few replies were direct helpful and directly addressed my concerns, while most of the rest of the thread is a bunch of cringy neckbeards trying to dunk on VDZ by making vague remarks about their 1337 gamer skillz like they're about to roll into the HnH grand finals at EVO or some shit :roll:
kabuto202

Postby Halbertz » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:34 am

kabuto202 wrote:I like how the first few replies were direct helpful and directly addressed my concerns, while most of the rest of the thread is a bunch of cringy neckbeards trying to dunk on VDZ by making vague remarks about their 1337 gamer skillz like they're about to roll into the HnH grand finals at EVO or some shit :roll:

Sounds like skill issue for me.
Halbertz

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?