Is boat hunting even viable anymore?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Is boat hunting even viable anymore?

Postby kabuto202 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:04 am

Animals like instantly run away to narnia when far above their fleeing when shot at from a boat. Did they really just nerf hermit play for no reason or is there just a different strat now?
kabuto202

Re: Is boat hunting even viable anymore?

Postby LtTurtleshot » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:12 am

Shoot, de-aggro, attack, repeat. You have to be somewhere where they can attack you, shallow water, land, they have to be able to reach you when you reaggro them with attack.
LtTurtleshot

Postby Sevenless » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:09 am

quick peacing/aggroing as a client feature is mandatory for current hunting strategies. A Q10 sling and 10MM lets you easily hunt foxes and badgers from boat, bows will let you hunt mid tier animals. But hunting has moved towards melee fighting in recent worlds because it's hard to overcap the damage reduction on the top tier animals.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Tubby_Squirrel » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:34 pm

kabuto202 wrote:Animals like instantly run away to narnia when far above their fleeing when shot at from a boat. Did they really just nerf hermit play for no reason or is there just a different strat now?

I played as hermit last world and no, there is no magical lock on hermit stats that prevents you from being able to easily melee animals after a realtivly short time.

I know melee combat may seem intimidating buts it's mostly just a color matching game. Put is this way: last world as a gimmick I played on a tiny plot out of a burrow and even meeming as I was, I was meleeing Badgers in like ~2-3 weeks? So if you learn the system and actually play seriously you'll be able to ditch the boat hunting in no time!
Tubby_Squirrel

Postby kabuto202 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:32 pm

Tubby_Squirrel wrote:
kabuto202 wrote:Animals like instantly run away to narnia when far above their fleeing when shot at from a boat. Did they really just nerf hermit play for no reason or is there just a different strat now?

I played as hermit last world and no, there is no magical lock on hermit stats that prevents you from being able to easily melee animals after a realtivly short time.

I know melee combat may seem intimidating buts it's mostly just a color matching game. Put is this way: last world as a gimmick I played on a tiny plot out of a burrow and even meeming as I was, I was meleeing Badgers in like ~2-3 weeks? So if you learn the system and actually play seriously you'll be able to ditch the boat hunting in no time!

Melee is not viable because the damage you end up taking makes hunting a large amount of creatures a pain and puts additional drain on Energy which you need to use to expand your base.

Thanks everyone else for the useful response in regards to aggro/deaggro, I'll give that a try.
kabuto202

Postby Halbertz » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:34 pm

kabuto202 wrote:the damage you end up taking

Skill issue.
Halbertz

Postby VDZ » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:02 pm

Halbertz wrote:

Skill issue.

Taking some damage per battle is inevitable unless you have either really high stats or tons of patience.
VDZ

Postby Halbertz » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:17 am

VDZ wrote:
Halbertz wrote:

Skill issue.

Taking some damage per battle is inevitable unless you have either really high stats or tons of patience.

Shield + Shield Block + 30 melee + something sharp = killing everything less armored than bear without damage. Doesn't sounds like high stats for me.
Halbertz

Postby Tubby_Squirrel » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:20 am

kabuto202 wrote:
Tubby_Squirrel wrote:

Melee is not viable because the damage you end up taking makes hunting a large amount of creatures a pain and puts additional drain on Energy which you need to use to expand your base.

Thanks everyone else for the useful response in regards to aggro/deaggro, I'll give that a try.

Yarrow is your friend here. And if you learn the system you'll take very little damage. Stock pile some Yarrow, if you learn the system you'll mostly take knicks and knacks/scrapes and cuts that yarrow can actully heal instantly.

Besides it would behoove you to learn how to properly hunt, if you hadn't noticed they're trying to phase out boat cheese and they are going to keep making it more and more tedious with more and more down sides so you may as well learn the intended way to hunt.
Tubby_Squirrel

Postby kabuto202 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:57 am

Halbertz wrote:

Skill issue.

It probably is but given that I basically play this game for 2-3 months post wipe before my base gets swept over by some poopsocker group or some guy with billions of stats fed to him by his bot army, I'm not really invested in seeing what peak Haven performance looks like.
kabuto202

Next

Return to How do I?