The Art of Herding

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: The Art of Herding

Postby gravesmerch » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:05 pm

seems open gates only prevent "roam-walk"

I'm noticing males crossing gates, guess when they run for sex they won't check gate limits
gravesmerch

Postby vatas » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:57 pm

pawnchito wrote:Seems like animals can spawn multiple offspring this go. Not sure about the second portion of what you mean.

This has been a thing for ages, possibly going as far back as Legacy?

It's also realistic. Aside from from real-life sows giving birth to a litter of ten piglets, Finnish sheep normally have either twins or triplets, with the record being seven viable lambs.

Very rare exception, but cow can give birth to four calves at once.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Ukhata » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:31 pm

gravesmerch wrote:seems open gates only prevent "roam-walk"

I'm noticing males crossing gates, guess when they run for sex they won't check gate limits

noticed this too
pretty funneh
Ukhata

Postby Sevenless » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:14 pm

AndyAdjutor wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Here's the culmination of my findings and learnings about animal breeding over the past three worlds

You seems to be professional animal caretaker. So can you explain how could it be?
1 My sheep gave birth triplet, does sheeps even can make triplets?
2 Triplets is not really matters because sheep give birth mutants
I name animals with useful information to quick sorting. This is Q/BQ breeding animals, they have separate paddock. First number is Q, second is BQ. If parents line is not lying, Q38 male and Q34 female gave birth Q51 child, this is +13Q, how is it possible? I thought random can only give you +-5Q.
This is not a bug when mother name somehow was taken from another sheep, because only this sheep is lactating now, others are new ones.

Sorry I didn't notice the post:

From the time this was introduced, I remember the devs saying "All animals pregnant and growth stages last the same time, twins/triplets are possible but far more common for pigs".

The +/- on quality is -5 -> +20. +13 is perfectly reasonable.

I'd argue triplets all having different stats is good, better chance you get a good one. Keeping the RNG consistent is better I think.

vatas wrote:
pawnchito wrote:Seems like animals can spawn multiple offspring this go. Not sure about the second portion of what you mean.

This has been a thing for ages, possibly going as far back as Legacy?

It's also realistic. Aside from from real-life sows giving birth to a litter of ten piglets, Finnish sheep normally have either twins or triplets, with the record being seven viable lambs.

Very rare exception, but cow can give birth to four calves at once.

95% sure it was introduced as a mechanic when hafen launched, but could be wrong

gravesmerch wrote:seems open gates only prevent "roam-walk"

Interesting, hadn't noticed this (my milkers are on a different cave level for space efficiency). I'm curious if it'd be worth using this as a normal stall system for breeding too. If the male ends up inside the 1x2 I'd consider it lol.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby ItsFunToLose » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:42 am

I'm using trellis fences with open gates between pens and the males definitely don't see the open gates as barriers to getting laid. I'm wondering if it's a pathfinding issue with not using actual roundpole fences and just the detached gates with trellis as walls?
I like to air dribble.
ItsFunToLose

Postby Sevenless » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:56 pm

ItsFunToLose wrote:I'm using trellis fences with open gates between pens and the males definitely don't see the open gates as barriers to getting laid. I'm wondering if it's a pathfinding issue with not using actual roundpole fences and just the detached gates with trellis as walls?

Considering how rare observing breeding is, probably just a "use gates are open don't go through pathfinding" not being ticked for the breeding action.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby vatas » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:46 am

Sevenless wrote:
ItsFunToLose wrote:I'm using trellis fences with open gates between pens and the males definitely don't see the open gates as barriers to getting laid. I'm wondering if it's a pathfinding issue with not using actual roundpole fences and just the detached gates with trellis as walls?

Considering how rare observing breeding is, probably just a "use gates are open don't go through pathfinding" not being ticked for the breeding action.

In the context of programming, and especially with a project like Haven, it's perfectly possible that animals use two different pathfinders, one for "idle/wander" and another for "go and breed that female" with only the former having been given the "don't go through open gate" -check.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Sevenless » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:43 pm

Big ole discovery: Breeding quality caps truffle snout, and presumably also the other traits. It's just BQ goes up so quickly compared to those, that ignoring BQ still has it skyrocket far past those stats. But a BQ 13 truffle snout male was definitely destroying the snout value of his piglets.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Elizaberry » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:47 pm

Sevenless wrote:

So I just recently observed this. The dudes walk right through the gates and mount the ladies then they stay in the pen. Absolute chads.
Elizaberry

Postby Sevenless » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:27 pm

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

PreviousNext

Return to How do I?