How to select items for crafting recipe?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How to select items for crafting recipe?

Postby Kebatje » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:15 pm

Hi guys,

As a complete noob I have been ejoying haven alot.

I guess this is just a really simple question;

Let's say I have two stacks of stone. All with different qualities.
How do I select a particular stone for the crafting of the recipe, as opposed to using the item the game chooses for me?
I tried every click combination (I think).. so help is appreciated a lot.

Also, what is currently the most efficient way of sorting stone or wheat on quality?
I've seen someone mentioning this while transfering from inventory to crate, but I can't find it.

I currently use the client by Ender.

Thanks a lot!!
Kebatje

Re: How to select items for crafting recipe?

Postby The_Blode » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:40 pm

I would LOVE to be wrong about this but I don't think there's any way to micromanage your used items for crafting, aside from tailoring what is in your inventory when you craft it.
I have had many an occasion where I try to make a rope and accidentally use something that I forgot counted as string, like a chunk of yarn.
The_Blode

Postby Flameturtle » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:43 pm

Generally it will swap to the most recent item placed in your inventory. So if you have a rabbit hide and a mole hide and you want to make hide straps, but the mole is better, but the game is selecting the rabbit hide, you can click the rabbit hide to pick it up with your cursor, because items on your cursor are not available to craft, it'll select the molehide instead.

This also works with several of the same item, however it picks the most recently placed item into your inventory first. So if you had 3 rabbit hides and 1 mole hide and you want it to use the molehide but its got a rabbit hide selected, you would first pick up the molehide and place it back in the inventory, then pick up the rabbit hide that is selected. It will then search for the most recently placed hide into your inventory and use that, this being the molehide.

Honestly I think we're due some sort of other interface where we can specify items because I have realised while writing out this explanation that this is insanely unintuitive despite it now being second nature to me.
Flamturtle's Haven & Hearth 2.0 Combat Guide! http://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40466 - Remade for its 5th Anniversary!
PM to Contact.
Flameturtle

Postby Miss_Min » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:46 pm

Want to select a particular stone from your inventory but the game has already highlighted a different one for you?

Pick up the stone you want, put it back down (still in your inventory). Then pick up and put down the pre-selected stone that you didn't want. Your preferred stone will now be selected. If you're selecting multiple things, eg 5 bones for seers bones, you need to do them one at a time.

Want to put the highest q [stones]* in a crate first? alt+shift+left click one of the stones. If stacks are involved it will probably do it based on the average q of the stack. To get rid of the lowest-q stones, alt+shift+right click. This also works with stockpiles, but not if stacks are involved (unless that has changed? partly changed? idk).

*note that if you're actually moving stones, it only works between the same type of stone, eg all the sandstone but none of the quartz.
Miss_Min

Postby Kebatje » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:32 pm

Thanks!

This helped me so much with managing my inventory.

Cheers!
Kebatje

Return to How do I?