How Do I Fix a Chain of Wooden Roadsigns

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How Do I Fix a Chain of Wooden Roadsigns

Postby xyzzy57 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:46 am

There's a long chain of wooden roadsigns that runs past our claim. It seems to be bidirectional. When we upgraded to village, several of the roadsigns were on land within the village claim. We didn't want to create problems for people, so we enabled trespassing for all, and made sure the roadsigns were outside our new outer palisade.

This did not work as intended, and we got complaints from neighbours who used it.

As far as I can tell, someone following the chain can go around the palisade corner when going north west, but not when going south east - pathfinding doesn't work, perhaps because the last milestone before the corner is right next to the palisade. It does work if we have the (visitors') gates open, but routes through the gates.

I have no idea how it works if someone tries to teleport from end to end, in either direction.

And all this was tested with a village member. I'd have to create an alt to find out what it looks like to a non-member.

It looks to me like moving that ONE roadsign that's right next to the pali might fix everything. But of course they can't be moved.

Alternatively, if I could take one roadsign out (i.e. destroy it), and replace it with one, or perhaps two....

But I don't know if this can be made to work. Or precisely how to do it.

This wiki page is unclear: https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Milestone This one just refers me to the other one: https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Wooden_Roadsign Or maybe I'm dense; I've never built a chain of roadsigns - just a single-hop, one-direction pair.

So, could someone please provide simple instructions, for a relatively inexperienced player, who hopes their hearthling at least has enough strength to destroy the misplaced roadsign.
xyzzy57

Re: How Do I Fix a Chain of Wooden Roadsigns

Postby Tammer » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:56 am

Destroy one of the roadsigns.

Right click an adjacent roadsign and select "extend".

Build one or more new roadsigns.

Right click the last one you built and select "connect", then right click the old roadsign on the other side.
Tammer

Postby xyzzy57 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:03 am

When I try to destroy the signpost, I get "that trail is owned by someone."

Does this mean that the only way to fix it involves criminal acts, or finding who owns it, and getting them to grant permission?
xyzzy57

Postby Tammer » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:11 am

xyzzy57 wrote:When I try to destroy the signpost, I get "that trail is owned by someone."

Does this mean that the only way to fix it involves criminal acts, or finding who owns it, and getting them to grant permission?

Yes, that's right. Or just wait and they'll do it themselves probably.
Tammer

This came up in Discord, sorry for necro

Postby vatas » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:17 pm

Trail = wooden "signpost" or stone "milestone."

Trails have large posts at either or both of the ends (unless trail was built from one that was later destroyed.)

When large post is covered by claim, the same claim applies to all the small posts as well.

This presumably causes some wonkiness (or very least, confusion) when those small posts are covered by another claim and its owner tries to break the small ones. This action is considered a crime against the claim covering the big post, requiring crime skills unlocked, Criminal Acts on. This action makes you Red-handed/Outlaw for a period of time and leaves a Scent.

I think I've read reports that even with the above taken into account and willingness to commit a crime, someone was still unable to break small posts. In this case my only advice left is to check if you have an active Visitor buff.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby bumfrog » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:50 pm

Okay, but why IS wordle so popular?
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby Mira23 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:42 am

Tammer wrote:
xyzzy57 wrote:When I try to destroy the signpost, I get "that trail is owned by someone."

Yes, that's right. Or just wait and they'll do it themselves probably.

Waiting will probably take a long time, still try to fix it squardle
Mira23

Return to How do I?