Why is steel/animal husbandry/cheese the way it is?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Why is steel/animal husbandry/cheese the way it is?

Postby Einlanser » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:43 pm

What's the deal with the "check on these things every twelve hours" mechanics?

If this game were driven by ad revenue I'd get that, perhaps. There would be a "keep the servers alive" sort of rationale. At present, it feels like these mechanics exist to keep you logging in, but the game's creators don't benefit from that.

So what's up? The 'difficulty' of making steel is in whether you're willing to set an alarm to log in and check on it? Animal husbandry will be irrevocably broken if you allow folks with things like 'work' to do it? What's going to fall apart if you extend a grace period to the filthy casuals who are already going to do these things more slowly than folks with endless dedication?
Einlanser

Re: Why is steel/animal husbandry/cheese the way it is?

Postby loleznub » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:29 pm

you dont play haven for fun lol
loleznub

Postby Einlanser » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:42 pm

loleznub wrote:you dont play haven for fun lol

I'm pretty sure that's not it. Jorb says things like "stop taking everything so seriously and larp a little" and their passion for the project seems to indicate they want it to be fun.
Einlanser

Postby loleznub » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:35 pm

Einlanser wrote:
"stop taking everything so seriously and larp a little"

you've answered your own question. all of these things is literally larping... lmao
loleznub

Postby Sevenless » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:45 pm

Only steel is the check twice a day. Animals you only need to check every other day ish, cheese is once/day.

Steel is the only unreasonable one in that imo. You forgot silk btw, that's also as annoying as steel.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby The_Blode » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:43 pm

Yeah I don't understand how silk didn't make your list. Fucking up a couple batches of silk has caused me to stop playing a hearthling altogether, back in the legacy days. Usually because it's unforeseen shit preventing me from logging in.
"No, I can't help you move, I have to boil these cocoons in a video game" is not a thought I want to have, but I've always had an aversion to real-time stuff in games. I had a friend do the Biggoron Sword quest in OoT for me because being on a timer turned me useless as a kid.
The_Blode

Postby Einlanser » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:13 am

Sevenless wrote:Only steel is the check twice a day. Animals you only need to check every other day ish, cheese is once/day.

Steel is the only unreasonable one in that imo. You forgot silk btw, that's also as annoying as steel.

The_Blode wrote:Yeah I don't understand how silk didn't make your list. Fucking up a couple batches of silk has caused me to stop playing a hearthling altogether, back in the legacy days. Usually because it's unforeseen shit preventing me from logging in.
"No, I can't help you move, I have to boil these cocoons in a video game" is not a thought I want to have, but I've always had an aversion to real-time stuff in games. I had a friend do the Biggoron Sword quest in OoT for me because being on a timer turned me useless as a kid.

Good points. I'm not personally doing silk this world so it slipped my mind.
Einlanser

Postby dagrimreefah » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:23 am

Why does everyone always bitch about everything? What do people want, single click insta steel? How much easier does this game have to get before the whining stops? (hint: it will never stop)
dagrimreefah

Postby Einlanser » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:11 am

dagrimreefah wrote:Why does everyone always bitch about everything? What do people want, single click insta steel? How much easier does this game have to get before the whining stops? (hint: it will never stop)

Pretty sure you're the only person bitching, champ. I'm asking about the reason for design. Making the steel take the same amount of time but not requiring you to babysit does... what, for difficulty? Nothing? It's not *hard* to do these things, it's just silly. Let me build a hopper for the coal so I can have a job and a gaming hobby.

You can go back to pretending we're all crying for something other than improvements to archaic systems if you want.
Einlanser

Postby Audiosmurf » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:21 am

I feel like if every hermit can make steel with no fuss in arbitrary quantities it simply becomes another nothing resource that piles up with no intrinsic value
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Next

Return to How do I?