Realm chat commands

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Realm chat commands

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:37 pm

I just added muting to realm chats, so I thought I'd better write up how to use it, along with perhaps the other realm-chat commands. Ideally, the client should be more self-documenting, but here we are for now.

For those not in the know, commands can be given in realm chats IRC-style, that is, by starting a chat line with a slash. For non-realm-administrators, there are three commands available:
  • /mute NAME [DURATION] -- The chat user identified by NAME is muted for the given duration, or for a day if no duration was given. Muting, unsurprisingly, means that you won't see messages from that user.
  • /unmute NAME -- Unmutes the given user.
  • /rename NAME NEW-NAME -- Change the name that you see for a given user. NAME identifies the user by his or her current name, and NEW-NAME is the name to use instead. Can be used if a user has a obnoxious or hard-to-type name, or shares a name with another user, or something like that.
As a bit of a note on usernames in realm chats, the default name used for anyone chatting is their Presentation Name (the one you set for yourself in your Kin List), unless you've kinned the character in question, in which case the name you've set in your Kin List is used instead. Since multiple characters may use the same name, the user targeted by a particular command with a certain name will always be the one who sent the last message in the realm chat. If you're having trouble with two users named the same thing, you can use the /rename command detailed above.

Arguments are delineated with spaces, using a Unix-like syntax for quoting. If a username contains a space, then you need to quote it with citation marks. If a username contains a citation mark, you need to quote that citation mark with a backslash. Backslashes can also quote spaces. For example, if someone has obnoxiously named their character User "A", then you can mute him either with /mute "User \"A\"" or with /mute User\ \"A\".

If a username is particularly hard or impossible to type, you can always address the user of the last sent message with the empty string, which would be specified as "". So if you want to mute someone whose name you can't type, just wait until he types something and do /mute "". You can also use the /rename command in the same manner to give him a name you can type.

Durations are specified in seconds by default, but can also be given a unit, as such:
  • 5s means 5 seconds.
  • 5m means 5 minutes.
  • 5h means 5 hours.
  • 5d means 5 days.
  • 5w means 5 weeks.
  • 5M means 5 months.
Finally, for realm administrators, there are also the /ban and /unban commands. These work identically to /mute and /unmute but, obviously, bans the user for everyone.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Realm chat commands

Postby Oddity » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:42 pm

loftar wrote:
  • /unmuite NAME -- Unmutes the given user.

sir there is a typo :shock:
jadamkaz wrote:ah i remember my run in with odditown they are good ppl im sure the only reason they killed ME is because they are troll hunters and i was a troll
Oddity

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:44 pm

Oddity wrote:sir there is a typo :shock:

I have no idea what you're talking about. How dare you accuse me of such sloppiness?
loftar

Postby jock » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:46 pm

loftar wrote:Finally, for realm administrators, there are also the /ban and /unban commands. These work identically to /mute and /unmute but, obviously, bans the user for everyone.

Incoming abuse :D
jock

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:46 pm

jock wrote:Incoming abuse :D

They've been there since the beginning of realm chats.
loftar

Postby jock » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:47 pm

loftar wrote:

this just encourages chat alts, banning is no good when you can just make more characters.
jock

Postby jock » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:48 pm

loftar wrote:

Something something documented :D
jock

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:48 pm

jock wrote:this just encourages chat alts, banning is no good when you can just make more characters.

Perhaps, but nevertheless nothing has changed with regards to this. Also, if you have a better idea, I'm all ears.
loftar

Postby jock » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:50 pm

loftar wrote:
jock wrote:this just encourages chat alts, banning is no good when you can just make more characters.

Perhaps, but nevertheless nothing has changed with regards to this.

well you just showed the command todo it. This might be like the digging cliff thing that's been in the game for years then you showed it off that one time now it's used.
jock

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:52 pm

jock wrote:well you just showed the command todo it. This might be like the digging cliff thing that's been in the game for years then you showed it off that one time now it's used.

I know for sure that realm administrators have already been aware of it and actively using it, so I really don't think anything has changed.
loftar

Next

Return to How do I?